• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golf Tournament Names - A benefit of the recession?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Investment bank Friedman Billings Ramsey has announced that they will no longer sponsor the PGA event in Phoenix after 2010 and Northern Trust Bank is under fire for flying employees and clients to the tournament in Los Angeles this past weekend.

Is it too much hope to think that a side benefit of the economic crisis might be that these tournaments could return to their proper names?

I would much prefer to watch The Phoenix Open rather than The FBR Open and The LA Open rather than the Northern Trust.

It would also be nice to be able to watch The Western Open again rather than the BMW Championship; The Colonial rather than the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial and The Tucson Open instead of the WGC Accenture Match Play Championship.

Heck, why not return to calling it the Crosby Clambake rather than the AT&T Pebble Beach Championship?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bradford - I don't watch golf, but you've identified one of the great universal truths of recent times. The usual suspects will disagree, but corporations have really mucked things up over the last 10 years or so. Let's start with stadiums and buildings and then go on to golf tournaments!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to see some corporations named after golf tournaments. Adds a surrealist touch to some rather boring proceedings.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Um, I wonder what the future of these tournaments will be without corporate sponsorship? It's not like ticket receipts will fund the prize money, expenses, etc.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Um, I wonder what the future of these tournaments will be without corporate sponsorship? It's not like ticket receipts will fund the prize money, expenses, etc.

Well, these golfers are all rich anyway. We'll just redistribute their wealth!
nest.gif

Yeah, I understand the economics of sponsorships. Doesn't mean I have to like it though!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Aaaaaaaaaaand in Georgia, the Masters is still called: the Masters.

+1 to the state of Georgia.

and the us open is still the us open. gots nuthin' to do w/ jawja.

stvnr

Reaction score
Golf tournament names might benefit from the recession but the tournaments might disappear altogether. In general, it's bad for golf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads