• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Damn you Rayban!

Mathew J

Reaction score
Count me as odd one out but I actually like the Ray Ban script on the lens...Maui Jim does the same with their logo as well.

bleedinggumsmurphy

Reaction score
Holy crap, I can't believe how easy that was. It should probably be noted, though, that my lenses are glass (polarized, but that doesn't make a difference here). I assume the hardness of polycarbonate is different (and probably softer), and that it may not be a good idea for those who didn't spring for the glass.

mrsnak

Reaction score
The copper penny works great. Just lightly scraping the logo off with the edge is soft enough to remove the paint without scratching the glass on my polarized glass aviators.

BenJKS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upstarter
Will this harm my polarized lenses in anyway???

No. For polarised lenses, the polarised layer is a sheet wedged between two sheets of glass, like a sandwich.

I bought pair of Ray Ban aviators online last year. I'm slightly myopic, so changed the lenses for prescription ones (plastic, which are also lighter than the glass originals, but more prone to scratching). Of course you can have this done with no prescription, in any colour tint you want.

Love the aviators...

Vivamus

Reaction score
Like many of those who've commented on the hideous Ray Ban logos, I, too, was terribly frustrated with this garish treatment of an otherwise beautifully designed pair of sunglasses. I sprang for a pair of the recently revamped version of the timeless Aviator with the carbon-fiber frame (RB8309), pretty certain I'd find a way around the logo problem.

Thanks to others here who came up with the "copper penny" solution, I beat the buggers at their own game. (Come on, RayBan -- why don't you show some class and follow Revo's or Serengeti's lead on understatement.) That said, I did initially encounter difficulties. First, I 'tested' the penny on the glass face of a bathroom mirror to ensure the glass wouldn't suffer a scratch. Wrong: Apply sufficient pressure on the coin, and it WILL scratch the glass. So...I tried the coin on the sunglasses with MILD pressure. No dice; the coin simply slid over the hardened ink (which I believed is baked on). I then picked up a small bottle of 100% Acetone, dipped a Q-Tip in it, wet the logo thoroughly with the fluid, and then gave the penny another try -- Voila! That unsightly graphic (they couldn't even design it stylishly -- the script is offensive in the extreme) is now gone forever!

Re the two horror shows emblazoned on the temple arms for all the world to know you're wearing 'Bans, well, having examined these under magnification, it's a toughie. It appears these are actual badges (not integrally molded motifs) that are screwed THROUGH the frames; their removal could cause bigger problems than eyesore. Solution: Paint over the silver finish (they couldn't simply leave it an inconspicuous black, noooo) using fine-tipped permanent marker. At least it removes the eye-scorching chrome accents. I can now live with the result. Well, the glasses finally look pretty close to the way they SHOULD look. And to think I was on the verge of returning these purely on account of the absolutely hideous logos. Ray Ban ought to be ashamed of this kind of unconscionably offensive (read CHEAP) bling marketing ploy. If ANY other manufacturer had a pair of similar design and materials, I would've leapt at it in a heartbeat. Alas, no one else does.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
when are aviators going out of style? Ray ban did a pretty smart marketing campaign to bring them back and now they're rolling in cash.

I give 1.5 yrs maximum. I'm not buying.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
aviators are timeless classics like an A2 jacket or khaki chinos. They may have had a spike in popularity in recent years which as you predict will settle down once another style is pushed, but as a classic they will always be stylish. I still wear my Dad's 1950s RAF issue aviators, probably 50 years old and one of my most prized possessions.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just have the eyeglass place put in new lenses you cheap bastards.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Take your Ray Bans to an optician.
Tell the optician you want the Ray Ban logo removed from the lense.
See what the optician says.

Xenos

Reaction score
I use a straight razor blade to remove the "Ray Ban" logo from my sunglasses. Personna blades come five in a box for about three dollars.

I've used this method on countless pairs of Ray Bans for almost 25 years without coming close to damaging the lenses. Just place the blade at about a 10-20 degree angle to the lenses and slide toward the logo. Comes right off.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
here's the link if anyone is interested, though it is pretty self explanatory:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=56180

Originally Posted by raiderbuck
sweet...tried the penny thing and it worked!

Now...I just need some sun :/

Originally Posted by bleedinggumsmurphy
Holy crap, I can't believe how easy that was. It should probably be noted, though, that my lenses are glass (polarized, but that doesn't make a difference here). I assume the hardness of polycarbonate is different (and probably softer), and that it may not be a good idea for those who didn't spring for the glass.

Originally Posted by mrsnak
The copper penny works great. Just lightly scraping the logo off with the edge is soft enough to remove the paint without scratching the glass on my polarized glass aviators.

Noice! My ClubMasters are now logo-free. Thanks SF!

the anomaly

Reaction score
does it actually matter what kind of penny? What does "copper penny" mean anyway?

All post 1982 pennies are 97% zinc, so are you saying I need one of the older predominately copper ones?

I really hate the garish logo on my clubmasters but I'd rather keep them there then damage the lens from misinformation.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my friend was able to order wayfarers custom made with no logos on them, like none whatsoever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads