• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying glasses frames online - how difficult is it for an optician to cut the lenses?

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No more difficult than if you had bought them from his shop. They will be from the same or similar sources and the 'blank' lens will be of adequate size to be cut down.

vilinx

Reaction score
Can most opticians fit most brands? Is there some central catalog they're going through?

Vil

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I received frames in the mail last week and had my local shop put lenses in them the same day. It wasn't a problem at all. I've done this two or three times without any problems whatsoever.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've done this with several vintage frames and my optician always warns me that he is not liable in case the frame breaks or cracks when replacing or installing lenses. Of course, if I buy new frames from him it doesn't apply. I've never had a problem though.

MLIW

Reaction score
http://www.glassesdirect.com have a good service, someone who I work with ordered through them and had no problems, I still feel though if your gonna have glasses nothing beats sitting there with someone choosing rather then being allowed to choose yourself!

miamimc

Reaction score
The challenge is buying frames that can fit your prescription. I have high astigmatism in one of my eyes, so I need frames that are somewhat straight and not very curved. Other than that, any decent optic should be able to cut the lenses to fit in the frame.

danek718

Reaction score
An optician will be able to fit lenses into any frame as long as it isnt in horrible condition. An optician uses one of two machines to put lenses into a frame. One is a pattern edger, where he will need to make a pattern himself from either the demo lenses found in the frame or your old lenses. The much more popular machine is called a patternless edger, where the machine will trace the shape of the lenses. Any mid to high end optician should have a patternless edger or at least know somebody that does. All this applies to a full frame only. If you have a semi rimless or rimless frame then demo lenses or old lenses are a must because unless the optician just happens to have the shape for that frame it will not be possible to replicate.

If anyone ever needs any techinical info on glasses, I will be happy to answer questions. I guess I should also mention that I've worked in an optical store for 4 years and am on my way to becoming an optometrist.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Any advice on how to buy frames online that you like but not sure how it fits your face?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
Any advice on how to buy frames online that you like but not sure how it fits your face?
framesdirect.com has a feature on it's website to help you see what you'd look like. I've never used it, but I've seen a link on the website.

I was already familiar with the frames that I ordered from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads