• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

INTERVIEW on Wed. - I haven't worn a suit in 10 years - HELP!

aforlano

Reaction score
Hey gang, 1st post here, please be kind. Here's the story. Once upon a time, I use to work in the 'real world' (The Tribune Company), and I wore suits from time to time. I left that world and opened my own company, and decided to live a more casual lifestyle. Well, with the economy being what it is, I've had to close my business and venture back out into the corporate world. I have an interview on Wednesday (2 days), and have to throw together an interview outfit in a hurry, and on the cheap. Here's what I have so far: Pronto Uomo black 2-button suit (pleated pants) - 50 reg. jacket, 46w pants. http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...8_BLACK_10051# Joseph & Feiss charcoal 2-button suit (flat-front pants) - 4 reg. jacket, 46w pants. White dress shirt (Dillards Roundtree & York button-collar - 18 1/2 x 33 - yes, I have short arms!) Acrue dress shirt (older shirt, I don't even remember brand - 18 x 33 - a bit tight in the neck) Black belt/silver buckle Cordovan belt/gold buckle Franco Fortini black square-tip dress shoes (worn maybe twice). Some other pair of older cordovan dress loafers, rounded toe, tassles Donald Trump red tie w/ tiny white squares (basic power tie). A LARGE collection of (older) Jerry Garcia ties. A few Bill Blass ties. socks, etc. The ties (with the exception of the Trump tie)are a holdover from 10 years ago. Yes, I know they're not right for interviewing (unless I was going for a creative job, which I'm not. Corp. b2b sales for a fortune 10 company). Anyway, my budget dictated the frugality of my purchases. I can't afford the Brooks Brothers suits anymore, so this is what I found on sale, in my size, and in time for Wed. About me: 5'9, 240lbs, stocky build with a large-ish rear-end, a stomach, and smaller-then-average shoulders. Short arms. Dark brown hair with some gray salted in there, and a gray 'skunk patch' in front. Med. complexion, but I'm a bit pasty right now. Brown eyes. I was thinking the following: Black suit White shirt Trump tie Black belt Black shoes Pretty basic, I know, but I want to know if I'm dating myself with it. I don't think the charcoal suit is the right choice for the 1st interview, and if it is, I don't know what shirt/tie color combo to wear with it. Thoughts? Thanks, Fred

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Most people won't have decent suits in their closet. Besides, not to be mean, but they'll probably notice your size long before your choice of neckwear. Stick with the pleated; I'm not sure flat front works on larger guys.

Good luck in your interview!

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joseph & Feiss charcoal 2-button suit (flat-front pants) - 4 reg. jacket, 46w pants.

Gets my vote.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aforlano
I don't think the charcoal suit is the right choice for the 1st interview, and if it is, I don't know what shirt/tie color combo to wear with it.

Fred

Oooh boy,you need to delete that right now.
laugh.gif

aforlano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
pics please
I will have to take some pics tonite when I get home and post them.
Originally Posted by forex
Oooh boy,you need to delete that right now.
laugh.gif

Why? Like I said, I haven't worn a Charcoal suit in a long time and I don't know the combo to wear, I don't know what colors are in fashion any more. I would think a light pink or powder blue shirt would work, but I don't know if that's fashionable any more. Like I said, it's been 10 years since I've worn a suit. Back in the 90's, colored shirts were bolder, and ties were more abstract. I am looking for input, that's all. Are the shoes ok? Are square-toe shoes out? Thanks, Fred

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your black+white shirt+black shoes should be fine. Presuming they fit, are clean and presentable (shoes polished) etc - you'll be fine.

You can't get anything that'll fit off the rack in 1 day. Just not going to happen unless you have a tailor who's standing right there at the store to make the alterations.

aforlano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
your black+white shirt+black shoes should be fine. Presuming they fit, are clean and presentable (shoes polished) etc - you'll be fine.

You can't get anything that'll fit off the rack in 1 day. Just not going to happen unless you have a tailor who's standing right there at the store to make the alterations.

Suit is brand-new.

Shirt is brand-new.

Tie is brand-new.

Belt is basically brand new (I think I wore it once last year).

Shoes are about 3 years old, and have been out about 5 times. They will have a nice polish on them tonite.

As for the tailor, fortunately, my mother knows an excellent tailor who said he could take care of my alterations today. I dropped the suits off around lunchtime, and they will be ready tomorrow.

Fred

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Charcoal is THE CLASSIC suit. If you own one suit in this whole wide world, it should be charcoal... though some might argue navy. But that's besides the point. Charcoal is not out of style. It is never out of style. Charcoal is the all-time #1 business suit. It was in 1930, it was in 1970, and it is today.

Conveniently, it goes with everything, including the exact outfit you described. White shirt, red tie, black shoes/belt, all perfect. You could wear a light blue shirt instead but white is fine.

Good luck.

MHH89

Reaction score
Charcoal suit would be fine to wear in the interview. Rock the trump tie and shine your shoes up. Most important, don't forget to bring copies of your CV.

Good luck.

aforlano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Charcoal is THE CLASSIC suit. If you own one suit in this whole wide world, it should be charcoal... though some might argue navy. But that's besides the point. Charcoal is not out of style. It is never out of style. Charcoal is the all-time #1 business suit. It was in 1930, it was in 1970, and it is today. Conveniently, it goes with everything, including the exact outfit you described. White shirt, red tie, black shoes/belt, all perfect. You could wear a light blue shirt instead but white is fine. Good luck.
Thanks for the good luck wish. Now I always thought that black was the 'power suit' that should be worn for the 'IMPORTANT' meetings, etc., and Charcoal was your 'everyday' suit. Navy was always thought to be a more 'modern' look, and best left to blazers (with gray or khaki slacks). This is what I was taught. Doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination. That explains why I'm here in the first place. Thanks again for the feedback. Fred

aforlano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
Charcoal suit would be fine to wear in the interview. Rock the trump tie and shine your shoes up. Most important, don't forget to bring copies of your CV.

Good luck.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

CV?

Is that something like resume, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Fred

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CV = curriculum vitae. It's basically just your resume.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aforlano
Now I always thought that black was the 'power suit' that should be worn for the 'IMPORTANT' meetings, etc., and Charcoal was your 'everyday' suit. Navy was always thought to be a more 'modern' look, and best left to blazers (with gray or khaki slacks). This is what I was taught. Doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination. That explains why I'm here in the first place.

There are many, many threads in which the black suit is discussed. But, to summarize, as Douglas points out, charcoal is a much better option.

Originally Posted by Douglas
Charcoal is THE CLASSIC suit. If you own one suit in this whole wide world, it should be charcoal... though some might argue navy. But that's besides the point. Charcoal is not out of style. It is never out of style. Charcoal is the all-time #1 business suit. It was in 1930, it was in 1970, and it is today.

Conveniently, it goes with everything, including the exact outfit you described. White shirt, red tie, black shoes/belt, all perfect. You could wear a light blue shirt instead but white is fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads