• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burkman Bros.

lesserevil

Reaction score
Really feeling this line right now. Great take on the American aesthetic.

Anyone have any detail pics?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried some stuff on at Bergdorf's two weeks ago, wasn't too impressed... There was a chambray design that I liked but it was so thin I could almost see through it.

rupertwaddles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
Tried some stuff on at Bergdorf's two weeks ago, wasn't too impressed... There was a chambray design that I liked but it was so thin I could almost see through it.

That's disappointing to hear, I loved the pictures I saw on ACL
frown.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Saw it at Kesner today...meh, serves a niche I guess.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen how many blogs are trying to push this crap? People keep submitting it to NotCoture and each blog seems to suck them off as if this is fantastic stuff. I do see a few pieces here and there but even then I see the same stuff from LL Bean. Even Gap has plaid popovers for Christsake. Have I not seen it in the right context or is this stuff just a really uninspired Abercrombie/LL Bean/Gap Mashup nightmare? Link for reference: http://acontinuouslean.com/2009/02/03/burkman-brothers/ Lots more to be found. another blog link is on the front page of Notcoture. EDIT: I am an unoriginal thinker, looks like the commenters on ACL don't like it much either.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this brand get no SF love.
I am really feeling this shirt.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to see it in person, but to be honest it all looks like it came from Rugby RL. That chambray is interesting, but it has all kinds of selvage in odd places.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
from what I've seen on blogs, I'm really impressed, the shorts, khakis and the madras look great, but I've yet to see any of it in person, therefore like some others, i'm pretty surprised by the lack of enthusiasm among those who've seen it.

riraito

Reaction score
seems like the looks are uninspiring but i guess the money lies in the construction and fit.. both of which i'll never be able to gauge on the internet

jenkinslaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by riraito
seems like the looks are uninspiring but i guess the money lies in the construction and fit.. both of which i'll never be able to gauge on the internet

Saw some of this stuff at Barney's. Decent construction and quality (certainly better than LL Bean, Abercrombie, etc.), but not to the extent it would justify their price at retail. I would consider buying at a discount if I needed some generic outdoor/work wear. Of course, not too many brands that actually are justified at retail, I suppose!
biggrin.gif

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so the blogs hyped it up for me too and i picked up a baggier SS09 shirt. material's super-soft, fit's great as a casual summer shirt, and it's a decent deal at the 50% off i paid for it.

their FW is at co-op now and...no, i wouldn't pay retail for it. colors are rich but design, style etc. is nothing crazy compared to LL Bean, Gap, etc.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a madras pullover (I refuse to call it a hoodie, but that's what it is I guess). Got it at Barney's on sale. I like the color and fit, which seems more slim than other less expensive places (Gap, Bean). I need L or XL for the height and sleeve length, but I am fairly slim. Many brands seem to have to cater to the largest of the population in order to sell L and XL and make tents.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went over to Barneys at lunch to try on the shirt. I was not impressed at all. Felt like the fit was crap and way overpriced.

alex99

Reaction score
I was not impressed with the stuff I saw at Barneys except for one shirt which caught my eye. It fit me really well, and I bought it based on fit, comfort, and styling. It's this one:

http://www.barneys.com/Plaid%20Sport...efault,pd.html

Note that the shirt looks washed out in the photo above. It's darker in person. I've only washed the shirt once but construction seems very good, stitching is good, and it fits great so I have no complaints.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads