• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OCBD roundup (with pictures)

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I am like wmmk and want a perfect fitting ocbd, luckily I found it within BoO... if I was wearing other brands that did not fit as well, I would feel sloppy, and not like what I was wearing.. being that I am relatively short (5'8) yet not super skinny, I need to be picky about fit or else i end up looking even shorter

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
BOO shirts fit me very well, which makes me a happy camper. The issue is that you'll never find a brand that always fits you perfectly, because between seasons, or even shirt-to-shirt, there will be sizing differences, however minute. You can either embrace having shirts that fit differently and work with different combinations, or you can turn to and have everything done MTM or bespoke.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried the new LL Bean trim fit? I think I'm going to order a couple sizes to try it out.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Not everything needs to be super slim/fitted. Look for some variety in your shirts.

Originally Posted by davo10375
agree with Teger 100000% this whole obsession with slim as possible shirts gets annoying. Brian with jeans there is not need for shirts to fit perfectly i agree, shirts look best with jeans when they are worn sloppy and it doesn't look like you spent 40 minutes getting dressed after putting on your base and mascara. It's a casual outfit; just chuck some jeans and a shirt on and you should be good to go without worrying so much. Your a thin dude wmmk so play around with proportions more if you can

I agree but what I do hate is that If I go for a looser fitting button up, it also happens to be the case that the sleeves are gigantic.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
I agree but what I do hate is that If I go for a looser fitting button up, it also happens to be the case that the sleeves are gigantic.

I like the slim fitting shirts for me for sure, but I can certainly deal with looser fitting shirts as well. It all depends on what I wear on any given day. Now the one thing I wish would change as a whole/universally would be the damn Titanic sized arms found on the majority of OCBD's/shirts out there on the market. It's ridiculously frustrating trying on a shirt (i.e. Express, J.Crew, etc.) supposedly slim fit or tailored that fits well in the chest and neck, but then have the arms drowning in so much extra fabric, especially in the smaller sizes. On average, who the f**k wears a small yet has the arms of a tree trunk?!

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italians from the NY metro area.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I like the slim fitting shirts for me for sure, but I can certainly deal with looser fitting shirts as well. It all depends on what I wear on any given day. Now the one thing I wish would change as a whole/universally would be the damn Titanic sized arms found on the majority of OCBD's/shirts out there on the market. It's ridiculously frustrating trying on a shirt (i.e. Express, J.Crew, etc.) supposedly slim fit or tailored that fits well in the chest and neck, but then have the arms drowning in so much extra fabric, especially in the smaller sizes. On average, who the f**k wears a small yet has the arms of a tree trunk?!

Yeah arms are always too big for me.. Who has a 35 or 36 inch chest and jacked arms? Tiny guidos? Why are j crew shirts tailored for lil guidos?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
j crew shirts are not designed to fit human beings

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
Yeah arms are always too big for me.. Who has a 35 or 36 inch chest and jacked arms? Tiny guidos? Why are j crew shirts tailored for lil guidos?

29395265xz8.jpg

You would deny this man a well fitting shirt?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bloody brilliant thread - thanks heaps WMMK! I have broad shoulders and a narrow waist - must get slimish shirts if I don't want to look like my head is poking out the top of the circus tent. Kent Wang's are currently my best bet, though they still need sleeves shortened and waist tapered a little. Might also try CT next time their slim OCBDs are discounted deeply.

drop

Reaction score
Dry cleaner/tailor<actual tailor<mtm<bespoke. If you're gonna be picky about exact specs, just pony up and pay to have it made.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Agree, I don't understand why people pay $$$ for otr when mtm is often cheaper.

BTW, etiquette question: button down shirt worn untucked - collar buttoned or unbuttoned?

Wags

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
BTW, etiquette question: button down shirt worn untucked - collar buttoned or unbuttoned?
unbuttoned unless you're a cholo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads