• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike540

Reaction score
I'd be interested in some type of thrift trade thread also. I've got a bunch of great stuff I've been unable to pass up but that doesn't work for me. There are also things I would like but have difficulty finding. I had planned on just doing a For Sale or Trade thread in B&S but just haven't got around to it. As was suggested earlier, maybe just a pinned thread would work with an introduction from each member stating your sizes and anything specific you're looking for and what you have to trade. I understand the spirit of it but I think the big problem will be what was also mentioned earlier; you might want something I have but you don't have anything to trade that will fit me so I think there has to be a sale price listed as well.

on the thrifting front:
Ventured into Toronto this week . I had a day off and had to go for some personal business that was only going to take an hour or two. Toronto is just far enough away that I rarely go but close enough that I decided to spend most of the day shopping.
Mapped out a bunch of shops. I think I hit 10 or 11. Unfortunately expectations were high and I was somewhat dissapointed. I had visions of returning with a car full of Brioni, Kiton etc.
Got off to a bad start, nothing at the first two shops, a mainline Zegna suit at the third for $12.99. The jacket fit great, got all excited and then took a closer look at the pants. The guy must have sat on a cheesegrater or something.
Passed on a bunch of OK things and ended up buying a Zegna casual shirt, Boss sportcoat, 4 Eton shirts, 2 Scottish cashmere sweaters (Peter Scott and Lyle&Scott), a Burberry carcoat, a nicer than usual Boss dress shirt and a Brooks Bros. dress shirt. Prices anywhere from Salvation Army $3.99 shirts to Value Village $19.99 on the Burberry.
-M

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
Could you possibly do a pinned thread in buying and selling for this?

+1

Sounds like a good compromise

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

We can always see how it's working out, and I'm sure it will evolve into something either way.

Scored another Brioni sportjacket today. This time a grey glen plaid with blue accents in a summer weight wool. My only complaint is that it's ventless. Otherwise it's definitely a nice find.
Also, a Gieves and Hawkes navy blazer made by Belvest.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
I can't find anything in 46 which is my size. I think an exchange would be a great idea as well. You could post your item and what you are looking to swap for. Nataku runs across Hermes Ties all the time. He might be willing to swap two of those for say a certain sport coat or pair of shoes.
Just found 2 Canali blazers, one in 46, one 44. I recall that I should have another Canali 46 and a few 44's, that I bought before, thinking I might be able to trade with someone, or just give them to my friend. In the same shop, I found a bunch of pants, 1 Brioni, 3 Zegna, 3 Canali, all with waist 40-42, expect one Canali that is in my size (waist 32). Passed 1 Zegna and 1 Canali due to moth holes. I think the pants and blazers should belong to the same guy. BTW, my size is 36-39 jacket, and 32-33" waist, 8.5-9.5 shoes, 15.5-16.5/32-33 shirts.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Just found 2 Canali blazers, one in 46, one 44. I recall that I should have another Canali 46 and a few 44's, that I bought before, thinking I might be able to trade with someone, or just give them to my friend.

In the same shop, I found a bunch of pants, 1 Brioni, 3 Zegna, 3 Canali, all with waist 40-42, expect one Canali that is in my size (waist 32). Passed 1 Zegna and 1 Canali due to moth holes. I think the pants and blazers should belong to the same guy.

BTW, my size is 36-39 jacket, and 32-33 waist.

Canali
smile.gif

I can go with a 38 waist or a 40 and take them in. Although since I've hurt my knee and can't play tennis 40's fit better then they used to.

vilinx

Reaction score
Hey,

Thrift store near me has a size 52R Canali suit (and pants) for around $20; For Syd Jerome in Chicago if anyone wants me to find it.

Vil

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
If memory serves, VMan (I think) started a barter thread, probably in the old Buying & Selling. A search would probably turn it up. The problem that Doc raises is the issue. Barter is great when it works, but money was invented for when it doesn't.

Trading works great in theory, but in practice they are hard to work out. The reality of the situation is that if someone finds that charcoal pinstripe 44L Oxxford suit that I covet, I don't have something to trade in his size or something that interests him unless I have a whole closet full of trade bait. And even then I am emailing a bunch of photos and measurements to 1 person when I could just as easily put it all out for a group of people. I suppose that ties would be great trade currency because a regular tie actually fits most of us.

As you say, that's what money was invented for. If I thrift a few nice ties and sell them for $20, and then turn around a buy a BB shirt for $20 then I have kept it revenue neutral which is mostly the goal in trading anyway. The difference is that using money has added flexibility and liquidity to the process.

Ideally someone would come up with a way to restrict buying to those who are active sellers. One possibility would involve some self-policing by encouraging sellers to only sell to those who actively post items for sale. Perhaps having a gentlemen's rule that one is not supposed to buy anything unless he has offered something for sale within the last two weeks. It's not absolutely enforceable, but then if Joe Blow who I have never heard of makes an offer to buy my inexpensive lot of BB ties, I would at least give the listing 12 hours or so to see if a regular seller wants the lot. Having people willing to go out and buy up a good volume of items and then sell those things for a small profit is what makes that kind of board work. If I am going make that effort then I want to be able to buy stuff inexpensively also. Others who don't want to go through the trouble of thrifting, posting pics & measurements, and shipping should somehow be restricted from buying since they are not contributing to the spirit of the forum.

Another idea which would keep the riff raff out would be to only open that forum to member with a certain number of posts. That would tend to keep out people who only want to exploit the exchange.

I would be happy to see lists of what people are looking for and try to thrift things to fill those needs. If I could sell things with a low markup and then buy things that fit me for the same kind of price, then that works for everybody. It would also be an opportunity to check interest in a few items which we have seen but haven't bought. Example: one of my main stores has two jackets sized about 42R, a John Alexander and a Tom James. Both are decent looking houndstooth patterns, probably donated by the same person. Is there any demand for those two items?

emptym

Reaction score
^I think your idea about limiting buying to people who also sell or to people w/ a number of posts might work. I also like your idea about a time delay for non-members. I'd probably extend it from 12 hrs to 48 or something since some days I can't check SF.

I have a pair of black RLPL half-brogues in 11 D that don't fit me that I could trade. I bought them thinking I'd give to my brother or a friend. My brother didn't want them, and my friend couldn't fit them. So I still have them. I'd be happier trading them than selling them.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Another idea which would keep the riff raff out would be to only open that forum to member with a certain number of posts. That would tend to keep out people who only want to exploit the exchange.

i feel like a post-count based way of getting into a forum where great items are available might have a bad effect on the forum in general - people would start running around making crap posts just so they can have a chance at picking up that pair of monkstraps they've been pining for.

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
I for one would definitely be interested in a trading forum. I live in chicago and while thrifting is great for me in terms of shirts, shoes, and ties, I have a hard time finding quality items like suits, sport coats and pants in my size. I often pass on great items not in my size both at thrift stores but also at discount stores just because i figure i should leave it for someone who could actually use it or I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling said items.

On a good note, I picked up a 100% cashmere sweater blazer by PRL. 3 button, notched lapel, velvet around the neck, working arm buttonholes and a flattering slim fit. Original retail was 1600.00, I paid 1/16th that price. Good day!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hooker4186
i feel like a post-count based way of getting into a forum where great items are available might have a bad effect on the forum in general - people would start running around making crap posts just so they can have a chance at picking up that pair of monkstraps they've been pining for.

It could also be at the sellers/traders digression. We all know who the regulars are on this board so that could help too.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike540
on the thrifting front:
Ventured into Toronto this week . I had a day off and had to go for some personal business that was only going to take an hour or two. Toronto is just far enough away that I rarely go but close enough that I decided to spend most of the day shopping.
Mapped out a bunch of shops. I think I hit 10 or 11. Unfortunately expectations were high and I was somewhat dissapointed. I had visions of returning with a car full of Brioni, Kiton etc.
Got off to a bad start, nothing at the first two shops, a mainline Zegna suit at the third for $12.99. The jacket fit great, got all excited and then took a closer look at the pants. The guy must have sat on a cheesegrater or something.
Passed on a bunch of OK things and ended up buying a Zegna casual shirt, Boss sportcoat, 4 Eton shirts, 2 Scottish cashmere sweaters (Peter Scott and Lyle&Scott), a Burberry carcoat, a nicer than usual Boss dress shirt and a Brooks Bros. dress shirt. Prices anywhere from Salvation Army $3.99 shirts to Value Village $19.99 on the Burberry.
-M

Wow! I didn't know that there were good thrifty deals to be had in Toronto. Time for me to get out there and try my luck!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If someone starts the thread, link it to me via PM or TransMod and I'll pin it.

mike540

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
Wow! I didn't know that there were good thrifty deals to be had in Toronto. Time for me to get out there and try my luck!

I don't know that I consider a few shirts, 2 sweaters and a couple of OK coats all that successfull. I was out all day and covered a lot of ground. For what it's worth, the Salvation Army at Jane/Lawrence was ok and I had better luck in the north end. The Value Village at Weston/HWY 7 was pretty good and very large and the Value Village on Yonge in Richmond Hill is OK. Got the Burberry and 3 Eton's there. There might have been more but I ran out of time. There's a tiny Salvation Army next door to it I got a couple shirts at this time but nothing on my last visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads