• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How difficult is it to convert a leather belt into a watch strap?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not diffcult at all if you know how.

Bracemaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
So, I sometimes see old belts that are either too small or too damaged in parts to buy for use as a belt but how difficult would it be it to convert a leather belt into a watch strap? Especially for say a belt in an exotic leather eg ostrich?

If you have very thick wrists, a very narrow waist and a very large watch then it would be fairly easy. Otherwise I agree with the previous poster, if you have the kit and the skill...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Would it be expensive to pay say a leathersmith/shoesmith/belt repair dude to recut it to size for me?

I imagine it would be as much work as making a watch strap completely from scratch, so would probably cost as much....

Bracemaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I imagine it would be as much work as making a watch strap completely from scratch, so would probably cost as much....

Saving - cost of leather front (back would still need lining) say 5 dollars max (probably less).
Extra cost of cutting down belt, skiving leather, gluing & sewing lining in, finding suitable buckle, making layband/keeper etc etc for a one off watch strap - minimum cost an arm and a leg...
I think it would be a tad on the expensive side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads