• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

70's style powder blue tux

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Does anyone still make these other than shoddily made "costume" versions? I think it would be hilarious to get one of these with the slanted pockets and dark blue trim on the pockets/lapel, ruffled shirt and wear it to some of the more uptight black tie events I attend. Any luck or will I have to have one made?

JeffC

Reaction score
We're going to a place where the water flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of capistrano.

Why go to the black tie event if you don't want to be there?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the powder blue tux, you want to find yourself a denim one.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you only want one because it would be "hilarious" why do you care about the quality? I would think a crappy, low quality powder blue tux would be just as offensive (er...hilarious) as an expensive, high quality one.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffC
We're going to a place where the water flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of capistrano.

Why go to the black tie event if you don't want to be there?

Who said I don't want to be there. I attend a lot of events and by and large enjoy them, but why not lighten it up with a change of pace every now and again. I think it would be well received.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
If you only want one because it would be "hilarious" why do you care about the quality? I would think a crappy, low quality powder blue tux would be just as offensive (er...hilarious) as an expensive, high quality one.

It would be amusing, but I would still like it to look good.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
It would be amusing, but I would still like it to look good.

My brain cannot comprehend this statement.

Kris

Reaction score
There are tons of brand new deadstock 70s tuxedos on eBay. I can't vouch that they are "decent," and I'm not sure what the **** that means in terms of 70s tuxedos.

For the record, no pair of powder blue pants (tux or no tux) is complete without a few unidentified yellowish stains on the dick area. Go to a thrift store and look for powder blue pants... You'll see: all stainy stained. So if you buy a powder blue tux, or have one made (wtf), be sure to jaundice the front of those trousers to execute the look properly.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you like to sacrifice class for attention
plain.gif

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
So you like to sacrifice class for attention
plain.gif

Naw I think he wants both- hence the search for a decent one.

Tous les deux, n'est ce pas?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
Naw I think he wants both- hence the search for a decent one.

Tous les deux, n'est ce pas?

Just because a garment is well made that doesnt mean its classy.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually had to wear a bloody powder-blue tux as an usher at my cousin's wedding back in '68 or '69.

NEVER AGAIN!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads