• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the proper response?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I have more than a few times ran into the following scenario:

My wife and I go out and meet some friends. Someone, usually another woman, says something like "oh, you look nice, Ilya. Your wife did a nice job picking it out."

Usually this is said in a serious tone. I usually just go "yup" and LOL for minutes on end.
sarcasm.gif

Honestly, it's kind of bothersome. Is a man unable to pick out his own clothing? I can't say "no, actually I dressed myself, thanks" because that would be rude to both the woman and my wife; it would also be ungentlemanly.

Should I just continue as I have been, or is there a response that is of a level of snark I haven't reached yet?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And if she doesn't, you could just glare at the woman and say that you would never pin the blame for your own indiscretions on your wife.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tell them that it was actually your mistress that picked out your clothing.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
I think it would be appropriate (and flattering) if your wife would speak up and say that you picked out your own clothing and how great she thinks you look.

+1

otherwise, if your wife chooses not to respond, just smile and be gracious and allow your wife to enjoy the accolade.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
My wife and I go out and meet some friends. Someone, usually another woman, says something like "oh, you look nice, Ilya. Your wife did a nice job picking it out."

Just say, "Actually, my mom picked this outfit. My wife only picks my outfit on weekends."

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first response is to echo what Anon said: your wife ought to be the one to speak up. For better or worse, mine does.

However, she might not hear the comment or otherwise be able to reply. So if the reply is up to you, or more accurately, when it's up to me because this happens to me too, I tend to say something like "she does have good taste." So I think so far you've taken the upper road.

On a bad day I'm prone to say "yes, that's right. I'm completely unable to dress myself. Thank you for pointing that out." Or I roll my eyes and sneer. Then they feel awkwardly. That's on a bad day.

b

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dunno--wouldn't the proper response be to not care?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes - maybe also to start a thread on SF about how much he doesn't care, how unique of an indiidual he is for not caring, waiting impatiently for responses from others to be able to reply long multi-paragraph posts laced with sophomore-level philosophy and legal jargon, telling them just how little he really cares about their opinion, considering he is such a unique individual who doesn't care about what anyone thinks of him.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get this all of the time too, and just defer to my wife's response which is usually, "please, it's the other way around. He dresses me!", to which I just smile.

If she isn't within earshot, I say something like, "yeah, I don't know what I'd do without her!". I have found that in those instances where both of you aren't together when the comment is made, they will usually follow up & say the same thing to the other person, then compare the replies.

The other comment is usually that we intended to match which is usually just coincidental, like last night, my orange tie went with her top, and our son also wore an orange tie. We all dressed at different times & places & when we came together it just went.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No way! Imagine if someone said to you and your wife at dinner that she (your wife) did a great job picking your shoes out...

OP: Next time you see her you need to preempt. Tell her that you dressed yourself and would like her opinion.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is one of those situations where you throw up the big "W"

as in, Whatever. Smile politely, nod, and move on.....after all, isn't the REAL goal here to impress your internet friends anyway?
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads