• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeff Buckley

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for getting me upset on a friday.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Is this new? I've seen most all of the documentaries on both these guys and always love each of them. There was a good 30 minute one a long time ago that is still on youtube. Tim and Jeff were/are incredible

Never saw a 30 minute one. Just thought I'd post it, because it is a story worthy of a book and music worthy of being listened to over and over again.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
thanks for getting me upset on a friday.

+1 His death is more upsetting than Cobain for me. What he would have done is always on my mind. I always get bummed when his live tracks come up on my ipod. Wish I could have seen him live.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cobain almost single handedly destroyed music IMO.

brlfvr

Reaction score
numetal and F**ckin Screamo rock are a dark time in music.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm always amazed by the number of Kurt haters; I'll take him over Buckley any day, but I love them both.

Buckley's 'I Know It's Over' is the only Smiths cover I've heard that comes close to matching the original's power.

And it pwns 'Hallelujah'.

stirpot.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm not a kurt hater. I just am not a huge fan of him.

It is weird though that there is a huge jeff buckley fanbase that hasn't heard a singe song outside of "hallelujah". I mean, it's a great cover, and leonard cohen even admitted that he was thrilled jeff did something he never dreamed with the song. I still enjoy listening to Live at Sin-e more than the studio stuff.

I will say though, that i really like what he was moving towards with some of his stuff from Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk. It wasn't a finished album, but just all the stuff he was working on so of course it's a bit all over the place (didn't get to edit). I like the whole ethereal, melodic grunge type stuff he was working on with his cover of "back in nyc", "meteor slave", and some of the others. Some of it reminded me of one of my 5 favorite songs of all time, "Kangaroo" by Big Star.

It's a sub-genre i still see mostly unexplored too but that i'd love to see more of. The Brian Jonestown Massacre have a few songs that get at the kind of feeling and emotion i'm thinking of with "Kangaroo" and a few of those late Jeff Buckley songs, but brian jonestown massacre are all over the place soundwise.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
I'm always amazed by the number of Kurt haters; I'll take him over Buckley any day, but I love them both.

Buckley's 'I Know It's Over' is the only Smiths cover I've heard that comes close to matching the original's power.

And it pwns 'Hallelujah'.

stirpot.gif

No hate was meant from my comment. I respect Cobain's songwritting. To me Buckley was one of those rare talents that go cut soo short.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Yea, jeff really had it all. The voice, the songwriting, lyrics, composition skills, pedigree, bit of psycho trauma, just the right balance between goofy humbleness and pretentiousness. Plus, he was pretty dreamy
jeffB_01.jpg
I know his mom was talking about a movie based on his life that was in discussion like 8 years ago. I thought some kind of script was either already in the works with a writer that did some solid movies in the past. It'll probably get made someday, but not for a good while. All i know is that they need to start making it now while James Franco still looks EXACTLY like jeff buckley http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Trn3KmzN4f...mes+Franco.JPG

bullethead

Reaction score
i still listen to 'grace' on a regular basis. he really was a talented guy.

as for cobain and all the hate. I'm not really a fan one way or another , however i can't really see anyone disputing that 'rock music' needed a shake up in '90. the metal scene was laughable and no one offered any alternative (pardon the pun)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads