• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Of course I have to post the obligatory airport Appreciation
laugh.gif
however it is truly my favorite building on earth. Unfortunately Photobucket is acting up so I can't use some of my own shots that I believe capture the life of the building. It may be more because of the memories of good times I've had here but I find the physical structure to be architecturally notable.

Saarinen's terminal at Dulles Airport, Virginia:
002953_Dulles_Terminal_1M.jpg

Dulles%20Airport%20Terminal%20(Small).jpg

h_dulles.jpg

Dulles2.jpg

001_21588310.jpg

73826046.wys14WUV.jpg

Also of note just up the airport access road is the interesting Gannett/USA Today headquarters:
gannett2-788281.jpg

7152208.GannettSpooky.jpg

i actually did a case study of this building in a-school. in fact i have scans of the the entire set of original construction documents somewhere, and they're amazing. don't tell the feds though, i have a feeling airport blueprints are a big post-9/11 no-no

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
And to think that these were the costs:

Think about all the crap people would build for $2.3 million today. None of it is going to look that good 70 years from now.

I'm planning a trip to go see that as well as Kentuck Knob in the spring.

seeing both of those houses in person was one of the more inspiring things i've done. fallingwater lives up to the hype.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Accounting for inflation, this translates to about $2.3 million in 2007 dollars.
Somehow I doubt the accuracy of this...especially since the restoration work cost $11 million itself a few years ago.

Building a completely custom main house, plus guest house, designed by a superstar architect (including all custom furniture by said superstar) on a remote, difficult site today is going to set you back more than a couple of million dollars I would think, even taking into consideration much easier engineering capabilities of today.

Mind you, most people forking out a few million for their McMansion want more than 2800 sqft of living space. We seem to want more space these days, at the cheapest cost per square foot, rather than the opposite. And that's the problem.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Somehow I doubt the accuracy of this...especially since the restoration work cost $11 million itself a few years ago.

Building a completely custom main house, plus guest house, designed by a superstar architect (including all custom furniture by said superstar) on a remote, difficult site today is going to set you back more than a couple of million dollars I would think, even taking into consideration much easier engineering capabilities of today.

Mind you, most people forking out a few million for their McMansion want more than 2800 sqft of living space. We seem to want more space these days, at the cheapest cost per square foot, rather than the opposite. And that's the problem.

Came from this USA today article:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...ght-home_N.htm

$155,000 in 1937.

As a side note, I have got quite the affinity for Wright works as I grew up spending a lot of time in David Henken's Usonia community. I think this gave me a hate of McMansions straight out of the womb.
laugh.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Reborn
Came from this USA today article:

USA Today probably just used the CPI. Not a good measure for comparing something so specific as this. Construction costs were through the roof the last few years--probably much higher inflation than in general (for starters); the number of skilled craftsman that can build such a house is much smaller these days (also driving up price; etc.

Imagine how much it would cost to duplicate a Horta or Gaudi house these days. Especially a Horta house filled with intricate wrought-iron (sp?) work and Tiffany stained glass.

b

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
USA Today probably just used the CPI. Not a good measure for comparing something so specific as this. Construction costs were through the roof the last few years--probably much higher inflation than in general (for starters); the number of skilled craftsman that can build such a house is much smaller these days (also driving up price; etc.
Not only that, but if Wright only got paid 8 grand, that represents only 0.5% of the construction costs. Nowadays, 10% or more is normal for single family custom homes, and superstar architects generally charge way more. Could you imagine what it would cost to have say...Frank Gehry design a home for you, plus custom design all the interior spaces and furniture?

Also, the difference in complying with building/safety codes these days adds large costs that probably didn't even exist back then.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only that, but if Wright only got paid 8 grand, that represents only 0.5% of the construction costs. Nowadays, 10% or more is normal for single family custom homes, and superstar architects generally charge way more. Could you imagine what it would cost to have say...Frank Gehry design a home for you, plus custom design all the interior spaces and furniture?

Through the roof, so to speak. But a question (your excellent point aside): did FLW do anything other than houses? And has Gehry ever done a house?

b

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
did FLW do anything other than houses?
Yes.

I wish I could have seen the Imperial Hotel.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Through the roof, so to speak. But a question (your excellent point aside): did FLW do anything other than houses? And has Gehry ever done a house?

b

FLW did quite a bit of work outside of homes but much of it was torn down.

His most famous is The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum which is still standing in NYC.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S. C. Johnson and Son (Johnson Wax) admin building in Racine, WI.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Another amazing building that was never built is the Isaac Newton Cenotaph designed by Étienne-Louis BoullÃ
00a9.png
e in 1784.

34rxf7k.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wright designed a good deal of furniture--much of it for the custom homes he did--and office furnishings. He also designed his own, rather flamboyant clothing. Personally, I like his Mayan Revival stuff the best.

Boullee, Ledoux and all those 18th century visionary architects are great.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vader House by Andrew Maynard, located in Melbourne:

vader_210209_01.jpg

vader_210209_016.jpg

vader_210209_02.jpg

vader_210209_011.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads