• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The unemployment thread

micbain

Reaction score
For those who are now jobless, this can be an area of refuge!

So what are you guys doing? Are you simply job hunting? Are you upgrading your skills through school or other? I'm sort of hooped right now, no real job prospects around here for the particular job I'm looking for. I don't want to have to get a MBA but that might be the only solution right now....

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been out for awhile, and my area of profession is stalled out so right now i am sending resumes, writing cover letters, polishing my portfolio, and spending a lot of time working out. perfect time to get a really routine going in the gym, plus i've got time to eat every 2 hours and see real gains in a short amount of time.

Shakermaker

Reaction score
Being laid off isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was out of work for a couple of months and used the opportunity to go to the gym every day and eat every few hours. I felt amazing during that time. Now I'm back at work, not going to the gym, and eating like crap.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
Being laid off isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was out of work for a couple of months and used the opportunity to go to the gym every day and eat every few hours. I felt amazing during that time. Now I'm back at work, not going to the gym, and eating like crap.

this is what exactly happened to me last year.

laid off = time to get my body in shape and eat right, and i went from 210+ to 168 lbs.

employed over the last year = out of shape, eat bad, and went from 168 to currently 195 lbs.

confused.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm using this time to relax and enjoy life. I'm buying/selling on eBay to pay bills. Sleeping in, working out, enjoying my hobbies ....it's great. It's also boring when everyone else is at work and I have nothing to do. I've been unemployed since January but just recently signed up for unemployment. Finding a job right now is near impossible, because there will always be the guy who has 5 more years experience than you and his schedule is open 24 hrs. Ugh.....

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was only part-time and people kept telling me I couldn't get unemployment for part-time work, plus I got denied for it once in the past, so that held me up for awhile. Around the beginning of February I said screw it and applied anyway - looks like I should get my first payment soon as they said first payment by direct deposit usually takes a few weeks.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I'll find out today at 11 but I'm pretty sure I"ll be joining you.

good luck dude.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

****. That sucks man. Good luck.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'll be making a few people unemployed Friday. We have one particular program that was somewhat marginal, but # served has been dropping in this economy. Last week we were told one of the major payor sources would be reducing rates. As of March 1, Obama has signed, as part of the "stimulus," that an organization must not only pay 65% of a former employee's COBRA, they must also pay it for all dependents. Given this hard deadline of next week, we cannot wait to see if we can save the jobs, we must act now. It sort of sucks, but my hand is being forced.

micbain

Reaction score

Good luck. This is one of the few clubs where limited membership is better.

Besides getting in shape, I am bored out of my mind sitting at home. I feel like my mind is turning into mush...

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Good luck. This is one of the few clubs where limited membership is better.

Besides getting in shape, I am bored out of my mind sitting at home. I feel like my mind is turning into mush...

Get an Xbox 360. There are some weekends I wish I had my 40hrs a week back. I'm sure I could beat down kids playing hookie from school in some Gears of War 2.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I was only part-time and people kept telling me I couldn't get unemployment for part-time work, plus I got denied for it once in the past, so that held me up for awhile. Around the beginning of February I said screw it and applied anyway - looks like I should get my first payment soon as they said first payment by direct deposit usually takes a few weeks.

I've heard that they always deny people on the first try - a way to save money since many people won't bother to re-apply...

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Get an Xbox 360. There are some weekends I wish I had my 40hrs a week back. I'm sure I could beat down kids playing hookie from school in some Gears of War 2.

haha...I got the xbox 360 and then bought gears of war 2...probably the only game which has been able to retain my attention for more than an hour of game play. I usually get ****** kicked in NHL series games because I never really made the jump from SNES to the next generation of game systems. I will whoop some ass in street fighter II for SNES!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads