• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada Linea Rossa?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I though prada was doing good due to strong sales in the emerging markets, especially brazil...Am I thinking of another brand?
Prada sales are fair, but not expanding at the rate of their competition in those emerging markets (LV, Gucci, etc. are doing a lot more business than they are). My personal opinion as to why is because Prada doesn't have the "Bling" factor or the gaudy/easily identified monogramming of some of the other brands. Those black nylon bags were great in 1995-2000, but minimal is no longer much sought after. As well, they still have about $900 million in outstanding debt from a spending spree in the late 90's (they bought up stakes in Fendi, all of Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, church's, etc. etc.) and also from money-taking "epicenters" that cost 40-50 mil a pop.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Yeah, i just bought two P.S. nylon jackets from the barneys sale (originally 1000 and 500) and was pretty let down to see that they were made in Romania. I remember when all prada sport was made in Italy...

The problem is when they really skimp on the quality too. I picked up a waterproof Gore Tex jacket on Yoox some time ago but returned it since it basically fit like a tent even though it was a sz 48 and the fabric and details were just really mediocre for a luxury brand. But I have another made in Romania jacket that's very good with some interesting details and excellent fabric and fit but that was also one of those that retailed for over $1k.

I've also seen some crappy mainline Made in Italy pieces, so in the end you have to look at each garment specifically and not just the labels or country of origin. Generally I don't think the quality for the better pieces is any worse now than before no matter where it's made.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
Generally I don't think the quality for the better pieces is any worse now than before no matter where it's made.
I agree; that's one reason why I always add a caveat to the "PRADA BAD!" threads (of which this isn't really one... I'm thinking some of the older threads). Prada still knows how to put out a quality product... when it wants to do so. It's just that they also seem to put out some incredible **** at hilarious prices that it's getting harder to find the "good stuff" or requires a visit to an "epicenter."

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I will add that I believe, stylistically, this shoe is going to be more versatile, and looks more up-to-date, if you're sold on PRADA:
http://barneys.com/Bicycle%20Toe%20V...start=136&sz=1

The thinner sole may not be as comfortable for walking, though. I cannot comment on this, however, never having owned these. However, I see these as going with more outfits than the sneaker.

If you are sold on a sneaker-inspired shoe, I would say these are better than those Pradas in every way:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...550cat10650732

My dad has several pairs of these in various colors and swears by them for travel.

I've got a pair of those Tod's and also the Prada America's Cup sneaker.
The Tod's are nice but the leather is a bit soft for the beating a travel shoe will take.
Also, I find the Tod's a bit narrow and not quite as comfortable for me at least.

My Pradas have held up very well and they're my go to shoe for travel.
I've got the khaki/silver ones. The soles are pretty heavy and they give me decent foot support.

I'd never wear them in the evening going out though.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advice against those, you can get a sleeker much better looking shoe for cheaper, like common projects or something.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or Prada America's Cup in black look like orthopaedic shoes?
confused.gif

sonvolt10

Reaction score
I have a pair of Prada boots that I bought 7 years ago. They look like hell at this point but they were my everyday shoe I wore with jeans for the better part of 5-6 years. The quality is extraordinary as was the price; about $500 at the time.

My friend just got back from Prada where he saw a casual heavy soled shoe that he loved. He didn't make the purchase due to the price...$750. Ouch.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I agree; that's one reason why I always add a caveat to the "PRADA BAD!" threads (of which this isn't really one... I'm thinking some of the older threads). Prada still knows how to put out a quality product... when it wants to do so. It's just that they also seem to put out some incredible **** at hilarious prices that it's getting harder to find the "good stuff" or requires a visit to an "epicenter."

Except for some of the old Belvest-made suits, I've not seen anything from Prada in the last 15 years that could be considered to be of high quality. Not one thing.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Except for some of the old Belvest-made suits, I've not seen anything from Prada in the last 15 years that could be considered to be of high quality. Not one thing.
^Eh... that's being a little extreme. Prada didn't even have a menswear collection 15 years ago... Their top-level bags and such are still very nice... good leathers, RIRI zippers and hardware, decent piping/edging, etc. Not Hermes, of course, but also not priced like Hermes, either. Topend suits are still Belvest. They cost more than they used to... but what doesn't? Shoes are crappier than they used to be, I'll grant that... but they didn't use to be superlative, either, in comparison to others at the same price range. Sweaters, pants, cashmeres, etc. are still just as good at the very top and they still do some hand-dying elements and treatments to the materials. Nevertheless, like I said, they also produce a whole lot MORE stuff at all levels than they used to, which means the chances are that if you simply grab a garment and analyze... it will be sub-par. But, again, I think your above statement is a little extreme.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
update: I did end up getting them..got them for 40% off when Barneys was having that sale in October or whatever. I love them, so versatile and wear them frequently.

Also picked up a pair of Common Projects achilles mid-tops in black leather too...which people recommended....they're nice but I like the pradas better for comfort and ease of throwing on and off quickly.

I'll buy these shoes in the same color again when i wear the sole out or they get ratty looking. just that versatile...good upscale looking sneaker.

I took them to the philippines and wore them with jeans, shorts, in the city, to the clubs, and everywhere in between....they withstood harsh environments quite well too.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
this thread is so depressing

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sneaker-dress shoes for going to clubs are so depressing.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They totally fail the "would you buy them if they lacked the prestigious label" test.

Slippers are also comfortable and "easy to throw on and off quickly." Buy some black ones and wear them to a club. Next level shiiiit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads