• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

choptreesv

Reaction score
I really like my low rise straight selvedge as a kick around jean. They wear fast, but I'd buy them again.

2sweet

Reaction score
The last thing I need is another pair of jeans. Especially another pair of baggy Gap jeans. Where did they ever go wrong? It seemed like Gap was mandatory shopping for every affluent college kid in America back in '97 or '98. Now their stores look like ghost towns. I've actually seen tumbleweeds blowing through...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
The last thing I need is another pair of jeans. Especially another pair of baggy Gap jeans. Where did they ever go wrong? It seemed like Gap was mandatory shopping for every affluent college kid in America back in '97 or '98. Now their stores look like ghost towns. I've actually seen tumbleweeds blowing through...

No Kidding about GAP stores looking vacant! Ours is closing in two weeks. I hate it but am excited at the party that they're going to throw on the beach!
I found a few pairs of the dark denim jeans for 26 bucks. I actually bought a pair of 32-32 and returned them before leaving the mall. I think I'll go back as they still had them as of yesterday. I hate saying it, but AE jeans always fit ****** and legs(former bodybuilder) the best as they allow a little more room in without being too baggy, althought I am growing tired of seeing pre-fabricated holes in everything prior to purchase.

onlyonetime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
You are a gap employee and you can't find a pair of pants in a gap store?

thats some fucked up inventory system

Originally Posted by onion
He might work for BR or Old Navy. They all get the same discount.

^yup. i work for BR. so can't punch in a GAP style number and get results. def gonna try calling the 1800 number tho.

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Anybody else find gap raw denim fades crazy fast? I've only been wearing mine to work for a week straight and they're getting honey combs and whiskers like crazy already.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoconutBanana
Anybody else find gap raw denim fades crazy fast? I've only been wearing mine to work for a week straight and they're getting honey combs and whiskers like crazy already.

Hey- which ones did u buy? The new elevated low rise straight fit?

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Hey- which ones did u buy? The new elevated low rise straight fit?

I believe so they're low rise and have the selvage lined coin pocket.

iwhelan

Reaction score
I picked up the Elevated Standards straight fit jeans through the web site, which meant paying full price but I had gift cards. I also had to get a strange size that is usually not carried in stores (30x34). I was hoping that these would be a good buy for the price (free in my case, but $88 didn't seem that bad) but I was not impressed upon arrival. Just for reference, I have a pair of Nudie RRDS and APC New Standards. Those two jeans are very different from each other but the denim seems to have some really great qualities. The denim in the gap jeans just seemed way too lightweight. They didn't even seem like jeans, but maybe more like trousers. The denim was so smooth that it had virtually no character. I was hoping for a fit that was "standard"... something between my APC NS and my RRDS, but maybe I was wrong in thinking I would like the fit. It was just a bit too blah. Maybe the low-rise/slim fit would be better but since I'm already not impressed with the quality of the denim, I think I'll just return these. I know these are meant to be a lot less expensive than APC or Nudie, but if the denim was just a bit heavier (I have owned GAP jeans in the past with more substantial denim), they might have been decent enough to keep. I guess it all depends on what you're used to or what you expect.

-Ian

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some, sized down two.

I had to steam both sides of the legs where they were folded so it didn't develop a vertical fade. As far as being too similar to NS, My NS are 34 long and stack well when I wear boots, the Gap jeans are 32 with a slight break. That's the difference that makes it worth it to me.

I think I'm going to cut the leather label off.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obeserabbit
leg opening on skinny? leg opening on straight?

I just picked up a pair of the new low rise straight in dark indigo at my local gap on sale for $35 this weekend and the leg opening is about 8". I must say, for a pair of Gap jeans at $35, the fit is fantastic. I must've tried on about 6 pairs of Levi's as well, and nothing compared. After converting to high end denim, I never thought I'd see the day (until kids and a family start up) that I'd purchase Gap denim again. I'm glad I did. I'll get fit pics up soon.

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

obeserabbit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I got some, sized down two.

I had to steam both sides of the legs where they were folded so it didn't develop a vertical fade. As far as being too similar to NS, My NS are 34 long and stack well when I wear boots, the Gap jeans are 32 with a slight break. That's the difference that makes it worth it to me.

I think I'm going to cut the leather label off.

could you clarify on how you steam the legs? i think i have the problem of vertical fading

Originally Posted by tonio028
I just picked up a pair of the new low rise straight in dark indigo at my local gap on sale for $35 this weekend and the leg opening is about 8". I must say, for a pair of Gap jeans at $35, the fit is fantastic. I must've tried on about 6 pairs of Levi's as well, and nothing compared. After converting to high end denim, I never thought I'd see the day (until kids and a family start up) that I'd purchase Gap denim again. I'm glad I did. I'll get fit pics up soon.

thx, looking forward to fit pics

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Fit pics added to my post above.

kit99bar

Reaction score
local gap has tons of them on sale for 40. They just felt too soft and thin for me to be interested. I'm also not a fan of the coin pocket's selvage showing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads