• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light/medium gray as a suit color

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78
Really? I would never have thought that to be the case.

And you would be correct.

Light gray is a great color. I have a light gray fresco suit, and a piece of linen I will make next year. Also a worsted flannel that will get made ... some day.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Peeing in the sink brings back memories of drunken college evenings college even faster than debating postmodernism in a Thom Browne thread.

Wait...all you did in the sink was pee?

Was it Bible college?

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Which finger? Actually, this whole critical issue of urine and tailored clothing has had some degree of scholarly treatment on StyleForum. There is literally a gold mine into which one might dive right here on The Forvm. Some abstracts: p**s stained crotch? Thank Ebay... "Some yellow clouds of leftover from some incontinent old man." Yellow (?urine/groin sweat) stains on trousers??? . "Like i said i think alot of it comes from old men and prostate problems not being able to get the last shake in." Filene's Basement's urine stain pants. "The pants has a white lining right between the crotch and that **** was dark yellow." Careful study will be rewarded. The true gentleman will, of course, sit to wee wee. This is what Grant and Agnelli did, for example. It is absolutely a fact that you should pick clothing based on the high likelihood that you will soil it with urine or excrement. Frankly, it is a little known story from the world of editing that Flusser had a whole chapter devoted to this in his first book, a chapter called, "Man and the Crap." "Crap" was changed to "drape" as the book went from galley to press, and the rest is history. Gentlemen: please...stick to brown and yellow suits. Should you stray from intestinal colors, I warn you: you risk exposure. - B
Actually a true gentleman can do his business with his pants and braces securely in place. Which explains their predilection for fresco cloth because they actsas a sort of "coffee filter" .
49lpmxx.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
That's why there arent a lot of light grey suits around which in turn makes people think they might be "special" wearing it. I could see a spikey haired, Guci boy wearing one.

Originally Posted by Felix Krull
That said, they certainly do not have the clout of a steely navy or charcoal in the boardroom or before a jury. But if worn correctly they can become a needed staple of your wardrobe.

Are you guys characterizing the suit I posted below in the category of 'light gray'? I think I picked out a shade of gray at the tailor that is clearly beyond the 'charchoal' category but I don't think it's the near-white light gray you guys are describing.

I always think of a medium gray suit as like that of an IRS or boring government man... I really hope I don't end up looking like a Gucci boy wearing one. I know it all depends on the cut of the suit, but I'm really afraid, because I'm young-looking, that I'll end of looking like a high-school band member or sports-banquet dude if I get a dark colored suit. I'm going to be a lawyer in a really small town, where none of the other lawyers I bet will even be wearing tailored suits, if even matching jackets and pants. I'm getting this thing tailored in Tokyo, and the tailor seems to be quite knowledgable about what consitutes 'British-style', something I dont think I'd find for this cheap price (around $400) in the US. Anyway, I haven't bought it yet so someone stop me if I'm making a disastrous choice here.
smile.gif

490044845M_me3_fr.png

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Are you guys characterizing the suit I posted below in the category of 'light gray'? I think I picked out a shade of gray at the tailor that is clearly beyond the 'charchoal' category but I don't think it's the near-white light gray you guys are describing. I always think of a medium gray suit as like that of an IRS or boring government man... I really hope I don't end up looking like a Gucci boy wearing one. I know it all depends on the cut of the suit, but I'm really afraid, because I'm young-looking, that I'll end of looking like a high-school band member or sports-banquet dude if I get a dark colored suit. I'm going to be a lawyer in a really small town, where none of the other lawyers I bet will even be wearing tailored suits, if even matching jackets and pants. I'm getting this thing tailored in Tokyo, and the tailor seems to be quite knowledgable about what consitutes 'British-style', something I dont think I'd find for this cheap price (around $400) in the US. Anyway, I haven't bought it yet so someone stop me if I'm making a disastrous choice here.
smile.gif
490044845M_me3_fr.png

We rarely discuss qualities or cuts. Sure, just about any suit can be dulled down to the point that they suck. I once saw someone in a double breasted chalk stripe suit with such an awful tie and shoes I wondered if he hadnt been made to put the suit on at gun point. I cant see if there is a pattern in this suit but I would say it's light grey. Light grey suits are similar to black suits in that you need to consider the quality of cloth, the cut etc. more than with dark grey and navy suits which come with a conformist anonimity. Although at this point, the black suit at least has both shock value and anonymity while the light grey suit has mostly shock value. But, it's a matter of context. If youre in an area where they are common, no problem. If it's the dead of summer, no problem. If you run a record label, no problem But if youre the head of AIG asking for bailout money, then maybe problem. Although, even the AIG-Bailout scenario is interesting because if the CEO shows up in a beautiful light grey suit with nice accesories he might look like he's giving congress the finger, whereas if he shows up in a cheaper one with blah accesories he might look more humble and powerless. This is the problem with light grey suits, they have no universal context so you must consider them on a case by case basis. Which is why if you dont know what the devil youre doing, get a charcoal suit.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
In the USA, the medium grey suit is a very well-to-do sort of suit. The rest of the world doesn't like lighter suits as much except to make statements with or socially. Here medium grey flannels, sharkskins, birdseyes and stripes have the American old money look. I think one of the reasons Bertie in "Jeeves and Wooster" wore medium grey suits was to show he was a wastrel and a dilletante.

Light grey suits which have some texture or pattern in them such as a PoW, sharkskin are alright for the duldrums of a humid summer but they get dirty easily. I even have a length of light grey flannel from Smiths if I ever get around to making it up.

Problem with light grey suits for work is you have to start worrying too much about appearance which may come off as a feminine trait. Industry people Ive spoken with also point out that light grey suits are prone to discoloration over time from urine stains. So if you have a lot of suits or it's purely for casual, I like it a lot more than for your workaday.

What kind of industry are they working in? I always knew what went on behind the closed doors of corporate america wasn't very nice but I'm shocked to learn it requires resistance to urine stains discoloration..

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
What kind of industry are they working in? I always knew what went on behind the closed doors of corporate america wasn't very nice but I'm shocked to learn it requires resistance to urine stains discoloration..

Artificial bladders are the new year end bonus.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Artificial bladders are the new year end bonus.

I'm interviewing to become a high level strategic advisor in iterative market development, I was told that getting peed on was part of the interviewing process, do you have any outfit suggestion that will allow me to look professional while I'm getting soaked? I wouldn't want to look like I'm just out of college and not used to how the "real world"tm works.

If I end up getting the job and have employees of my own, should I start eating asparagus or is it only for high performers? I wouldn't want my boss to think I'm trying to outpee him.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
What kind of industry are they working in? I always knew what went on behind the closed doors of corporate america wasn't very nice but I'm shocked to learn it requires resistance to urine stains discoloration.. .
Oh, I thought it was clear that they sold mens clothes. My bad...
pinkglassesf.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads