• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to lose some stomach fat

heresiarh

Reaction score
Just recently I started going to the gym in order to lose stomach fat. I'm 6 feet, and 168Lbs(male). I only gain weight around the stomach area.

My routine is to eat normally like I've always done. I don't really eat ***** and fried foods, maybe once in a while. I keep it simple. Probably a very balanced 2000-2200 calorie diet.

At the gym I walk for an hour on the treadmill.

1-10 minutes at 3.7mph
10-20 minutes at 3.9mph
20-40 minutes at 4.0mph
40-60 minutes 4.2mph with variation of 2.0 to 5.0 incline.

Normal 5 minutes stretching. And then 15 minutes of light to medium weights .... I don't want to bulk up, but just lightly toned.

I've been working out for about a month now. Every week I do a new routine.

For e.g sometimes I run + walk. Sometimes I do treadmill, bicycling

And yes, running gives me shin splits so I'm keeping that at minimum until I strengthen my muscles in the shin area.

Do I need to add anything to the routine?

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Shut up. Seriously how does such remarks help him.

they don't, but you have to admit it is kinda funny...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also add weight training to your routine. I don't think its possible to reduce fat in certain areas of your body.

heresiarh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I would also add weight training to your routine. I don't think its possible to reduce fat in certain areas of your body.

are free weights the best way to go or should i use those weight machines??

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
they don't, but you have to admit it is kinda funny...

Please explain to me how its 'kinda funny'. I have a sense of humour as the next guy but really, insulting and mocking someone in need of help is really in bad taste even if lefty's remark is truly hilarious (its not BTW).

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heresiarh

That really shouldnt be your concern. Just do a high rep workout using either. BTW your stats look OK and you dont really have a ton of weight to lose. Just keep up with what you are doing and you should get results you desire.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shut up. Seriously how does such remarks help him.

He walks for an hour...

heresiarh

Reaction score
That really shouldnt be your concern. Just do a high rep workout using either. BTW your stats look OK and you dont really have a ton of weight to lose. Just keep up with what you are doing and you should get results you desire.

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure if I'm doing the right thing or wasting time.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the thread labeled "weight loss muscle gain thread" .

Done.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
He walks for an hour...

So? Walking can't help you lose weight? Hell! Even sex helps you lose weight.
What do you want him to do? Do a GI Joe training with footpack, running up the hill, get sprayed on with a hose, eating swill from the trashcan until he is in intensive care? Come on! As an alleged personal trainer in your 'studio', surely you realise, different people use different ways to attain their goals.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heresiarh

Your WO is more or less what the average woman does in the gym: mild cardio and some light weights. If you have an anemic WO you'll have anemic results. Adding some bullshit energy and resistance work and not changing your diet is pretty much a waste of time.

Now if your goal is to be as small as possible, then start starve yourself and increase the cardio tenfold. You'll soon drop the 10 lbs of fat around your gut. You'll be skinny as ****, but maybe that's what you're after.

However, if you'd like to look "toned" you'd be well served to drop the cardio and find a decent weight program to add 15 lbs of muscle or so. My guess is that you'll drop a few lbs of fat also. I think that may be the look you're after.

lefty

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please explain to me how its 'kinda funny'. I have a sense of humour as the next guy but really, insulting and mocking someone in need of help is really in bad taste even if lefty's remark is truly hilarious (its not BTW).

It was one of the funniest remarks I've ever seen here; easily in the top 10. You da man, Lefty!

Seriously, if the OP is 6 ft. 168 lbs., there is no reason he can't ramp up the intensity. Walking is what seriously overweight people do until they can run (or what "Huge Guys" do so they don't eat up their muscle). Considering his size, I would say the OP is "skinny fat". He's thin with a gut and that's how a lot of people who do long slow cardio work look. Once he can hang, he should consider interval work. In addition, add in a bit more weight training. Don't worry about getting too big or bulking up; it takes a long time to bulk up and you'll see it coming. It's not like you're going to wake up one day and say, "Damn, I'm too big".

If you have a hard time pushing yourself, consider taking a class of some type. Spinning provides a very good workout.

MLIW

Reaction score
maybe start doing some swimming, and some stomach toning exercise to improve definition of your stomach. At the moment you are pretty doing what most people do in a day anyway, I know I walk roughly an hour getting to work and back. But a starts a start. I would definately push yourself a bit harder and really tire yourself out! ,ake sure you rest though and eat healthy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads