• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BlazerSuit™ ... Part Deux!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate that shade of grey, but it's a clever solution that probably makes more sense in Dallas. Rotate in a pair of dark grey trousers and you're good to go.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think so.

I'm getting a Navy jacket with the patch pockets from Jason pretty soon. I was debating which buttons.

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
My very pedestrian attempt at a The BlazerSuitâ„¢ commission
light grey flannel with brown horn buttons, only two patch pockets though, as I am still too weak in the iGent heart for a breast patch pocket

CIMG1555.jpg

I can't see how that works as a blazer... Does the cloth have a herringbone pattern that has been washed out? Also, is it really that light? The fit is nice though, and I like the buttons.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
You need to us linked buttons, like a cufflink, so you can change out the buttons on the blazer suit and use ones appropriate for the occasion.

Originally Posted by Dewey
good idea

Originally Posted by haganah
Show me this...please.

Originally Posted by RJman
George Hamilton supposedly does this on a suit -- has buttons to swap out to use it as a blazer, suit coat and something else, either a sport coat or a DJ.

Originally Posted by Manton
That's like BlazerSuit™ 2.0 ... badass ...

Do it. That's something I could totally get behind. I suppose I like such gimmicks.

Originally Posted by haganah
I'm dying to see this. If anyone has any pictures, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have to say, I don't understand how it would work. Link fronts make sense for the waist button, but what do you do about the other front buttons, and the sleeve buttons?

Originally Posted by countdemoney
It's all in the execution - can you make the button hole small enough on the inside cot flap, so that the casual observer couldn't spot the trick. Not sure how to handle the coat sleeves, but I'm sure there's a good way.

Detail pictures would start an SF revolution in button shank pr0n.

Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Links would work on the sleeves. Do you fear the inside buttons would be uncomfortable?

For the other front buttons, thread shank to a small metal loop and use cotter pins inside, like are used on Navy uniforms. (Metal blazer buttons, already shanked, could take the cotter pin directly.)

Button covers seem undesirable. I would think they would feel cheap like those hollow metal buttons used on most RTW blazers.

Originally Posted by grimslade
But link buttons are brilliant.

Manton, they're just double-sided buttons, with button holes on both sides.

But I don't want buttonholes on the right side of my jacket front, especially on the top and bottom buttons.

Originally Posted by grimslade
The top button is a problem on a 3B, it's true. The button one, not so much. The goal would be to design it, as far as possible, to be invisible from the front. Perhaps that's a pipe dream.

^^ I suspect linked buttons are a secret feature of the SwissArmySuit™. Time will tell.

Resolving these issues would take such skill, require the rediscovery of certain techniques, and then involve the creation of new construction insights that it could not be possible in the real world. Diagrams would have to be drawn up. Tests would have to be conducted. Quite possibily, multiple tailors would need to meet in a pub and debate not only how to do it, but perhaps the wisdom of flying an assassin across the Atlantic to snuff out the dude who would conceive of such a time consuming, meticulous task involving hours and hours of extra work.

It would take a client cruel and fiendish...even merciless. A real asshole.

No: the whole scenario is quite impossible. Like most nightmares, best forgetten in the day and left deep in the psyche at night.

Return to your homes, gentlemen.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I don't know-- the patch breast pocket seems increasingly au courant.

http://www.butasforme.com/wp-content...awleySmoot.jpg

I would not dispute that -- I, however, am anything but au courant ...

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Why? Do you think that devoting a whole, gigantic wall within a large (okay: palacial) office suite to framed and mounted photographs of exotic trips is a manifestly undemocratic snub to a world of cubicles, bank bailouts, and TGI Fridays?

It could be worse, you know.

HallofMirrors.jpg

I'm just a minor tyrant...so small as to be barely visible. Itsy bitsy. Like a speck, or mote.

- B

Couldn't you just spring for one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_photo_frame) and save a whole whack of wallspace?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Couldn't you just spring for one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_photo_frame) and save a whole whack of wallspace?

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of having all the frames replaced with digital ones so that I can have rotating photographs via WiFi from a photo server. An electrician is coming by next week to see about the practicality of the wiring for power.

I probably won't do it because of the bother, but we'll see.

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smithers
The top button is a problem on a 3B, it's true. The button one, not so much. The goal would be to design it, as far as possible, to be invisible from the front. Perhaps that's a pipe dream.

Originally Posted by voxsantorum
Resolving these issues would take such skill, require the rediscovery of certain techniques, and then involve the creation of new construction insights that it could not be possible in the real world. Diagrams would have to be drawn up. Tests would have to be conducted. Quite possibily, multiple tailors would need to meet in a pub and debate not only how to do it, but perhaps the wisdom of flying an assassin across the Atlantic to snuff out the dude who would conceive of such a time consuming, meticulous task involving hours and hours of extra work.

It would take a client cruel and fiendish...even merciless. A real asshole.

No: the whole scenario is quite impossible. Like most nightmares, best forgetten in the day and left deep in the psyche at night.

Return to your homes, gentlemen.

I am sure modern technology and the most ingenious ghostwriting minds of our generation can find a way.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Actually, I've been toying with the idea of having all the frames replaced with digital ones so that I can have rotating photographs via WiFi from a photo server. An electrician is coming by next week to see about the practicality of the wiring for power.

I probably won't do it because of the bother, but we'll see.

- B

The color scheme for your office reminds me of a primary school.

- Jealous small-timer.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am sure modern technology and the most ingenious ghostwriting minds of our generation can find a way.

It should be ready at the end of next week. Finally.

The color scheme for your office reminds me of a primary school.

- Jealous small-timer.

Food fight!

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score
I actually once had a customer who had a blazer with solid gold buttons. He did not trust his dry cleaner with it so he had the coat made (I do not know where) with small holes in the front and on the sleeves so that the buttons could be attached with cotter pins. He then removed the buttons when he sent it to the cleaners. If i recall correctly the blazer was quarter lined, which would make it much easier to get to the front buttons at least.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The cloth on BlazerSuitâ„¢ 2.0 looks really nice in the daylight. I thought you would all want to know that.

gherrmann

Reaction score
I have to admit, this permutation is making me think about whether I need to revise my position on the deployment of pink shirts in the context of office attire.

Slightly less conservative business dress. Pink shirt, burg tie, brown croc belt, brown calf shoes.

p1050659.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads