• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drape tutorial?

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you read AY's link to the London Lounge thread, as he notes, that is a decent start.

- B

I tried to read it but there was too much BS in it. "The Drape has no purpose in this world other than to please its owner; it is not utilitarian, not business wear; it need not assert itself through padded shoulders, puffed chest, slashing lapels. It is not anonymous armor but rather open, casual and welcoming. " wtf is that? anyway, the drape apparently sucks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
anyway, the drape apparently sucks.

You are a quick study, and have come to your conclusion in record time.

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyway, the drape apparently sucks.

275.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In a nutshell, drape is a way of cutting that is bigger in the chest around the armhole, usually characterized by vertical fold along the front and back of the armhole. This, combined with soft tailoring, is supposed to be more comfortable. There is debate about how attractive or flattering it is. I am from the clean chest (no drape) school but to satisfy my curiosity as well as a challenge from Sator, I have drafted and am making myself a drape jacket. If you are so inclined you can read about it on my blog, though I will no doubt be posting results of my experiment here.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf is that?.
Well, that was a wonderful, if poetic, essay by someone who loves clothes and is knowledgeable about them. For some reason these are relatively rare and so are valued when found.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
In a nutshell, drape is a way of cutting that is bigger in the chest around the armhole, usually characterized by vertical fold along the front and back of the armhole. This, combined with soft tailoring, is supposed to be more comfortable. There is debate about how attractive or flattering it is. I am from the clean chest (no drape) school but to satisfy my curiosity as well as a challenge from Sator, I have drafted and am making myself a drape jacket. If you are so inclined you can read about it on my blog, though I will no doubt be posting results of my experiment here.

Your test coat is looking FANTASTIC. If you can get it to fit you like a bit closer to the way it fits the dummy, it is a remarkable first attempt.

Bravo.

Also, just a little possible fact correction in your blog: I don't think Scholte was ever at A&S, it is just that the founders were trained by him and were influenced by his theories.

- B

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it fit me like it fits the dummy, it would not be drape, it would be clean chested. There are no folds on the dummy- those folds are the drape. I agree it looks good on the dummy, but drape is not supposed to look like that. There are photos of it on me (in a fitting stage, however) and it not quite so nice.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
If it fit me like it fits the dummy, it would not be drape, it would be clean chested. There are no folds on the dummy- those folds are the drape. I agree it looks good on the dummy, but drape is not supposed to look like that. There are photos of it on me (in a fitting stage, however) and it not quite so nice.

I meant closer to the dummy. Your fitting side shot isn't spectacular, but the back looks quite nice.

And no, you do no look twenty pounds heavier.

What is the sidebody and darting situation with this particular jacket...how are those made up?

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The coat looks much too long and could use some more waist, but I like the shoulders and chest.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. An example of a draped jacket: A&S
aandssuit.jpg

This jacket looks spectacular.
As for jackets that have no drape, that would be 99% of all jackets that you see, RTW or bespoke.
Interestingly enough, I've noticed drapesque characteristics on about 3 or 4 of my sportcoats, all of which are RTW and none of which were tried on before purchasing.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Interestingly enough, I've noticed drapesque characteristics on about 3 or 4 of my sportcoats, all of which are RTW and none of which were tried on before purchasing.

The Anti-Drapites might say that you have a jacket that is simply too big.

Since you are a natty dresser, I would find that hard to believe, so the existence of drapesque characteristics is an interesting phenomena. Do you like it?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The coat looks much too long and could use some more waist, but I like the shoulders and chest.

I was going to say that, but I would have to see a full body shot to see what's going on...it could be that J. uses the length to cover the seat.

- B

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Anti-Drapites might say that you have a jacket that is simply too big.

Since you are a natty dresser, I would find that hard to believe, so the existence of drapesque characteristics is an interesting phenomena. Do you like it?

- B

I like it quite a lot actually. I definitely see the appeal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads