• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best players Currently in the NBA

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Lebron James and Dwight Howard and Kobe

Toss in Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade and we've got us a nice list!

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lebron is a beast plain and simple. 16 points in 3 minutes on his way to 55.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Updated list:

Lebron
Kobe
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Tim Duncan

In that order.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Updated list:

Lebron
Kobe
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Tim Duncan

In that order.

Duncan? Duncan is barely outplaying Shaq right now.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont

If you honestly believe that Duncan only does "barely" more for his team than Shaq does...I don't know what to tell you.
confused.gif

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duncan 20.8 ppg 10.7 rpg 3.8 apg 1.9 bpg Shaq 17.4 ppg 8.9 rpf 1.8 apg 1.5 bpg Remove Shaq from Phoenix, they are still a marginal playoff team. Remove Tim Duncan and the Spurs are the Chicago Bulls. No contest. Also, let's add to the argument of league's best players Kevin Durant. It might be a bit early, but he's borderline unstoppable at the age of 20, still needs to bulk up and is just learning how to defend. In two years, he'll be top 10, if not top 5.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
Duncan
20.8 ppg 10.7 rpg 3.8 apg 1.9 bpg

Shaq
17.4 ppg 8.9 rpf 1.8 apg 1.5 bpg

Remove Shaq from Phoenix, they are still a marginal playoff team. Remove Tim Duncan and the Spurs are the Chicago Bulls. No contest.

Also, let's add to the argument of league's best players Kevin Durant. It might be a bit early, but he's borderline unstoppable at the age of 20, still needs to bulk up and is just learning how to defend. In two years, he'll be top 10, if not top 5.

Yeah, he's definitely headed in that direction.

Originally Posted by 76classic
No Dwayne Wade?

I think he's a clear #6.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he's a clear #6.

Wade is second in points, ninth in assists, and averaging 2 steals and 1.5 blocks. Wade's takeover ability is well-documented, and he's a scoring machine the Heat rely on to stay out of the cellar.

Duncan is still great but his best years are way behind him. He's comparable to Al Jefferson and we wouldn't mention Jefferson in this conversation at all.

Sorry, I just really think Wade belongs on this list.
blush.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you honestly believe that Duncan only does "barely" more for his team than Shaq does...I don't know what to tell you.
confused.gif

At this moment it is true statistically, and since the Spurs aren't contenders I'd say people are still holding onto TD's past.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Sorry, I just really think Wade belongs on this list.
blush.gif

+1. It's hard for me to imagine a top 5 list that has Tim Duncan but overlooks Wade.
confused.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Wade is second in points, ninth in assists, and averaging 2 steals and 1.5 blocks. Wade's takeover ability is well-documented, and he's a scoring machine the Heat rely on to stay out of the cellar. Duncan is still great but his best years are way behind him. He's comparable to Al Jefferson and we wouldn't mention Jefferson in this conversation at all. Sorry, I just really think Wade belongs on this list.
blush.gif

So we're leaving defense out of the equation entirely then? :rollseyes: He's comparable to Al Jefferson as a low-post scorer and rebounder but that's about it. Of course his best years are behind him, but those were MVP years. It's a little harder to be the best player in the NBA at 32.
At this moment it is true statistically, and since the Spurs aren't contenders I'd say people are still holding onto TD's past.
The Spurs have the 2nd best record in their conference. I know Manu just went down, but they aren't contenders?
confused.gif
Stats don't tell the whole story. Tim Duncan is the Spurs. The Suns were arguably better team a couple of years ago with Marion than they are now.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we're leaving defense out of the equation entirely then? :rollseyes: He's comparable to Al Jefferson as a low-post scorer and rebounder but that's about it.

The Spurs have the 2nd best record in their conference. I know Manu just went down, but they aren't contenders?
confused.gif

Stats don't tell the whole story. Tim Duncan is the Spurs. The Suns got arguably worse when they added Shaq and made him the focal point.

Shaq and Duncan aren't equals but TD's output doesn't put him among the elite this year. You are being nostalgic, Dwight Howard also belongs above him. So you think the Spurs have a chance at winning a title?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shaq and Duncan aren't equals but TD's output doesn't put him among the elite this year. You are being nostalgic, Dwight Howard also belongs above him. So you think the Spurs have a chance at winning a title?

Again, TD does a lot for his team that Shaq doesn't do for Phoenix. Play for more than 30 minutes a night, for instance. Be the focal point of an offense. Be the centerpiece of one of the best team defenses in the league. Be an accountable superstar, set an example for other players, which along with Popovich sets the tone for the culture that has created the most consistently good team in the league for nearly 10 years. Etc., etc. I did put Dwight Howard above him. I'm not being nostalgic, I just think that Duncan is so consistent year in and year out and his numbers aren't eye-popping as Parker and Manu have taken on more of the scoring load that people forget how great he is and all the intangibles he brings to the table.

Obviously the Lakers are the heavy favorites, but the Spurs have a chance, yes. By your definition the Lakers are the only contenders in their entire conference?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads