• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoeless Student

Classically

Reaction score
Okay after a rainy day, I realized that I need to wear shoes that don't tear easily and repel rain. I've searched around a bit and am trying to decide what to get before my trip to New York in two weeks. I'm trying to find something that can take some wear and tear and somewhat versatile when it comes to weather.

Here are the finalists so far:

AE Wilbert $245
1951.jpg

Alden Indy Boots $320
405.jpg

Alden Mocc Oxford $245
H943.jpg

I'm also up for any recommendations.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of those 3, I'd buy the Alden Indy boot for sure. The other 2 you posted are fugly imho.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden Indy. They're the only ones that look like they'd really combat bad weather without losing an aesthetic appeal.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the indy.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Of those 3, I'd buy the Alden Indy boot for sure. The other 2 you posted are fugly imho.

The stock pic doesn't do the Mocc Oxford justice. They look much nicer IRL.
am1.jpg

I know the Indy is a forum favorite, but boots aren't very versatile at all IMO. Particularly when Spring/Summer is right around the corner.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Those look good! I was going to recommend Russells, but if you need these quick, by all means go with AEs.

If I need a waterproof shoe, though, I wear a waterproof shoe--hiking boots, mostly.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever shoes you buy, make sure they they have a water impenetrable sole (most usually some form of rubber), and then seal them before you wear them with a beeswax-based leather protectant (I prefer to use Sno-Seal but there are others). Make sure to seal all around the stitching area where the upper meets the sole as well.

These precautions applied to well made shoes allows you to have shoes that can stand up to most anything nature, and man (salt) can throw at you in inclement weather. The shoes should age well, and last you for years to come.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good tips. Rubber soles should prove more comfortable than leather soles as well, if the OP plans to walk a lot.

Originally Posted by obeserabbit
i like the moccs

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
^Those look good!

Thanks! They're up for sale at the moment.

Classically

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I decided on the Indy Boots but I'm going to hold off buying them until they either go down in price or I can find a better deal. As much as I love quality footwear, I love money even more.
teacha.gif

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classically
Thanks for the info guys. I decided on the Indy Boots but I'm going to hold off buying them until they either go down in price or I can find a better deal. As much as I love quality footwear, I love money even more.
teacha.gif

I'd go with the moc for versatility's sake, but the Indy boots are of course a classic. You can't go wrong, but I read in another thread that Alden's prices are about to go up, so you might not want to wait too long to make your purchase.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
I'd go with the moc for versatility's sake, but the Indy boots are of course a classic. You can't go wrong, but I read in another thread that Alden's prices are about to go up, so you might not want to wait too long to make your purchase.
I think that the conclusion in that thread was that they were going up by just $15 across the board. If there is a chance of getting an Indy on sale (which with Alden might be difficult), it would probably be cheaper to get the boot at it's new higher price on sale than snatching it at full price before the price hike).

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classically
teacha.gif

With a pair of Indy boots in my shoe rotation for the past five years, I've got to tell you, I have never seen them go on sale. I also have the AE Wilberts in my collection and...in the interest of economy...recommend you go with the Wilberts. Call the AE factory store...you might find a pair of seconds for a bit less than $150!
wink.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
IMO Alden Rubber-soled Chukka in a Dark Suede. I'm wearing them as I type this! I just finished walking a mile and a half and still comfy. The suede makes them both a great casual/semi dressy shoe (although I wouldn't wear them with, say, a suit), and they're extremely rugged from what I've seen so far.

Whatever you do get though, you can't go wrong with Alden. I think I'm going to save up and buy some special run Indy Boots from Leather Soul Hawaii.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics