• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating Alone

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you eat alone on a routine basis? What about when you are out at a restaurant? How do you feel about it?

I eat most of my meals alone and I go out to eat alone on a regular basis. I'm not sure if I should feel pathetic, creepy, bold and devil-may-care, or what.

What about others?

x26

Reaction score
Depends on the circumstances. If I'm traveling alone I don't mind it, but ussually dine where other travelers eat. Otherwise I guess it would feel fairly creepy.
Best Wishes

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Do a search. This comes up every two months, without fail.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Do you eat alone on a routine basis? What about when you are out at a restaurant? How do you feel about it?

I eat most of my meals alone and I go out to eat alone on a regular basis. I'm not sure if I should feel pathetic, creepy, bold and devil-may-care, or what.

What about others?

i used to eat alone alot during college. i also do that alot at work as well. dont get me wrong, i enjoy the company of others or friends but i am very selective. just any company can make or break my lunch hour and that is a precious hour to me.

i prefer eating alone so i can enjoy savoring the food, eating at my own pace, and reading whatever, or just have a blank stare and thinking about something without feeling bad and worrying to upkeep conversation with someone.

however, at night or dinners, i usually eat with my wife, which is cool. we can either be buddies eating together chit-chatting, or sometimes both of us aloof in our own thoughts with blank stares, but it's cool cuz we close buds.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely eat alone when eating out, but have no problem doing it when necesary. I usually just bring something to read and sit at the bar.

However, I really don't like eating with other people if at the office. I tend to eat at my desk and it drives me crazy when someone interupts my meal with inane conversation when they can see I'm eating.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I'm in Korea now. Local culture looks at lone eaters as being unsocial and unfriendly, so if you eat by your self, people might think you are weird. I eat alone on a regular basis, probably twice per week, and feel completely comfortable because it gives me some personal time. I would normally take away something and bring it to a coffee shop where I will eat it and enter my day-dreamish state.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I eat more often alone than with my colleagues here at work. 30 minutes lunch break alone is more relaxing than 1 hour with my colleagues. The cantina is just not the place where I want to spend my break.

I often go out alone in the evening, sometimes for dinner. I like it and it's fine for me but I'm aware that people perceive it as creepy when someone in his mid-twenties is sitting alone at a steak house or Italian restaurant. I can live with that.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Do a search. This comes up every two months, without fail.

Let's not go that far.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been alone most of my life, I guess I just got comfortable with it. It's strange to me now going out to eat with my gf, because I'm usually lost in thought and not too focused on conversation.

If you're that worried about what people may think, bring a novel.

Originally Posted by The Louche

What about others?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, only for mornings and afternoons though. I haven't gone out to eat alone in a long time though.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you're really hungry, and are outside it's normal. If you are at home however, and just decide to go out, and eat by yourself then it's weird. What's the point? You can do this at home. Do you guys go to a restaurant for the food, and to stare at the bitches their that are not alone? I just don't get it. Too each his own I guess.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't cook at home and hate having to clean dishes/garbage and I'm single. I also don't want to force myself to talk to someone or not be able to choose where I want to eat just because I feel conscious about eating alone. I just don't like going to a restaurant, getting the food, then taking it home to eat. I'd rather just eat it at the restaurant where I get waited on and I can relax. I usually bring something to read and its less chaotic. I have zero qualms about eating by myself.

So I eat 10-12 meals per week by myself.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
32. been doing it for a decade or so when i started working.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads