• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne Style Cropped Trousers are Perfect for Bicycling

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can never remember to roll my trousers up and they don't seem to sell that clip thing here in China (though they no doubt produce it). I have mangled several trousers ankles, but I am also am too lazy to worry about it.

I'm going over to a Thom Browne length of trouser. All those jokes about the length failed to grasp their practicality.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... But are they practical once you're off the bike?

That's the questions I haven't gotten over, maybe you're just already there.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
... But are they practical once you're off the bike? That's the questions I haven't gotten over, maybe you're just already there.
that is a problem. I ride a bike every day though. Anyway, these days everyone knows thom browne anyway. His photo is even in obscure direct marketing magazines in second-tier chinese cities. People will probably just say: "Ah, the Thom Browne look." I will say "Yes, it works for bicycling." I'll come off as balsy, fashionable, and practical. It's hard to be all three.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Browne is a visionary. I think the world will learn to appreciate his style designs many years from now. I don't like his runway stuff but I can understand the exaggerated aesthetics.
smile.gif

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thom Browne Style Cropped Trousers are Perfect for Bicycling
teacha.gif
Thom Browne trousers are perfect for anything.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Browne is a visionary. I think the world will learn to appreciate his style designs many years from now. I don't like his runway stuff but I can understand the exaggerated aesthetics.
smile.gif

People who oppose browne probably don't believe in global warming. If they did, they would see the need for trouser lengths that prepare for the increased amount of flooding that will affect low level urban areas over the next seven decades. They would also immediately see that this length of trousers is perfect for bicycling, which is a way of cutting down on carbon emissions. Suburbanites with their high-consumption lifestyles and automobiles are the ones whose trousers break.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
People who oppose browne probably don't believe in global warming. If they did, they would see the need for trouser lengths that prepare for the increased amount of flooding that will affect low level urban areas over the next seven decades. They would also immediately see that this length of trousers is perfect for bicycling, which is a way of cutting down on carbon emissions.

Suburbanites with their high-consumption lifestyles and automobiles are the ones whose trousers break.

You just blew my mind.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

People who oppose browne probably don't believe in global warming. If they did, they would see the need for trouser lengths that prepare for the increased amount of flooding that will affect low level urban areas over the next seven decades. They would also immediately see that this length of trousers is perfect for bicycling, which is a way of cutting down on carbon emissions.

Suburbanites with their high-consumption lifestyles and automobiles are the ones whose trousers break.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
You just blew my mind.
When I first saw the Thom Browne trousers, my reaction was "wow, they're really running out of ideas; that's clearly just for the runway and a few fashion slaves in Lower Manhattan" as any sensible person might think. Not that I come close to being sensible, but I'm quite sure that most on this forum do. Then, yesterday, I was forced into a pair of trousers that an incompetent tailor had shortened by about an inch and a half more than he should have. I had requested "no-break" but some Chinese tailors overcompensate when faced with requests that they deem nonsensical. It may also be that the extra inch I have put on around my waist forced me to pull the trousers up by an extra inch to a region that is still slimish. It so happened, that literally all of my other non-suit trousers that aren't in loud plaids were at the laundry or in that pile I haven't touched for three months that should be going to the laundry. So, I rode and walked around in these too-short trousers all day and, in fact, found it to be quite liberating and convenient.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rapha is working with Timothy Everest to come up with a bespoke cycling suit.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuck your trousers into your socks, yes you will looks stupid on the bike, but once you get of the bike you can look normal. With the Thom Browne style you will look stupid on the bike, and then for the rest of the day.

axe

Reaction score

You bring forth a paradox; by wearing TB and bicycling (therefore reducing greenhouse gas emissions) you're curbing global warming, thus making the benefits the trouser length provide in case of flooding moot.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
You bring forth a paradox; by wearing TB and bicycling (therefore reducing greenhouse gas emissions) you're curbing global warming, thus making the benefits the trouser length provide in case of flooding moot.

You may be right, but I don't know enough about the rules of logic to know for sure.

Doesn't this speak to a paradox that would plague anyone who is both making preparations for a new world affected by global warming and, concurrently, behaving in ways that will curb global warming?

Is it a paradox if you are stockpiling food in case of a nuclear winter and, at the same time, using diplomacy to avert nuclear war?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads