• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments on suits from ebay?

mindonhiatus

Reaction score
Hello everybody, first let me introduce myself, my name is Ben! I'm slender (130lbs) and average height (5'8"), I like to wear clothes that fit me and aren't boxy (...slim clothes), I'm looking for a nice slim suit but those are hard to come by around here, I'm wondering what your opinions are on these two that I've found on ebay? Item number: 260357157828 and Item number: 180331397424 The first is made out of "Rayon & spantex"... never heard of those materials, any info on them? also, do you think these are actually aldo shoes or imitations? They look almost identical to a pair that I paid $95 for. Item number: 350171966568

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
I ask that you commit at least 30 days to paying attention to this forum before you make any more purchases.

Trust me on this one.

mindonhiatus

Reaction score
I've been trolling the forum for a long time, I just decided to sign up to ask about these suits. Is there something wrong (in your opinion) with the style of the suits I've posted? I know that they're not the best suits, but as far as the pictures and feedback go they appear to be decent quality and well fitting. [edit] I wasn't asking for advice on posting in the forum
smile.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Aldos look suspect. Genuine Aldos have a waist treatment and suppleness to their leather that easily distinguishes them from well known SF favorites like Edward Green and Lobb.

Tthe spantex looks to be a very fine grade of spantex though.

mindonhiatus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Tthe spantex looks to be a very fine grade of spantex though.

What kind of material is it though? For example, I was in H&M the other day and decided to just take a look at their suits (for fun, wasn't planning on buying anything) and (I don't know what material it was) the suit was made out of a rather stiff noisy material which I would hate to be wearing all the time. I HATE noisy clothes.
mad.gif

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
The style is fine, slim guys have all the fun.

Personally, as for materials, I would stay away from anything wool blend, rayon, spandex, polyester, microfiber, or teflon. I've had my fair share of crappy polyester hot box suits. Stick with worsted wool for a suit. or some kind of wool/silk.

The shoes are probably real, they are $45 on the aldo website, but bicycle toe + square are IMHO absolutely hideous. Maybe fashion forward for the year 1999, but not a classic in the least.

I don't know much, but I do know that that attire will probably be complete junk a year from now. (in terms of durability).

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mindonhiatus
What kind of material is it though? For example, I was in H&M the other day and decided to just take a look at their suits (for fun, wasn't planning on buying anything) and (I don't know what material it was) the suit was made out of a rather stiff noisy material which I would hate to be wearing all the time. I HATE noisy clothes.
mad.gif

Rayon is what used to be known as 'artificial silk'. Think wearing a plastic bag.

You don't want a suit in anything less than a wool blend with a high proportion of wool, unless you're looking for a summer suit when wrinkly old cotton or linen work.

mindonhiatus

Reaction score
so all-in-all, do you think the price is too much for a suit of that quality, or about right?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Valentino suits for 300 in the B&S forum and those shoes are a ******* disaster.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the states, but at least in the UK you can get a well cut pure wool suit in the clearance sales for around £100. Yes it will be fused rather than half-canvased, but it will serve you better than those you've linked to.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rayon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon

SpanDex (I'm assuming that's what the auction actually means): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandex

Do YOU want to own a suit made of these materials? I certainly don't.

As for the shoes. As a man who, on occasion, will commit the SF capital crime of wearing a pair of boxy shoes, I say it's doesn't matter if they're real or knockoffs - Run VERY far away from those hideous beasts.

CityGent

Reaction score
Judging by your responses so far, I think the eBay items you reference are a perfect fit for you. Please do purchase them, and leave the good stuff for those of us who know better.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
and those shoes are a ******* disaster.

Hahaha. Yes...they...are.

JTA

Reaction score
I would second all of the advise above.

Please do not jump to make the purchase yet. It is better to do research first and you will get the best economic value for the amount you will splash out.

mindonhiatus

Reaction score
haha! Wow, I guess I know the general opinion on these suits and shoes!

OK, as for the shoes being horrible... I really like this style and have received quite a few compliments on the ones that I own. So as much of a crime as it may seem, I still like the style.

As for the suits, I will take your advice and steer clear- I wear a suit 4-5 days a week and I understand the value of a comfortable quality suit... it's just so damn hard to find what I'm looking for! I'm a small fellow and very few (affordable) places make 36R slimfit suits.

If anyone here (and I know somebody must) knows where I can get a slim black (willing to compromise on color) suit in 36R for under $300 please let me know (unfortunately, that's all I can spend).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads