• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name pre-SF regrettable purchases.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Is this suppose to be if SF made you regrett what you had purchased prior to joining, or Things you regrett now in general with no specific relationship to Joining SF?

Steve madden shoes, Hanes T's, Gap jeans, express polo's

Those are my biggest clothing regrets thanlk god that was 3 years ago and i was only 20.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Emanuel Ungaro, Jones NY suits from S&K. 4 Joseph Bank suits, some at $500 a piece, at least those were "signature gold." Ebayed them for about $100 a piece a while ago. Bachrach shirts and ties. Florsheim, Nunn Bush, and Johnston and Murphy shoes. Weird polyester blend Riley collar shirts that I used to think were cool, including one that was lime green.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
1 black hugo boss suit, non-vented, for 800 bucks no less.......

3 Tasso Alba ( MACY brand) suits

Originally Posted by bc78
My suits were really bad:
Black DKNY suit.2 Suits with pleats. Nothing against pleats in general, they just look horrible on me.
A 4 button suit. I'm 5'10"

Originally Posted by DrCool1978
Black ventless hugo boss suit.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Varvatos USA suit for $600....in black no less

Hugo boss pants $175 each, 3 pair

Green label jackets - 3 at $200 each

Express shirts, about 10 that are really crapola paid at least $30 a peice.

Oh yeah, I've been there. Me personally, my black suit was the 3B ventless ripoff special from Manny's Mens Shop in the western 'burbs of Chicago. The fabric quality is slightly better than burlap. Looking back, I feel like when I walked into the store the salesman saw me and I turned into a giant walking dollar sign, cartoon style.

Doc4

Reaction score
I'll join the "fugly shoes" parade.

I bought two good-looking quality pair of dress shoes back in the mid-90s. (That's good.)

Once I discovered STP, I bought several pair of shoes of various Spanish and Italian designed shoes of questionable style and marginal quality. I used to think that Sandro Moscaloni was the shiznit.
blush.gif

At least by the time I found SF I had moved up to Charles Tyrwhitt English-made shoes.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everything I had prior to SF was donated. The only relic I have is a pair of Bruno Magli's that I reserve for those rare occassions when I expect to walk in mud, oil or the like.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
spent about $1500 on Prada and Bruno Magli shoes about a month before i joined the forum. argh.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
Emanuel Ungaro, Jones NY suits from S&K. 4 Joseph Bank suits, some at $500 a piece, at least those were "signature gold." Ebayed them for about $100 a piece a while ago. Bachrach shirts and ties. Florsheim, Nunn Bush, and Johnston and Murphy shoes. Weird polyester blend Riley collar shirts that I used to think were cool, including one that was lime green.

good call on ungaro. I used to think it was hot sh!t b/c it was italian.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I had a 5 button Kaspar suit in high school. I am 5'8".

I also used to wear exclusively Aldo shoes.

It sounds like you might have had more sex in high school.

- B

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic, way too much Banana Republic.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 Joseph Abboud suits
1 Nordstrom House brand suit
1 Macy's Alfani suit

They are not egregious, just mediocre. I overpaid for all of them. I could have bought two (or perhaps three) good suits from Chan had I known of them back then. I might give a couple of them to Goodwill pretty soon.

1 Ralph Lauren jacket that is from a 65-35 wool-rayon blend. It was a fine-looking, good-fitting jacket when I bought it, but today it is pilling like hell and just looks shabby.

1 Nordstrom house brand jacket (shortly before I discovered SF). This only cost me $150 and is okay for bumming around the neighborhood, but the fit doesn't compare with my Chan coats, predictably enough.

A lot of the shoes I bought in the past were pretty second rate--Clarks, Rockport, low-end Ralph Lauren, but I had gotten into better shoes (A-Es, Ferragamos) before discovering SF.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horrible black rugby shoes. I wanted a "dressy casual shoe."
confused.gif

A Green Label herringbone sportcoat. Luckily, I bought this at Marshalls for $100. Still, it was a waste of money. Still has the tags and is sitting in my closet.

Way too much stuff a size or two larger than I needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics