• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oblique exercises to get that V-shape?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some good exercises to get that V shape in the lower stomach region (from the Obliques down to the pelvic area)? I do alot of core work (incld. squats) but I still dont seem to have that V shape. When I flex my abs the front is rock hard but the outer area is soft (almost like there isnt a whole lot of muscle there).... I never do any Oblique exercises so I am guessing that is how to get the V but I am not really sure which I should be doing....

any suggestions?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honest question: why do you care?

Those aren't the obliques anyway. They're the trasverse abdominals and your answer is heavy core work (good mornings, squats, deadlift).

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Those aren't the obliques anyway. They're the trasverse abdominals and your answer is heavy core work (good mornings, squats, deadlift).

Dont really care that much more just interested. So those have nothing to do with ab work? what would be some Oblique exercises? only one I know of is those plate bends when u take a 45 in one hand standing and kind of bend to the side (dont seem to do **** though, kinda a waste of time).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Dont really care that much more just interested. So those have nothing to do with ab work? what would be some Oblique exercises? only one I know of is those plate bends when u take a 45 in one hand standing and kind of bend to the side (dont seem to do **** though, kinda a waste of time).
Like I said, those muscles you're referring to are deep abdominals called the transverse abdominals and they stabilize the spine. Any heavy loading on the spine will work them. I remember a few years ago when I got into heavy strength work I'd wake up the next morning and feel sick to my stomach from the way they'd press onto the nerves in that region. Anyway, it's all about deadlift, squats, and good mornings. If you've got a legitimate 350+lb. deadlift or so you should be able to see them.

breakdown

Reaction score
Over the past year I got those, at first I thought it was my diet but really I think it was also when I added in more deadlifts, planks and side planks to my weekly routine.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Obliques are on the side... the exercise you describe is an oblique exercise, but the muscle group you describe is not (as why said) the obliques.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did all the reccomended exercises today (sans planks because I have never done them and want to read about the proper form/postiion first). I also added in hanging leg raises(7 set sof 12), which is the exercise that actually felt like it did the most in that region... instead of doing various forms of crunches mixed in with my normal work outs I am thinking of just adding planks (reg and side) and hanging leg raises. Upper abs already feel fine and a number of my regular exercises already work them so I kinda am thinking its a waste of time to be doing crunches and what not when I could be on the treadmill..

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Only if your bodyfat is low enough, of course.
For the bottom of them to show it shouldn't take much more than not having dunlop. Most men don't store much fat below the femoral head.
I did all the reccomended exercises today (sans planks because I have never done them and want to read about the proper form/postiion first). I also added in hanging leg raises(7 set sof 12), which is the exercise that actually felt like it did the most in that region... instead of doing various forms of crunches mixed in with my normal work outs I am thinking of just adding planks (reg and side) and hanging leg raises. Upper abs already feel fine and a number of my regular exercises already work them so I kinda am thinking its a waste of time to be doing crunches and what not when I could be on the treadmill..
'Feeling' them shouldn't be relied upon. Not only is the peripheral nervous system in the abdominal region all messed up (hence stomach pain from a testicular blow), but the 'feel' you get is from higher-repetition exercises being used on already-tired muscles that build up a decent amount lactic acid.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The p90x Ab Ripper dvd really helped me get that V-shape down there. But I think it's mainly due to having a ow bodyfat.

What are some good exercises to get that V shape in the lower stomach region (from the Obliques down to the pelvic area)? I do alot of core work (incld. squats) but I still dont seem to have that V shape. When I flex my abs the front is rock hard but the outer area is soft (almost like there isnt a whole lot of muscle there).... I never do any Oblique exercises so I am guessing that is how to get the V but I am not really sure which I should be doing....

any suggestions?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
The p90x Ab Ripper dvd really helped me get that V-shape down there. But I think it's mainly due to having a ow bodyfat.

ha I always see the p90x dvd infomercial on TV, how is that **** does it really work? I have been tryin to find someone with it so I could burn it.... hint hint

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Sex appeal. What other reason is there for working out?

From what I've heard around, laying leg-lifts and hanging leg-lifts really work those muscles.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Sex appeal. What other reason is there for working out?
*points to sig* Not to mention being able to feel good, and feel good about yourself when you look in the mirror.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads