• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teeth Whitening

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Maybe Notreknip is my dentist -_-

It's kind of ridiculous/annoying how my fathers insurance covers literally unlimited dental work for me at the best dentist in the city and I only go a few times a year for cleaning, yet it wouldn't cover anything related to tooth whitening.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the customization procedure is just like fitting a plastic mouth guard for sports. Ie.e, You heat up the plastic tray in hot/boiling water so it is very pliable, then you put it in your mouth and suck the excess water out. By sucking on the pliable tray it form-fits to your teeth. I think then you send in the form to a lab and they create a tray based on that mold you just made.

Add bleach/gel and wear...

If that's the process, it's easily do-it-yourself for the mold creation process.

Ippo

Reaction score
Great, the site is Canadian friendly too. Thanks for the info

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
<----- Dentist

Get some custom made trays and some 10-14% carbamine peroxide from your dentist. Here in Canada this should cost you $350-500; I imagine the cost is similar in the US.

Don't get suckered into anything else.

Is this pretty much the same thing you use?

Casey

Reaction score
Has anybody tried those $20 Rembrandt trays they sell at Wal-Mart? If they're really as amazing as I think they should be, then I'd give them a try. But $20 seems kind of cheap for a product that should do wonders.

I just use Arm &amp; Hammer toothpaste with the whitening booster. It's really slow but my teeth really are white after using it.

I heard that my sister's old high school chem teacher brushed his teeth with just baking soda. And his teeth were really white.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pack of the Crest Whitestrips about a month ago, and used it about 4 times so far (4 individual packs, not 4 complete boxes). I actually noticed whitening of my top row, the bottom row was harder to wear and to get the strip to stay in place, and a tooth that sits back a little bit is not being whitened as well as the rest.

They're not uncomfortable, just take a little maneuvering to put on, and then you have to reposition them if the slip around during the hour you're supposed to wear them. No tbad for $25 or however much they were
smile.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
I would suspect the customization procedure is just like fitting a plastic mouth guard for sports. Ie.e, You heat up the plastic tray in hot/boiling water so it is very pliable, then you put it in your mouth and suck the excess water out. By sucking on the pliable tray it form-fits to your teeth. I think then you send in the form to a lab and they create a tray based on that mold you just made. Add bleach/gel and wear... If that's the process, it's easily do-it-yourself for the mold creation process.
No, it's a real mold. They send you a two-part putty that you put on your teeth to make the mold, then you ship it back to them and they make two sets of plastic trays. Then I just buy Opalescence 30% (you can use 15% or so if you want) carbamide peroxide off Amazon. $350-500 is way too much. I think I spent $120 for stuff just as good as what a dentist would charge because there was no labor cost or markup. Over the counter whitening kits have a very weak carbamide peroxide solution and I found them to generally be crap. EDIT: don't know Canadian prices. I'm using US dollars.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Maybe Notreknip is my dentist -_-

It's kind of ridiculous/annoying how my fathers insurance covers literally unlimited dental work for me at the best dentist in the city and I only go a few times a year for cleaning, yet it wouldn't cover anything related to tooth whitening.

Makes sense to me considering it's cosmetic in nature.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to test why's approach. Look for a results post in late January. thanks for the info

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the custom trays notably different in feel compared to the boil-and-bite mouthguard-style versions?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Are the custom trays notably different in feel compared to the boil-and-bite mouthguard-style versions?

They're 10x better. I can talk with them in (for what it's worth in case I have a phone call or something), they don't waste paste and they don't get paste all over gum tissue.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Very white. I was really surprised by the difference since other products worked like ****. It was night and day.

Best thing I ever did for myself. A good smile goes such a long way.

Do you get your whitening product from them as well? Which do you use?

I've had good luck with Crest white strips in the past, but would be reluctant to continue using them.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
They're 10x better. I can talk with them in (for what it's worth in case I have a phone call or something), they don't waste paste and they don't get paste all over gum tissue.

Exactly. They are a great investment. They are far more effective.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Do you get your whitening product from them as well? Which do you use?

I've had good luck with Crest white strips in the past, but would be reluctant to continue using them.

I use Colgate's Visible White with trays. Despite the fact that I drink about 5-6 cups of coffee every day, people have come up to me in bars to ask me how my teeth are so white. Accept no substitutes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads