• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

aaguirre

Reaction score
For real though, why in world would anyone go to a crappy place like Philip.

Go to Manlapat.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
...I had around 4 suits made with Philip over the years, another well-known tailoring shop in Manila operating since the 70s.
Originally Posted by T4phage
Do you mean King Philip? I spoke to the head cutter there a few months back, he said that hand basted canvas was an option..
AFAIK Philip is different from King Philip. Both have shops along Pasay Road.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaguirre
For real though, why in world would anyone go to a crappy place like Philip.

Go to Manlapat.

Where exactly is Philip?

I'm not personally very keen on Manlapat. I've been there and the fit seems average, the suits look fused and completely dead looking in the display, and there is no selection of fabric to speak of beyond a dozen polywools. I have a younger relative who knows nothing about suits, walked in there, and walked out in disgust less than five minutes later.

People seemed nice though.

aaguirre

Reaction score
Philip is the one across Marks & Spencers in Greenbelt 3. That place is another good one. The Philip I mentioned before is K. Philip, sorry for the confusion.

The Manlapat suits I have are NOT fused, they're canvased. The fit is up to you or whichever tailor you have catered to you. Mr. Rodriguez or one of the 'younger' ones. Of course you can tell them what fit you want. Re: the fabric...The suits I have from Manlapat are Super 190's.

And no offense to your younger relative...If he knows nothing about suits, why would you take his word for it?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw these from a tailor's website, that establishment has been around for some time:
004.jpg
008.jpg
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I saw these from a tailor's website, that establishment has been around for some time:

004.jpg

008.jpg

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

OH my!! Is that from a Manila tailor? Traditionally, Filipinos do not wear suits as the climate does not make it ideal. Even in Singapore, business attire does not require suits. Thanks for sharing the photos.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaguirre
The Manlapat suits I have are NOT fused, they're canvased. The fit is up to you or whichever tailor you have catered to you. Mr. Rodriguez or one of the 'younger' ones. Of course you can tell them what fit you want. Re: the fabric...The suits I have from Manlapat are Super 190's.

And no offense to your younger relative...If he knows nothing about suits, why would you take his word for it?

Are we talking about the same Manlapat here? It's not a common name.

I don't take my relative's word for it. I take his reaction as another validation of my opinion. I've been there myself, and I know people who had suits made from them and have seen them countless times wearing the suits and looking like they picked up something from Marshalls below $100 rack.

I'm not quite sure I'm ready to believe there are hand canvassed Super 190's suits from the Philippines. Finding actual pure wool was near impossible enough.

neyus

Reaction score
Jose,

Have you seen the work at Onesimus? When I went to Phils a couple of years ago I saw this store which mainly sold Barong Tagalog. The suits looked like MTM and guess what? they were made of wool? They looked pretty good - albeit probably not stitched canvas construction.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Are we talking about the same Manlapat here? It's not a common name.

I don't take my relative's word for it. I take his reaction as another validation of my opinion. I've been there myself, and I know people who had suits made from them and have seen them countless times wearing the suits and looking like they picked up something from Marshalls below $100 rack.

I'm not quite sure I'm ready to believe there are hand canvassed Super 190's suits from the Philippines. Finding actual pure wool was near impossible enough.

+1 on that. The suits they have on display are hideous. Like looking at a late 70s to early 80s mail order catalog.

+1,000,000,000 on looking for good wool fabric.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Have you seen the work at Onesimus? When I went to Phils a couple of years ago I saw this store which mainly sold Barong Tagalog. The suits looked like MTM and guess what? they were made of wool? They looked pretty good - albeit probably not stitched canvas construction.
They're fused, but fit well and have a relatively good selection of fabric (meaning mediocre to slightly below average by NYC standards). For below $200, probably not bad value if you have no absolute threshold for your suit quality, and you can probably have two or three fittings if you want.

Regarding 190s, let me clarify. I did not of course say that you could not find a bolt of wool LABELED as Super 190's or higher in Manila, especially if it's Chinese cashmere we're talking about.

Just have your lighter ready for maximum value.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
Do you mean King Philip? I spoke to the head cutter there a few months back, he said that hand basted canvas was an option.. And one thing: I espied a wonderful vintage heavyweight cotton cavelry twill when I was there.. really really nice
Btw, not to resurrect, but I forgot about this comment.

Has anyone had this conversation with a cutter at one of the handful of Manila tailors at the highest end? I ask because I recall having this, except that when I asked for further clarification, what the cutter meant was that they could fuse the suit then stitch it, to be absolutely sure it would last.

Good twill I would believe, as people like wearing khakis. Anyone know where to get any in the Philippines, and how would you gauge the quality?

neyus

Reaction score
Hey Kababayan,

Going to Manila in a couple of weeks and wanted to check out a tailor as I want to get my jacket altered there? Do you have any recommendations?

Someone mentioned Manlapat? Who is he? Where is he?

Also I heard the name King Phillip and Cornell Tailors being mentioned? Which would be the best out of all three. Super 190s sound pretty exciting but I doubt it would be wool. Sounds like another name for Polyester Microfibre. Am I right?

emptym

Reaction score
I haven't tried the others, but I did endorse Cornell. Good guy, and the things he made me fit me well -- at least he did exactly what I asked him to. So he'd probably be great for alterations. I hope so! Make sure you try on the things when picking them up, wherever you go.

Wool or not, I wouldn't want anything in super 190s.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Hey Kababayan,

Going to Manila in a couple of weeks and wanted to check out a tailor as I want to get my jacket altered there? Do you have any recommendations?

Someone mentioned Manlapat? Who is he? Where is he?

Also I heard the name King Phillip and Cornell Tailors being mentioned? Which would be the best out of all three. Super 190s sound pretty exciting but I doubt it would be wool. Sounds like another name for Polyester Microfibre. Am I right?

For alterations I am happy with the tailor inside the Shangri-La Plaza Hotel.

danz24

Reaction score
Around how much are MTM suits there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads