• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Macquerie boots in my true size: 7.5 G, my US size is 8.5 D. I bought them with the brass screwed construction. I wish to buy another one soon.

Icarium

Reaction score
Anyone know how or where to get/try-on boots in E-width such that they would be returnable? Seems to be MTO only, no returns...

I am a true 9.5C in a PA, and have really narrow heels. #5 AE last is one of the few dress shoe lasts that fits well.

NTKT10

Reaction score
Could somebody please identify the boot furthest to the left in this image (style, color, sole)? Thank you.

88CEE4B1D01AAE9C

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the RM Williams store in NYC will order your size without an obligation to buy (he offered to get me something last time I was in there). I figure the same would be true at any of the stores. They also have most sizes in stock.
Originally Posted by Icarium
Anyone know how or where to get/try-on boots in E-width such that they would be returnable? Seems to be MTO only, no returns... I am a true 9.5C in a PA, and have really narrow heels. #5 AE last is one of the few dress shoe lasts that fits well.

RJATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bah0916
Trying to convert RM Williams sizes based on the following shoes:

Alden unlined Chucka Boot, size 9D
Alden Straight tip Blucher Flex Welt 9D
Cole Haan Adrian Penny 9E

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

I wear 9D in Aldens as well.

Originally Posted by JR88
^ I'd say 8G.

So I'm guessing 8G would be the size to get? I was looking at this pair of Cloncurrys for a work-type boot (assuming the chestnut is as dark as pictured). This seems better than any domestic Wellingtons I've seen.

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/default1.htm

Anyone have experience with this model?

I'd like to get some Lucchese Classic Ropers too but looks like the RM Williams can't be beat for the price especially.

http://www.allensboots.com/site/page...4_79_1152.html

wetnose

Reaction score
In Toronto (australianboot.com) I tried the comfort craftsman in a 6.5 G and 7 G - my shoes normally run 8, and I found the shoebox of the 6.5G to be a little too snug. The 7G fit was perfect.

I did look at the swatches on display and fell in love with the kangaroo tanback. I felt the dark brown was bland, but the salesguy did warn me that there are variations in color due to the nature of the leather.

I'm thinking of doing an MTO with bootsonline, using the 530N last with the kangaroo.

Should I get the size in 7F though...since the kangaroo is so much thinner (appears half as thin)?

Has any members had any experience with kangaroo leather in the salty slushy conditions of Toronto?

Eccentric

Reaction score
I just received my first pair of RM Williams yesterday, and I now see what the hype is about. They are chestnut Turnouts in 9.5 E, and thanks to Sator's formula, they fit perfectly. With the shape the Australian dollar is in, I might have to get some more before too long.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
In Toronto (australianboot.com) I tried the comfort craftsman in a 6.5 G and 7 G - my shoes normally run 8, and I found the shoebox of the 6.5G to be a little too snug. The 7G fit was perfect.

I did look at the swatches on display and fell in love with the kangaroo tanback. I felt the dark brown was bland, but the salesguy did warn me that there are variations in color due to the nature of the leather.

I'm thinking of doing an MTO with bootsonline, using the 530N last with the kangaroo.

Should I get the size in 7F though...since the kangaroo is so much thinner (appears half as thin)?

Has any members had any experience with kangaroo leather in the salty slushy conditions of Toronto?

Kangaroo leather due to its very nature and makeup is twice as strong as cow leather. Whether that is appropriate for Toronto I would not know. For that slush stuff I would use the kip leather gardening boots unless you want to look better shod in a more formal way.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
I just received my first pair of RM Williams yesterday, and I now see what the hype is about.
congratulations
Originally Posted by wetnose
My roo boots fit glove-tight over dress socks & in winter weather, my feet get cold. I guess because the roo is not so thick, it's also not so warm.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
Looks like the Gammon to me : http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b582.htm

Similar to the Yard Boot but with lighter coloured leather and stitching. Excellent, tough boots.

Could you wear those Gammon with a suit? I'm in Middle East at the moment and the McQuarie I bought only in Jan are getting a bit battered

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
Could you wear those Gammon with a suit? I'm in Middle East at the moment and the McQuarie I bought only in Jan are getting a bit battered

I don't have them (well, I did briefly but returned them for the Yard Boots). In all honesty, I wouldn't wear them with a suit, they are very much casual/work boots and the leather is an oil-finish which won't take a shine. They are fairly clunky, too.

If you need something in between the leather-sole Macquarie and the Gammon, I'd go with a Comfort Craftsman or Comfort Turnout. Rubber soles for better grip and arguably harder wearing with a padded insole for greater comfort. These in yearling, calf of roo leather would be suit-attire, imo.

Good luck,

TB

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
I don't have them (well, I did briefly but returned them for the Yard Boots). In all honesty, I wouldn't wear them with a suit, they are very much casual/work boots and the leather is an oil-finish which won't take a shine. They are fairly clunky, too.

If you need something in between the leather-sole Macquarie and the Gammon, I'd go with a Comfort Craftsman or Comfort Turnout. Rubber soles for better grip and arguably harder wearing with a padded insole for greater comfort. These in yearling, calf of roo leather would be suit-attire, imo.

Good luck,

TB

Nice one..., can you tell me diff between Turnout and Craftsman? I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere, but I'm at Head Office and probably shouldnt be on styleforum.net

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
Nice one..., can you tell me diff between Turnout and Craftsman? I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere, but I'm at Head Office and probably shouldnt be on styleforum.net

The Turnout has a rounded toe, while the Craftsman has a chisel toe. Both look very nice, IMO, although I (so far) only own a pair of Turnouts.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
^^^yep, what he said. The fit is very similar but the Turnout toe is rounder and higher than the Craftsman. Both are excellent, it comes down to personal preference really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads