• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drape tutorial?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wait, how can that be Whife with all that waist? I though Whife drape = sack, which has no waist.
confused.gif

He bought it so he could look larger than he is. Or so he could be free to be fat/American. Or something.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyway, it's a great-looking jacket. Especially if you ignore the first-draft-ness below the waist.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Lest it get lost in the chatter, you look good in the experiment, and would look even better if you could tweak away its historical oddities.

And, your ability to execute this so well on yourself...which has got to be tougher than doing it for someone else...is admirable.

Thank you for letting me shanghai you into this thread.

- B

Originally Posted by Concordia
Anyway, it's a great-looking jacket. Especially if you ignore the first-draft-ness below the waist.

Guess who's buying the steaks in Boston, Jeffery.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

Thank you. Besides, it's supposed to take me 3 times to get it right, no?

Originally Posted by dopey
Guess who's buying the steaks in Boston, Jeffery.

I was wondering where all this unusual bonhomie was coming from.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
No. I'll repeat myself. Again
smile.gif

Whife gave several options. Some for shapeless, some for shapely. This is shapely. Another thing is the width of the sleeve- Whife gave no sleeve draft so I used my own method which is rather trim and accentuates the waistiness- a full sleeve would have camouflaged it a bit.

Both buttons are too low. Blame that on Whife too.

I too will repeat myself. Whife never uses the term "sack" or "sacky" - ever. His default pattern for a drape cut shows a coat that is cut easier in the waist.

It also vindicates my view that Whife is one of the most authoritative cutters to have published in the 20th century. Some may even say the most authoritative.

He also shows you way of manipulating the drape pattern to make it more like a Rubinacci, by taking the side seam up into the armscye, and deepening the front darts extended down to the base of the skirt. This makes the chest even look fuller, the waist and skirt narrower.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
And, your ability to execute this so well on yourself...which has got to be tougher than doing it for someone else...is admirable.

Especially on a first try. On a style that you don't even like. Just to be clear, all my quibble are just quibbles. I would order that from you in a heartbeat, and wear it with pride.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I too will repeat myself. Whife never uses the term "sack" or "sacky" - ever. His default pattern for a drape cut shows a coat that is cut easier in the waist.

It also vindicates my view that Whife is one of the most authoritative cutters to have published in the 20th century. Some may even say the most authoritative.

He also shows you way of manipulating the drape pattern to make it more like a Rubinacci, by taking the side seam up into the armscye, and deepening the front darts extended down to the base of the skirt. This makes the chest even look fuller, the waist and skirt narrower.

Ah, OK, so Whife is not wrong, Sator is wrong when he says drape = BB sack. Thanks for clearing that up!

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, Alden would be gloating right now. Too bad for him he chose to shut down that hotbed of dissent when he did.
laugh.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, OK, so Whife is not wrong, Sator is wrong when he says drape = BB sack. Thanks for clearing that up!
No, I never said that. I said that the older American English term for a lounge coat is a "sack coat" - whether it is draped, close fitting, with or without a front dart. All of the American cutting texts before about 1950 use the term "sack coat" as a generic term for a lounge coat. I also stated that the term "sac coat" is the older British English term for what was later usually called a "lounge coat". That is, "sac coat" is an older British English term for "lounge coat" just as "cutaway" is the older British English term for a "morning coat". Never once did I bring up Brooks Brothers.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sator, you have said over and over -- here, on LL, on AA, on FNB -- that we who like drape are idiots who don't undestand what it is. Drape = too big = sack = American. You have said that my book is wrong when I define drape as full chest, nipped waist, trim hip. Now jeffery makes exactly that coat, and you say this is what you meant by drape all along. Forgive me if I conclude that I have caught you in an inconsistency.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pardon the interruption, but would the hip on Jeffrey's coat be called trim? I would not have thought so. I would have thought a trim hip would be more columnar, though perhaps I am misunderstanding the term.

Let me make clear I'm not attempting to wade into the dispute over the definition of drape. Perhaps this is a bad point to place this post, but there we go.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, what I have said over and over again is that the "drape cut sack coat" ("sack coat" being just a generic traditional American English term for a lounge coat) as described in Regal's American Garment Cutter (1933) and Apparel Art reflects a classical American taste, highly characteristic of the old American school of "custom" tailoring.

I have, and will insist - a thousand times over - that I have never meant this to be in any way pejorative or insulting to anyone. Over and over, I have offered to take back and apologise if you can find anything I have written, which is in any way demeaning towards the classical American school.

Admittedly, my taste is for a more structured English/Italian style. At least, at the moment. However, I have always found all ideas from all schools of tailoring to be interesting. Never would I have suggested to Jeffreyd that he try Whife's published thoughts on the drape cut, if I didn't.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Pardon the interruption, but would the hip on Jeffrey's coat be called trim? I would not have thought so. I would have thought a trim hip would be more columnar, though perhaps I am misunderstanding the term.

Let me make clear I'm not attempting to wade into the dispute over the definition of drape. Perhaps this is a bad point to place this post, but there we go.

I guess it's possible that he is built like a twig, but it looks trim to me -- definitely narrower than the chest, which is not the case with a true sack.

To me, the best drape coats have cupped skirts.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sator, you have said over and over -- here, on LL, on AA, on FNB -- that we who like drape are idiots who don't undestand what it is. Drape = too big = sack = American. You have said that my book is wrong when I define drape as full chest, nipped waist, trim hip. Now jeffery makes exactly that coat, and you say this is what you meant by drape all along. Forgive me if I conclude that I have caught you in an inconsistency.

BTW I think you will find that it is others who are saying most of that you have paraphrased. As for Whife, as Jeffreyd has repeatedly pointed out, his default pattern for the drape cut shows a waist which is fuller. That is to say, it is not possible to say that drape cut coats have, by definition, a nipped waist. However, I agree it is possible to have a drape cut coat with a narrower waist, but it is not an essential characteristic of the drape cut. Usually, both the trousers and the coat overall have greater ease of fit.

As for the "sack coat" I have all along used it as a generic American English term for a lounge coat. Used in this way, it does not imply a particular cut or silhouette.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess it's possible that he is built like a twig, but it looks trim to me -- definitely narrower than the chest, which is not the case with a true sack.

To me, the best drape coats have cupped skirts.

Maybe it is because I am built like a twig, but I would have thought that significant waist suppression would require some fullness to the hip. If I wanted, I could wear a very slim sack that made me look like a column -- no flare at all.

Perhaps trim in this case is a relative term?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads