• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light/medium gray as a suit color

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never heard this before, the lighter the suit the less of a year round use your going to get out of it but as far as the color having anything to do with senority is bogus. I don't know who or where you got this information from but they obviously haven't a clue what their talking about.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I Industry people Ive spoken with also point out that light grey suits are prone to discoloration over time from urine stains.

wait, what?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, I know... wick-ed pissah.

the real reason Navy and Charcoal are favored colors.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
the real reason Navy and Charcoal are favored colors.
Maybe, but they pick up different types of dirt. The suit is partly designed to allow men to be anonymous, to b powerful. That's why there arent a lot of light grey suits around which in turn makes people think they might be "special" wearing it. I could see a spikey haired, Guci boy wearing one. Light grey is not a work suit unless your work involves underscoring how you are not from the typical concept of white collar worker. But for social, wear waht you like, I think you might be pissing your money away.
47b20s0.gif
Medium grey is a good color. Medium blue or blue grey is alright for men who's coloring it underscores but for most it looks too showy. "Look at me, I gotz me a custom made jobber" I think light grey is popular on here because it is near to the white suit, maybe it has become the white suit. Americans associate white clothes with all things expensive, high and pure.

bc78

Reaction score
Maybe, but they pick up different types of dirt. The suit is partly designed to allow men to be anonymous, to b powerful. That's why there arent a lot of light grey suits around which in turn makes people think they might be "special" wearing it. I could see a spikey haired, Guci boy wearing one.

Light grey is not a work suit unless your work involves underscoring how you are not from the typical concept of white collar worker. But for social, wear waht you like, I think you might be pissing your money away.
47b20s0.gif

Medium grey is a good color. Medium blue or blue grey is alright for men who's coloring it underscores but for most it looks too showy. "Look at me, I gotz me a custom made jobber"

I think light grey is popular on here because it is near to the white suit, maybe it has become the white suit. Americans associate white clothes with all things expensive, high and pure.

I don't know about that. I think light grey is a pretty acceptable work suit, especially in the summer. I agree that Medium grey is a safer bet though. I think petrol or blue grey is also pretty safe. Like light grey, I wouldn't wear it to a funeral or an extremely important client meeting, but I think it is totally fine for most work situations.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . . Industry people Ive spoken with also point out that light grey suits are prone to discoloration over time from urine stains. So if you have a lot of suits or it's purely for casual, I like it a lot more than for your workaday.
A lesser man would have been too timid to speak truth to power. I salute you.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
A lesser man would have been too timid to speak truth to power. I salute you.

Which finger?

Actually, this whole critical issue of urine and tailored clothing has had some degree of scholarly treatment on StyleForum. There is literally a gold mine into which one might dive right here on The Forvm.

Some abstracts:

p**s stained crotch? Thank Ebay... "Some yellow clouds of leftover from some incontinent old man."

Yellow (?urine/groin sweat) stains on trousers??? . "Like i said i think alot of it comes from old men and prostate problems not being able to get the last shake in."

Filene's Basement's urine stain pants. "The pants has a white lining right between the crotch and that **** was dark yellow."

Careful study will be rewarded.

The true gentleman will, of course, sit to wee wee. This is what Grant and Agnelli did, for example.

It is absolutely a fact that you should pick clothing based on the high likelihood that you will soil it with urine or excrement. Frankly, it is a little known story from the world of editing that Flusser had a whole chapter devoted to this in his first book, a chapter called, "Man and the Crap." "Crap" was changed to "drape" as the book went from galley to press, and the rest is history.

Gentlemen: please...stick to brown and yellow suits. Should you stray from intestinal colors, I warn you: you risk exposure.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
It is that, or use the sink.

True.

Less splash. More flash.

Plus, the man with the towel and cologne is right there.

- B

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Light grey suits lend themselves to much experimentation with ties, shirts, etc. How serious they are to be taken depends on how you accompany them. It serves perfectly well as a year-round suit as it can be fitted with a charcoal overcoat in the winter, if necessary, while holding its own to keep you cool in the summer.

That said, they certainly do not have the clout of a steely navy or charcoal in the boardroom or before a jury. But if worn correctly they can become a needed staple of your wardrobe.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Peeing in the sink brings back memories of drunken college evenings college even faster than debating postmodernism in a Thom Browne thread.

Did you get shorter with age?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads