• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chucks vs GTs vs Desert Boots vs Sperrys

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These four seem to be the staple shoes of Streetwear & Denim. How do you guys decide when to wear which one?
eh.gif

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any of those; I don't even know what a GTS is.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While they're technically not chucks, vans authentics are within the same canvas category. They are my favorite and most worn shoe because they're so versatile. I have three pairs in white, blue, and brown and wear them just about everywhere, even to work on occasion. The white pair are beginning to get just the right amount of dirty. Perfect for going to shows. I just wish the winter hadn't been so harsh this year, or they would have been worn more.

I just recently started wearing Sperrys as my "work" shoe, and they've been great so far. They go well with chinos, but I'm reluctant to wear them with my APC NS's. Perhaps when the warmer spring days come around, I'll cuff the jawns a bit to show a little ankle.

As far as desert boots are concerned, I'm still waiting to buy a pair. They'll probably be my next splurge on a new shoe purchase.

Red Wings are a bit too pricey at the moment. Plus, winter will soon be behind us. I'll wait until next fall to pull the trigger on a pair of those.

rapdancin

Reaction score
to be honest i find converse to be pretty low quality and prefer vans authentics as well

i've had a pair of purcells rip right through the bottom, and the bottom seems to be coming off on my chucks now too :/

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of sperry's and about to buy another in navy. I also recently purchased a new pair of chucks. Sure chucks arent highest of quality but I mean come on they are not that expensive and last long enough.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Desert boots look the least like normal folk peasant wear despite being cheap.

Racove

Reaction score
Alternate daily according to season. DB & GT in fall/winter. CT & STS in spring/summer.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rapdancin
to be honest i find converse to be pretty low quality and prefer vans authentics as well

i've had a pair of purcells rip right through the bottom, and the bottom seems to be coming off on my chucks now too :/

yeah i would pick vans slip ons and authentics over chucks any day for look and comfort!

i dont like that whole toe cap nonsense

jordansmith123

Reaction score
I wear PF Flyers, it's very comfortable. I wear my black and white one all the time.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
While they're technically not chucks, vans authentics are within the same canvas category. They are my favorite and most worn shoe because they're so versatile. I have three pairs in white, blue, and brown and wear them just about everywhere, even to work on occasion. The white pair are beginning to get just the right amount of dirty. Perfect for going to shows. I just wish the winter hadn't been so harsh this year, or they would have been worn more.

do you have true white or that off white? i feel like getting true white is like having nurse shoes or something. and then again i dont want to get them all dirty at once either haha

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i took off my authentics shoe laces and lost them, I need to go out and buy a pair of laces.

for some reason though I have been liking low top shucks more than van authentics, maybe its because everyone around here wears authentics.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends on situations and what else you're wearing.

On another note, yet another worthless Tycoon thread. You're like the merkur of SW&D.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
do you have true white or that off white? i feel like getting true white is like having nurse shoes or something. and then again i dont want to get them all dirty at once either haha

Hmm, it's been a while, but I think they were the off-white. When I bought them I didn't realize there was a difference. There's a Vans outlet near my parents house, so I pick up authentics if they ever make it to clearance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads