• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to add pullups to my routine at home. The only location I have for the bar is hanging from the rafters in my garage. Should I use chains to suspend the bar or 2x4's?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever is most secure. I think depending on the setup, chains could be an interesting choice.

And a question of my own: what's the consensus on glutamine here? I've been taking it for a while but I recently read a few articles (google david barr glutamine) that don't treat it very kindly. What do you guys think?

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sirsungy
might be a dumb question, but if you never worked out before, how do you know which weight you should start from for all the different exercises?

When I was following the Bill Starr 5x5 program, I just used trial and error to figure out my maxes and the weights I should be using for each exercise.

efujobu

Reaction score
agreed. If you can do the subscribed # of reps for the exercise easily then you need to move up your weight. Finishing the last few reps should always be somewhat of a struggle (keeping good form).

Like PolePosition said, its mostly trial and error.

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaiimac
Thanks guys! It is much easier to do them all in one day and memorize a limited number of exercises. Looking at the routines with splits was a bit overwhelming to a beginner. So I do this workout every other day, and then can I do cardio the days in between?
yeah, cardio is fine on off days. start with 2 circuits, soreness should subside in a few weeks, and then feel free to bump it up to 3. There are a lot of great beginner programs out there that are far more structured though if you prefer something like that.
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I want to add pullups to my routine at home. The only location I have for the bar is hanging from the rafters in my garage. Should I use chains to suspend the bar or 2x4's?
what about rings? I've always been dying to try them but haven't had a spot for them. Seems like they'd be perfect if you're going to hang something anyway.
Originally Posted by robertorex
Whatever is most secure. I think depending on the setup, chains could be an interesting choice. And a question of my own: what's the consensus on glutamine here? I've been taking it for a while but I recently read a few articles (google david barr glutamine) that don't treat it very kindly. What do you guys think?
I like glutamine. Not necessarily to build muscle, but I notice a difference in how long I'm sore. Also, the immune function is touted a lot. Antecdotal of course but I rarely find myself getting sick. Bottom line: I like it. try it for a few weeks and make your own deciison though. if you can't tell a difference after about 2 weeks? then put your money elsewhere.
Originally Posted by sirsungy
might be a dumb question, but if you never worked out before, how do you know which weight you should start from for all the different exercises?
Like others have said, trial & error. Probably less weight than you'd like, but check your ego and make sure your form is proper. Strength will come quickly though - it's a great part about newbie gains.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Rings are great. Hang it from a tree, soccer goal, bball backboard, or whatever else. Use them all the time.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Noir. I've actually been using it for a week and I definitely noticed a difference in terms of soreness reduction, but I'm not sure whether I could attribute that to my increased periworkout protein intake or to glutamine. I guess I'll wait and see how it goes.

Noir.

Reaction score
I'd guess it's both. Most post workout drinks do supplement some glutamine - I tend to recommend much higher doses though (between 10-20g/day is typical: I put a scoop in each shake ~ scoops are 5g each), but it's an amino acid so of course it's in the majority of your standard protein powders as well.

Of course you can do some testing, I'm always interested in hearing what works for different people. If you're fresh off a break or just starting out though, soreness will taper off simply because you're getting used to working out.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done heavy lifting for a good two years. I no longer have the energy or the time to do it anymore. My new goal is to loose some mass, mostly in my chest and hamstrings. I guess I'm just going to eat less, up my reps from 5-6 to 6-8, still only do compound lifts but only 3 days a week, and do more cadio? Should be easy?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any clue what glutamine even is?
baldy[1].gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I could hang rings. I hadn't thought of that. If people don't think there is any advantage to a static bar as far as basic strength training goes, rings sound fun. I guess I'll try to find a triangular type ring to mimic a 'bar'.

PolePosition

Reaction score
+1 on getting rings. I wish my gym had them. You can do so much stuff on them and rings is one of the ways those male gymnasts have such amazing strength. I doubt anyone on here has the strength to do an iron cross, levers, or planche.

Something easy you can start off doing on them is a muscle up (I think there are other names for this) which is doing a chinup and then immediately pushing yourself straight up (like pushing up from a dip).

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be able to do front and back levers and I think I could again if I trained them a little. My friend who I trained with could do a planche. Iron Cross is a whole other level though. Muscle Ups are fun. Also, don't get triangular rings. Get them from www.ringtraining.com.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
I used to be able to do front and back levers and I think I could again if I trained them a little. My friend who I trained with could do a planche. Iron Cross is a whole other level though. Muscle Ups are fun.

Also, don't get triangular rings. Get them from www.ringtraining.com.

Interesting. I found the iron cross to be easier than a true form lever. Although that may be because I'm long limbed.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The levers are an A skill, while the iron crosses are a B skill. Thats really surprising, I'm not close at all to an Iron Cross.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads