• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
How many yards or meters of fabric does a vest require, Chris?

measure the length from the shoulder at the neck down the front to the bottom at the point. add one inch. thats the minimum yardage for a vest.

usctrojan55

Reaction score
Update- How much for a large man's jacket (size 50+) in a fabric with pattern and patch pockets? 3 meters?

calvinloke

Reaction score
What about the width? Is the width of the fabric standardized as I never heard the width mentioned?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Yes- standard.

But there are more than one standard widths. Most suitings will be 60" or 150 cm wide. Some speciality tweeds and linens will be 30" wide or 75 cm.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
But there are more than one standard widths. Most suitings will be 60" or 150 cm wide. Some speciality tweeds and linens will be 30" wide or 75 cm.

True- good clarification.

calvinloke

Reaction score
I'm around 5 feet 4. Fairly skinny. Around 110lbs. Would 3.5 yards be enough for a 2-piece?

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't understand the reasoning behind this kind of questions, you'll be bringing this cloth to a tailor anyway, so why don't you ask him?
Or are you buying before even having chosen the tailor? I would advise against this.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
I'm around 5 feet 4. Fairly skinny. Around 110lbs. Would 3.5 yards be enough for a 2-piece?

More than enough.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Why?

you want to work with your tailor,not at cross purposes.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

When it is 30" wide it is called single width and you need to double the yardage. If you buy four yards at 60" wide you need 8 yards of 30" single width goods.

Some silks are woven in single width.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke

That is enough for a 3 piece.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Interesting. It seems this term, "the whole nine yards" is a bastard child : )

I once went to a "dress-up-medival-festival" with a girlfriend in southern california. No, I didn't dress up. Her friend mentioned that the term came from the nine yards of cloth needed to create the old-school wool/cloth kilt-overall-scottish-look.

I didn't even question it at that point because he told me the night before while drinking vodka... it was a no-brainer.

Anyway... here's a little food for thought. It someone can answer the question - please do:

"Dear Cecil:

No opinions, no made up stories about wedding veils, coal, suits, or brass tacks. Based on discussions with my grandfathers, both World War II veterans, and confirmed by several military sources, here is the definitive answer for where "the whole nine yards" came from. The whole nine yards refers to the length of one ammunition belt from a belly-gunner's machine gun. When a target was overly resilient and the gunner was forced to expend all his ammunition to bring it down, it was said to have taken the "whole nine yards." Also, when loading up for a mission that was going to be particularly dangerous, gunners would refer to bringing the "whole nine yards," as they would need quite a bit of ammunition to complete the mission safely. --Ian McDonald, New York

Cecil replies:

You're not dragging me into this one again. To quote Evan Morris, the Word Detective (www.word-detective.com): "'The whole nine yards' first cropped up in print in the mid-1960s. . . . Even if machine gun belts really were 27 feet long in WWII, why has the phrase 'the whole nine yards' not been found in a single published account of that very well-documented war?"

— Cecil Adams"

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ole-nine-yards

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much fabric does it take to make a 3/4 coat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads