• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitting weird body types

austinduggan

Reaction score
So I have really long legs and arms, but a normal torso. "Long" sizes fit in the arms, but are too long in the torso. "Regular" sizes are too short in the arms but fit in the torso. I'm measuring myself for a jacket, but there doesn't seem to be a measurement for anything like torso length, body length, neck to hip, etc. What is the technical term for this measurement, and how do I take it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the technical term for your condition is "bespoke," and the solution is "lots of money."

Seriously, though, there could be off the rack brands that are cut better for you than others, but this will take some time to figure out.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can you afford Thom Browne or Brooks Brothers Black Fleece? His designs cut the body purposefully short.

- B

austinduggan

Reaction score
I'm sizing myself for an Aero. They ask for height, weight, chest, waist and stomach. I fear that as soon as they see my height - 6'1" - they're going to cut my jacket long in the armsas well as the body. That would be bad. So I was hoping to send them a measurement of arms and torso without seeming too amateurish.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We don't take a "torso length" measurement as such The closest would be the waist length which is taken from the 7th cervical vertebra to the level of the waist, which is the hollow part when you bend sideways but that won't give you a jacket length. A better way of measuring for the length of the jacket is half the distance from C7 to the floor. The best way is to try on jackets, find one that fits in the length and measure it.

Edit- I thought you meant a suit jacket. We cross-posted.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by austinduggan
I'm sizing myself for an Aero. They ask for height, weight, chest, waist and stomach. I fear that as soon as they see my height - 6'1" - they're going to cut my jacket long in the armsas well as the body. That would be bad. So I was hoping to send them a measurement of arms and torso without seeming too amateurish.

Try PMing AHarris...he's the Aero friggin' master, and probably give you direct advice.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics