• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do

TowleY

Reaction score
I feel like working out, but I cant. The gyms at my college are terrible. The one closest to me (in my dorm) consists of 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, and 1 free weight bar. All of which are nearly impossible to get to. The other gym at the student activities center consists of about 10 treadmills or so, and a few machines and free weights. Its not a bad gym but there are never les than about 50 people working out there. The treadmills have at least a 3 hour weight for a 30 minutes session. When it warms up im going to try and run outside other than that...

Any ideas?

Oh and there is noather gym at he sports complex. To bad the nice one is reserved for athletes.

Oh and does anyone know where I can buy a pin to put in machine weights. All the machines here dont have any.

mkerr

Reaction score
1) go to a better gym.

2) buy a cheap home gym setup (my choice. paid $500AUD for a squat cage, 150kg weights, bench, dumbells, barbells. so damn good not having to que, drive to the gym, workout in what you want, listening to what you want, watching tv, blah blah blah. why pay for gym membership when slightly more buys you a simple setup?)

3) do some lame bodyweight workout

4) give up.

choose one.

Taxler

Reaction score
Why does exercise and fitness have to be artifically induced? Can't you just go and do something?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any gym is good enough. unless you're highly advanced, there is no need to move beyond the big six.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have the largest student recreation center in the country.[/brag] But seriously, your place sounds pretty lame for a college. You're at Stony Brook right? I once saw the UAlbany gym and it was pretty awful.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I once saw the UAlbany gym .

I call bullshit.

Kique

Reaction score
We have the largest student recreation center in the country.[/brag]

You go to OSU? It used to be the biggest, but U of Illinois just built a brand new rec thats bigger. [/brag]
tounge.gif

adversity04

Reaction score
Go at off hours. I know our gym is pretty packed during lunch and 5+, but it should be no problem as a college kid to go at off peak times.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkerr
1) go to a better gym.

2) buy a cheap home gym setup (my choice. paid $500AUD for a squat cage, 150kg weights, bench, dumbells, barbells. so damn good not having to que, drive to the gym, workout in what you want, listening to what you want, watching tv, blah blah blah. why pay for gym membership when slightly more buys you a simple setup?)

3) do some lame bodyweight workout

4) give up.

choose one.

I cant go to a better gym since im a freshmanwithout a car. I cant fit a home gym in my dorm room, Probably doomed to a lame bodyweight workout.

We have the largest student recreation center in the country.[/brag] But seriously, your place sounds pretty lame for a college. You're at Stony Brook right? I once saw the UAlbany gym and it was pretty awful.

Lucky to have something like that. Yea im at stony brook im guessing its the same for all SUNY school gyms :|

Originally Posted by adversity04
Go at off hours. I know our gym is pretty packed during lunch and 5+, but it should be no problem as a college kid to go at off peak times.

Yea for us, its the same thing except probably even earlier since the demand of the gym. Plus MWF i have class 9-2, Tuesday from 11-7( might be able to squeeze a workout in before), and thursday is spread out might be able to do thursdays.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TowleY
I feel like working out, but I cant. The gyms at my college are terrible. The one closest to me (in my dorm) consists of 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, and 1 free weight bar. All of which are nearly impossible to get to. The other gym at the student activities center consists of about 10 treadmills or so, and a few machines and free weights. Its not a bad gym but there are never les than about 50 people working out there. The treadmills have at least a 3 hour weight for a 30 minutes session. When it warms up im going to try and run outside other than that...

Any ideas?

Find out when the gyms are less crowded and work out then. Typically this is early in the morning as soon as they open up.

Edit: adversity already mentioned this, but its a good idea

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
any gym is good enough. unless you're highly advanced, there is no need to move beyond the big six.

+1. Soon the OP will realize it's a blessing he gets to work out with free weights instead of machines.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
http://www.bodyweightculture.com

http://www.rosstraining.com - buy his Never Gymless book.

If you think that working out has to be in a gym, you are just looking for excuses to not work out.

Thats not what I think, im trying to find ways to make it without the gym.

Originally Posted by whacked
+1. Soon the OP will realize it's a blessing he gets to work out with free weights instead of machines.

I prefer free weights over machines anyway.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited a city-run gym yesterday with a friend and was disappointed to see that they did not have a squat rack...

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TowleY
Its not a bad gym but there are never les than about 50 people working out there. The treadmills have at least a 3 hour weight for a 30 minutes session. When it warms up im going to try and run outside other than that...

If there's room for it, a jump rope may solve your cardio problems. Great workout too.

I've worked out in some ******, rusted gyms with broken equipment. Once there's a will, there's a way. It may not be ideal but as others have already said, you just need to stick to the basics. It's been my experience that most people stick to doing ***** lifts that are great for their "beach muscles" but it's always possible to get in a good workout by improvising.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads