• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a different kind of Brooks Brothers Clearance

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now there is a warehouse sale going on at 346 Madison.

022709witem0227madison0.gif

However, after that sale, when Manhattanites finally pick over sale items for the last time, the goods will take one more trip before being disposed of.

maptogarlandij5.jpg

575 miles south of 346 Madison is 15 East Front Street, Garland, NC.

dscn0528wg9.jpg

In the red-brick storefront, note the gentlemen mannequins wearing plus 4s.

So, while everyone in Manhattan was crowded into 346 yesterday, I set off to 15 East Front Street. The first thing I did was buy a Sun Drop, a regional soft drink that's hard to find outside the Carolinas.

2z8dc1w.jpg

Eventually after a long drive down some two-lane highways, through the middle of eastern North Carolina, you reach Garland. Garland is a small town of about 1 sq mile, with 800 people, and it's as flat as a card table. There is no stoplight in town, but there is one intersection where the traffic on Hwy 701 was a flashing caution light, and crossing traffic has a flashing stop light. The per capita income is $13,500 and a quarter of the residents live below the poverty level. There was a Dollar General store but it went out of business last year. OTOH, there is a new Piggly Wiggly, which you can see on the edge of the picture of the Brooks store I took yesterday. At the end of the street you're looking down is the Garland Shirt Company.

huizux.jpg

Here's a barbershop also on East Front Street, the only other business I saw in town with any lights on. It's in the same block of buildings as the Brooks Clearance Center.

e5h56t.jpg

3348ah4.jpg

Here's a picture of the suit room. Most of those jackets are orphaned suitcoats, although there is a good smattering of cord and madras odd jackets. In fact, there were probably less than 10 suits.

In the middle you'll see a long line of trouser racks, mostly pastel, paisley, white, orange cords, etc. Outerwear at the end, and some of it is pretty nice if you like Brook's casual outerwear, fake-Barbours, quilted coats, Barracuda-style jackets, etc. Then you have women's clothes on the right of the screen.

You enter the building under the Brooks Bros script, and find a room of almost nothing but shirts in two long rows down the middle, with ties lining one wall. Most are geometrics or prints that didn't sell well. There were a few ancient madder ties, some seersucker, a box of knits, and (surprisingly) some traditional rep ties that were wearable and didn't look like crap. Also there were a few decent printed ties (usually they are all crappy).

If you've ever bought on ebay from armyhardhat, most likely the goods came from here.

2py7ypk.jpg

Garland Shirt Company is the largest employer in town of about 800 people. This happens to be where most, if not all, the USA-made Brooks Brothers shirts come from. I did find some pretty large turkey and chicken farms outside of town though. In case you're wondering where your MTM Brooks shirt comes from, it's here:

dscn0534eu0.jpg

You can see this building from the Brooks store if you know where to look. They are about 400 yards apart probably.

Of course, I didn't drive to bumfizzle eastern NC just to take photos for styleforum
wink.gif
Aside from 5 ribbon watchbands for $5, some embroidered cords, and a few shirts, I picked up a new pair of formal captoes. The store almost never has men's shoes. There are usually Brooks women's shoes, one time they had a nice pair of Italian wingtips, another trip they had some formal pumps, and this time they had about 6 pairs of these formal captoes, which were made in Spain and feel sort of like ballroom dance shoes. They also had one pair of white bucks.

2cyjp0j.jpg

28s29mx.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow,that's a good review,thanks crazyquick.That store looks awful though,I wonder why Brooks sends its stuff there,why couldn't they have a store in a bigger city?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they used to have one near Kansas City.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet Black Fleece OCBDs come from Garland as well,I just noticed that the factory is located there,that's probably why they have their clearance store there.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I bet Black Fleece OCBDs come from Garland as well,I just noticed that the factory is located there,that's probably why they have their clearance store there.

devil.gif
Certain OCBDs with locker loops, with the tags mysteriously cut out, coming to a B&S near you soon
devil.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a good review,thanks!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great post. Thanks, quick.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
devil.gif
Certain OCBDs with locker loops, with the tags mysteriously cut out, coming to a B&S near you soon
devil.gif

You got sizes?What you have?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex

I thought Gitman Bros. made the Black Fleece shirts.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Great Post. Will you be offering a photo journal of the Made in China clothes next?
biggrin.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome!

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well ****, I know where I'm going next time I'm near Wilmington..... thanks
smile.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's about 50-60 miles from Wilmington.

If you go in the summer, watch out. The building is basically un-air conditioned, but they do have some ceiling fans. Plus, a lot of the merchandise is counter-seasonal. So in the summer you'll be trying on flannel-lined khakis, thick cords, and wool sweaters while it's 80 degrees inside
redface.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is actually a pretty depressing thread.... unwanted clothes, being sent somewhere quiet, dilapidated and out-of-sight to slowly die.

At least you rescued some from their premature demise!
smile.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
This is actually a pretty depressing thread.... unwanted clothes, being sent somewhere quiet, dilapidated and out-of-sight to slowly die.

At least you rescued some from their premature demise!
smile.gif

If we could only figure out where Brooks sends it's Peal shoes when they can't be sold
satisfied.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads