• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Shirtmaker in NYC?

davidsj

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a place that will make some nice shirts for around $100/shirt in New York City. Does anyone know of a good place?

davidsj

Reaction score
Perhaps I've been spoiled by shirtmakers in Hong Kong. What can I get for $100?

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CEGO

http://www.cego.com/

the principal is a member here on SF. His handle is shirtmaven. Do a search on SF for CEGO and you'll see that he is known for quality.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get shirts ordered in NYC for under $100. porvided they are made in Hong Kong.

I have about 10 fabrics at my opening price point of $95. some are Ok and some are just weird old fabrics that were bought inexpensively.

Carl

bobdobalina

Reaction score
To be fair, I couldn't tell a "good" shirt from a "great" shirt but as far as I can tell, CEGO is quite good. The shirts fit me perfectly and they have thus far survived quite a few launderings.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
some are just weird old fabrics that were bought inexpensively.
That's selling it!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have about 10 fabrics at my opening price point of $95. some are Ok and some are just weird old fabrics that were bought inexpensively.
Classic. I love this. If a customer were to move up to around $125, wouldn't they have a better selection? That's not much of a premium to pay for some fabric choice. Under $100, I think you're looking at Chinese/Hong Kong MTM places, where the quality and fit will not be as good as at CEGO, I'm sure.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love my CEGO OCBDs. Low 3 figures, but not sub $100.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have seen shirts from many of the HK shirtmakers, quality is pretty standard and well made. the lower priced shirtmakers cheat on buttons and fusing and of course offer questionable chinese made fabrics.

In my line, The low priced fabrics are bought and held by the factory in Jersey. there are some 80/2 pinpoint fancies as well as some 50/1 pima cotton. again not awful fabric but not for everyones taste.
but a basic blue or white shirt in broacloth, oxford or pinpoint oxford runs around $110

CCVLE, stop worrying about the term MTM or bespoke.
If you want a real paper pattern made in my on site workroom, you can expect to pay a minimum of $175 for the same pinpoint fabric and there is a five shirt minimum.
Carl

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have shirts from CEGO ranging from about $120 to about $225. There is a clear difference in fabric quality, but the great thing about Carl is that the fit is the same and you get the same service whether you are a rich guy or a working stiff.

Wouldn't get my shirts anywhere else (and haven't since the first time I went into his shop)

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen shirts from many of the HK shirtmakers, quality is pretty standard and well made. the lower priced shirtmakers cheat on buttons and fusing and of course offer questionable chinese made fabrics.

In my line, The low priced fabrics are bought and held by the factory in Jersey. there are some 80/2 pinpoint fancies as well as some 50/1 pima cotton. again not awful fabric but not for everyones taste.
but a basic blue or white shirt in broacloth, oxford or pinpoint oxford runs around $110

CCVLE, stop worrying about the term MTM or bespoke.
If you want a real paper pattern made in my on site workroom, you can expect to pay a minimum of $175 for the same pinpoint fabric and there is a five shirt minimum.
Carl

what kind of threadcount do you imagine the average Jos A Bank shirt is?

davidsj

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check this place out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads