• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket squares?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just noticed recently lots of men wearing pocket squares that do not match their ties. They are usualy some color or pattern that dose not go with what their wearing weither it is with thier tie or jacket or even shirt. My question is weither or not it matters these days to match them or are we just aloud to put any old combination and it's ok? I think it really looks bad to do this unless your wearing sunglasses and walking with a stick. What are your opinions?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I have just noticed recently lots of men wearing pocket squares that do not match their ties. They are usualy some color or pattern that dose not go with what their wearing weither it is with thier tie or jacket or even shirt. My question is weither or not it matters these days to match them or are we just aloud to put any old combination and it's ok? I think it really looks bad to do this unless your wearing sunglasses and walking with a stick. What are your opinions?

matching squares to ties is like grranimals for adults.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
matching squares to ties is like grranimals for adults.

+1

all of mt ties are dark blue or dark gray. I have squares that are pink, yellow, blue and light gray. I grab one from column A and one from column B and that it the extent of my matching.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocket Squares shouldn't match. They may complement through contrast or picking up a minor colour but never match.

Reaction score
+1

I like for my pocket square to complement something else in my outfit (shirt/tie) but not to match.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They shouldn't ever match perfectly. I suppose they can be somewhat similar, but I like for mine to be quite different.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the OP really meant "harmonize," not "match" as in a tie-and-square set.

If I don't have a square that harmonizes well, I go to white linen. Such will be the only occasion when I wear a white linen square. I find them bo-ring!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching a secondary color in a pocket square to a secondary or primary color in a shirt or tie (or both) can be alright. Usually it's when the background colors match. Also, trying to get things close in color but not quite looks contrived. I've noticed reds especially distract a viewers eye if they're too different. Depends on the look youre going for. Sometimes being to clever and sophisticated is every bit as frustrating as the matching tie and hankie thing people get caught up with around these parts. I'm watching reruns of Boston Legal and the way they dress Denny Crane is interesting. One time I watched one with friends and Denny had an orange satin tie with an orange satin pocket square (both solids). I thought it was too much but it had a certain effectiveness and everyon I was watching it with liked it and associated the look with money, power and cohones. Some of the matching tie and hankie sets I see from the Italians seem well conceived. I wouldnt wear them but I would hesitate to say the wearers werent sophisticated.
acigar.gif

contaygious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I have just noticed recently lots of men wearing pocket squares that do not match their ties.

Because they are doing it right.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its a great way to bring another color into your outfit. It should work together though...

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I just wear any tie with any shirt with any square. Some people think its sprezzatura.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of us buy pocket squares without seeing them in the pocket, myself included, because they are a beautiful color print artistically recreating the "Battle of Jutland" or "The Creation of Adam" on them but they dont look good in the actual welt pocket. Often, simple pocket squares are best or at least ones tried in the jacket pocket first. I have a bag full I need to give to good will.
1304.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads