• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
So what's the general concensus about the 501 STF sizing? I'm looking for a size 32x31 when all shrinking and stretching is done. I'm thinking I should go with 33x34? Can anyone confirm that this would be a good size to get? Also, which is the best NYC Levis store? I stopped by the Times Square store the other day to see if they had the verde cast STFs, but they didn't. Maybe the Union Square store will have a bigger selection? Looks like there's a midtown east store and a downtown store. Which store has the biggest selection?
if you are size 32 get size 32 STF they stretch back alot after the soak, i have about an 1 extra in my waist because i did not take into the stretching, not really a bad though because the jeans look great slouched.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Here is the new fit one my ( worn for roughly 1 1/2 months)

imag0309ct7.jpg

imag0308vw8.jpg

Trenditional

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
With these cheap 501's, buy true to size waist, size up 2-3" for the inseam. The waist shrinks after soak but stretches back to its true waist after wear. In your case, I would buy 32x34.

What's the consensus regarding soaking, does a cold or hot soak make a difference? I've always gone for an initial hot soak. And does all the shrinking occur, thats going to occur in the first soak?

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trenditional
What's the consensus regarding soaking, does a cold or hot soak make a difference? I've always gone for an initial hot soak. And does all the shrinking occur, thats going to occur in the first soak?

hot soak shrinks the jeans much more than cold water, infact some people use boiling water to get maximum shrinkage. Its almost impossible to get total shrinkage in the first wash.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you blast it in a hot machine wash and then tumble try on high heat. That pretty much takes care of everything right away.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
The khaki looks good. Where's the love for black 501 STF's?
I got love for the black. Here's a pic of mine from the waywt thread.
waywt15986.jpg
It's sort of hard to tell from this angle, but the fit of these things is really nice.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ those are discontinued in the STF. But you can still find them in the prewashed, it's called "desert khaki."

2sweet

Reaction score
Awesome, man. Those black STF's truly ARE black.

PS: Do you all favor stacking with STF's? All of my straight fits have some stacking, but I'm starting to favor a bit more of a "grown-up" tailored fit. It's more practical too, as I don't want my jeans dragging around in the mud and rain, or getting the hems all bedraggled.

Originally Posted by lance konami
I got love for the black.

Here's a pic of mine from the waywt thread.

waywt15986.jpg

It's sort of hard to tell from this angle, but the fit of these things is really nice.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
Awesome, man. Those black STF's truly ARE black.
Actually, I lied. Those are black prewashed 501's, not the STF.
devil.gif
I didn't really like the color of the black STF's as much, I wanted more of a flat black. The black STF's are pretty grainy.

2sweet

Reaction score
I know what you mean about getting black blacks. Levi's does a terrific job with overdyed...much better than Wrangler's.

Makes me want to go look for a pair of preshrunk blacks...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads