• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Suit v.Ftizgerald and Regent

maxgohan

Reaction score
Okay, I have a chance to get an attractive discount on a suit from BB from an acquaintance in the States (I'm in Canada).

BB doesn't have any stores in Canada as of yet so I can't walk in and try on a size so I need some suggestions as to which other brands are comparable to the sizes of the Fitzgerald and Regent cuts.

I'm 5'10, ~160lbs.

Right now the only suit jacket i have is really cheap one from H&M and it is a 40R which fits well around the shoulders, but the waist needs to be taken in a bit. The jacket cost me $50 so I am not going to spend money on getting it altered.

Link to H&M size table

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which cut i should lean towards? I know that the 8in drop might be a problem for the Fitz as it only has 6in drops but I'm sure I can get the pants taken in an inch or two.

Also I will be visiting a local store today or tomorrow and ask the tailor to measure me and to try out some other cuts from different brands.

If someone can recommend comparisons between the BB Fitz and Regent cuts to other brands that are available in Canada it would be much appreciated so I can get a better fitting suit.

Also if anyone knows where I can find a size table for BB like the above linked H&M it would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
The Fitzgerald is the slimmest offering that Brooks Brothers has. The Regent is trimmer than the Madison, but only slightly. I would say the Madison is similar to the Samuelsohn suits I've seen. Of course the Samuelsohn suits that I've seen were intended for the US market. None of these models are particularly trim when compared to some of the more fashion brands, but the Fitzgerald is trim for a conservative looking suit. I am a regular 6 drop sort of guy, and I still decided to take the Fitzgerald jacket in a little bit. It is also about an inch shorter for the long models, and maybe half an inch shorter in the regular models IIRC. At 5'10, 160, I don't think you will be disappointed. I am 6'1" 185, I am proably a similar build to you although a little pudgier.

maxgohan

Reaction score
What size jacket are you in the Fitz? Did the size change compare to other brands? I've been researching this for a few hours now and some people are suggesting going up a size in the Fitz due to the "slimness". I have no way of trying this jacket on so i need to compare with measurements. Would you mind posting the shoulder to shoulder size in inches for your jacket? thanks again
smile.gif

peaklapel1089

Reaction score
I can confirm that the Fitzgerald is a bit slimmer than the Regent -- for example, the Fitzgerald has 2.5" lapels and the Regent has 3" lapels.
I have two 40R Fitzgeralds and I was going to measure them for you, but they have been altered too much to be of help to you. The Regent I have is practically unaltered but it is a 41R. If measurements of that suit would help you, just PM me.
What I like best about the Regent is that some models have the dual vent; I don't think that's true of the Fitzgerald.
As StopPolloition says, the Fitzgerald is a conservative-looking suit even though it is trim-fitting. If that appeals to you (as opposed to something that is more noticeably trendy) that's what I would recommend.

maxgohan

Reaction score
Although I do want a dual vent suit I'm afraid i may have to alter the jacket for a better fit around my waist and a dual vent, I would imagine, would make it harder to alter properly (and surely more expensive).

If you don't mind posting the measurements of the Regent that would be much appreciated, I am also going to try calling one of their locations in the states and see if a sales person can measure one off the rack for me.

Thanks again,

peaklapel1089

Reaction score
The 41R Regent measurements:
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 17.5"
Shoulder seam to end of sleeve: 25"
From top of collar to bottom of jacket (back side): 32"
Waist at top button (jacket laying flat, measured across): 20"

Incidentally, I measured shoulder-to-shoulder seam on my 2 fitzgeralds and one was slightly less than 17.5" and the other was slightly more.

maxgohan

Reaction score
Thanks, all your help is much appreciated.

all this research if actually pretty useful, learning so much...

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
I have two 39R Fitzs; I'm 6'0/160, 8" drop. Had to get the waist taken in a little, but that's easy. If you can figure out how to work the logistics (i.e., getting it sent to you? having a friend pick it up?), BB should be able to do the alterations for free. It's a great suit, slim, conservative. Only problem is that 39R is, in my experience, really hard to find, even if you have a SA look around at other stores for one -- at least during sales time. ETA: They've had slight alterations, but that shouldn't affect the major measurements if you'd like me to take them when I get home this afternoon.

maxgohan

Reaction score
if you wouldn't mind that would be MUCH appreciated.

also if you can would you be able to tell me how the pants are on this?
I am a waist 32 but when i purchased my H&m Slim fit pants i had to go up to a 34R so i can actually get my leg to fit in the thigh area....

i just compared my Perry Ellis Portfolio (size 32) pants to the H&M (size 34) pants and the H&m pants are a full inch shorter in the length across the thigh (laid em out flat) even though they are one size up...

maxgohan

Reaction score
i'm just concerned about the thigh area, the bottom of my pants between the H&m and the Perry Ellis ones i have are the same, just the H&m ones are tight in the thigh area and then even our after the knee...

maxgohan

Reaction score
okay guys, tonight i visited a high end men's store here in Toronto (Harry Rosen)
i tried on a few suits, all slim fit, Hugo Boss, z-zegna, armani and lastly the dolce gabbana

i tried the 40R jacket for all of the above brands and while i had it on I asked the rep to measure the shoulder seam to shoulder seam width for me and got
hugo boss - 18in
z-zegna - 17.5in
dolce gabbana - 18in

i LOVED the way the dolce gabbana looked on me, infact when i got home i called a rep at Neiman Marcus to get me some more measurements,
26in sleeve
31in length

okay and now for the twister....
i called BB aswell and spoke to a rep and he gave me some measurements he had in his database for a 40R fitzgerald jacket
18.6in S2S width (wtf?)
16.75in sleeve (i guess it's a short sleeve? wtf)

he also told me that the S2S width and sleeve is the same for both the Regent and Fitzgerald jackets, and told me the Fitz just has higher armholes and is a bit slimmer....

anyways, i guess i will call them back tomorrow and have someone pull one off the rack and measure it to get some more accurate numbers....

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxgohan
okay guys, tonight i visited a high end men's store here in Toronto (Harry Rosen) i tried on a few suits, all slim fit, Hugo Boss, z-zegna, armani and lastly the dolce gabbana i tried the 40R jacket for all of the above brands and while i had it on I asked the rep to measure the shoulder seam to shoulder seam width for me and got hugo boss - 18in z-zegna - 17.5in dolce gabbana - 18in i LOVED the way the dolce gabbana looked on me, infact when i got home i called a rep at Neiman Marcus to get me some more measurements, 26in sleeve 31in length okay and now for the twister.... i called BB aswell and spoke to a rep and he gave me some measurements he had in his database for a 40R fitzgerald jacket 18.6in S2S width (wtf?) 16.75in sleeve (i guess it's a short sleeve? wtf) he also told me that the S2S width and sleeve is the same for both the Regent and Fitzgerald jackets, and told me the Fitz just has higher armholes and is a bit slimmer.... anyways, i guess i will call them back tomorrow and have someone pull one off the rack and measure it to get some more accurate numbers....
I don't think those Fitzgerald measurements are quite accurate. I had a 42L and I think the shoulder was 18.5 The sleeve on that measurement is probably measured from the bottom of the armhole. I think the sleeve is typically going to be 25.5 or so in a Brooks Brothers regular, but this doesn't really matter because you should adjust it to your exact length anyway. Also, I don't recommend sizing up or down in the Fitzgerald.

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
i typed the measurements in to my screen last night, forgot to post it, and then firefox crashed. i'll remeasure tonight.

the sleeve measurement is definitely from the armpit; i think mine was 25.5" along the outer edge. i think the shoulder to shoulder width is from the outside, because mine seam to seam was more like 17, 17.5", something like that.

maxgohan

Reaction score
haha ok i'm going crazy here
I just got off the phone from a BB rep who works in men's at the madison location

he is telling me that the Regent is actually slimmer than the Fitzgerald
now he sounded like he knew what he was talking about....now i just don't know what to do at all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads