• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody else have this issue with barbers?

millionaire75

Reaction score
I started getting a buzzcut about two years ago. I've tried varying lengths and recently figured that a number 5 attachment is ideal for me because it is short but not too short where the hair sticks up. The only problem is almost every barber I go to says that they don't have a "number 5 attachment." They say they can achieve the same effect by cutting with no attachment to the same length of the number 5. I find that is not the case at all. Just cutting the ends of the hair with a clipper instead of running the clipper with attachment through the hair achieves two very different looks. I find the plastic attachments give a softer, more consistent look to the hair. I have gone to 5 or 6 barbers in the area and none of them use the plastic attachments to cut the hair. Does this strike anyone as odd? Would a hair salon have a better chance of using the attachments? I've actually run my own clippers through my hair (with the 5 attachment) at home and it looks great. The thing is it's pretty messy and there is a big chance of error when cutting your own hair. Any suggestions?

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the reason I quit using barbers: they're mostly stuck in the past+I have rather thick unruly hair that require some advanced skills

awxg

Reaction score
I thought it only went up to 3. Anyway, I would just get my own machine and cut my own hair...it's just a buzzcut anyway. Would save you a lot of cash too.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
either learn to do it yourself or go to a cheap salon (less than $12 should be easy to find). you don't need a good stylist to buzz your hair.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
I thought it only went up to 3. Anyway, I would just get my own machine and cut my own hair...it's just a buzzcut anyway. Would save you a lot of cash too.

mine goes to 11

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
mine goes to 11

Well done. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
I started getting a buzzcut about two years ago. I've tried varying lengths and recently figured that a number 5 attachment is ideal for me because it is short but not too short where the hair sticks up. The only problem is almost every barber I go to says that they don't have a "number 5 attachment." They say they can achieve the same effect by cutting with no attachment to the same length of the number 5. I find that is not the case at all. Just cutting the ends of the hair with a clipper instead of running the clipper with attachment through the hair achieves two very different looks. I find the plastic attachments give a softer, more consistent look to the hair. I have gone to 5 or 6 barbers in the area and none of them use the plastic attachments to cut the hair. Does this strike anyone as odd? Would a hair salon have a better chance of using the attachments? I've actually run my own clippers through my hair (with the 5 attachment) at home and it looks great. The thing is it's pretty messy and there is a big chance of error when cutting your own hair. Any suggestions?

I don't think there's a huge chance of error. Just put some newspaper on the floor of your bathroom and wrap your hair clippings up when you're done. To minimize error, just run through your hair repeatedly. You'll learn to do it by feel. Although I cut my hair to #2 so it's much easier for me to detect error in my hair-cutting.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is really that important to you, maybe you can go buy the attachment and bring it with you. I believe they are universal fit.

I abandoned barbers with clippers about 5 years ago. That's another option.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
If it is really that important to you, maybe you can go buy the attachment and bring it with you. I believe they are universal fit.

I abandoned barbers with clippers about 5 years ago. That's another option.

have you tried bringing your own attachment? this sounds so simple in theory but I feel like they would like at me like I was an as*hole...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Never done it, but I suspect it would mostly get a chuckle from your average old barber as long as you played it right....

"clip it to number 5 please"
"i dont have a 5, only up to 3"
"well....funnily enough I just so happen to have..."

That kind of conversation with a smile will probably go over fine with your friendly neighbourhood guy.

Supertarheel

Reaction score
The attachment seems weird to me to, but it couldn't be that bad.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just buy it since you've already gone throught this much hassle. If they're put off by it, even when you're cordial about the situation, then they're not a personality who I'd want to do business.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different companies use different numbered attachments. For example, one can't use Andis clipper attachments on Wahl clippers or Oster clippers because they are made for their clippers respectively.

Maybe you could look up what a #5 is on your respective clipper attachment and tell your barber that you like your hair to be x inches (which is what your # 5 attachment would be)? I do trust that your barbers can cut to the right measurement. It's not hard if they've got a lot of experience.

I'd suggest finding a barber that cuts your hair the way you like.

There is a very slight difference between cutting with scissors and clippers and razors but I would find it hard to believe that you can't find a barber that could do a good job on your hair somewhere nearby.

Maybe you can take your attachment along with you and at least show them (as someone else suggested)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads