• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rugby solid university oxfords

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have any of the oxford sport shirts from rugby?

http://rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?prod...goryId=3372180

wondering how slim they fit if at all. would a small compare to an H&M easy iron small or a jcrew secret wash small?

i know heard that Rugby is slimmer than Polo custom fit oxfords but are they shorter because Polo custom fit sports shirt are too long to wear without tucking in.

thanks

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are too long to wear untucked, at least for me. I'm 5'9"ish and I wear a small. They are also not appreciably slimmer in the body than J. Crew tailored fit oxfords (both measure 20" p2p).

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
they are slightly slimmer than j crew but nowhere near band of outsiders or hickey

the fabrics/collars are superior to j crew

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks yeah i wanted to wear these out not tucked so i guess this is a dead end.

appreciate the help

skiwebster

Reaction score
I sort of agree. Although I feel they are a good deal smaller than J Crew's shirts. I wear smalls in J Crew but a small in a rugby oxford is too tight for me. I mean it fits and all, but I'm pretty sure if it ever shrinks, I wouldn't be able to get it on. Rugby's length is actually longer than J Crew's however, so you definetly have to tuck it in.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL's Rugby line is slimmer than their Custom Fit shirts right?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW:
Rugby small OCBD
rugby.jpg

BoO small OCBD
boo.jpg

I've also been in the market for nice OCBD's that have a BoO-like fit, and I think there are better options than Rugby. Hickey, as well as Kent Wang x Thick as Thieves make oxfords that are closer to a BoO fit.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the solid colored oxfords are slimmer than the striped ones. the solid one is short enough for me to wear untucked (6'1 for reference) in a M

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
they are slightly slimmer than j crew
Maybe I have a different cut, but I just measured and my Rugby University Oxford from last summer has the same chest measurements as a J. Crew oxford I got last month.

Cosmonaut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
FWIW:
Rugby small OCBD
rugby.jpg

BoO small OCBD
boo.jpg

I've also been in the market for nice OCBD's that have a BoO-like fit, and I think there are better options than Rugby. Hickey, as well as Kent Wang x Thick as Thieves make oxfords that are closer to a BoO fit.

how far back does your hair start on the left side?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut
how far back does your hair start on the left side?

If that's a shot at his hair, that's a bit unwarranted.

wmmk - Have you made the KWxTaT purchase yet? As soon as I can sell some things off I'll be ordering one from them for sure as the fit and materials look fantastic and truly slim fitting.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^it's actually not as far as it looks in the photos. the asymmetry also makes it look worse. i've recently been to style it less asymmetrically and will also get a haircut soon. I've rocked some pretty terrible haircuts in my time...
Originally Posted by tonio028
wmmk - Have you made the KWxTaT purchase yet? As soon as I can sell some things off I'll be ordering one from them for sure as the fit and materials look fantastic and truly slim fitting.
No, not yet. I'm waiting for the Gilt sale, and if there's nothing really good and cheap on there, I'll pull the trigger on a couple KWxTaT shirts. The one thing I worry about with the KWxTaT shirts is that the shoulders apparently run a bit smaller than in BoO shirts. I'll post fit pics when I get them.

Cosmonaut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
If that's a shot at his hair, that's a bit unwarranted.

no it wasn't. it just looks like it's growing in full on the other side, so i dunno if it was some kind of effect caused by the angle or whatever.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
^^it's actually not as far as it looks in the photos. the asymmetry also makes it look worse. i've recently been to style it less asymmetrically and will also get a haircut soon. I've rocked some pretty terrible haircuts in my time...

No, not yet. I'm waiting for the Gilt sale, and if there's nothing really good and cheap on there, I'll pull the trigger on a couple KWxTaT shirts.

The one thing I worry about with the KWxTaT shirts is that the shoulders apparently run a bit smaller than in BoO shirts. I'll post fit pics when I get them.

Gilt sale for? Hickey I assume or did I miss something? Yeah I guess they do run tight, but I thought the neck and pit measurments were a tad more forgiving which could balance it out some. I'll be looking into them soon too, but if you do get one in definately post some pics for comparison.

Originally Posted by Cosmonaut
no it wasn't. it just looks like it's growing in full on the other side, so i dunno if it was some kind of effect caused by the angle or whatever.

No harm no foul. Some people get a bit off-topic and too quick to criticize on the personal level and it just gets overbearing. Carry on my man.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could anyone confirm if the Rugby line is slimmer than RL's Custom fit shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads