• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Import Duty

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
U.S. Customs will tax anything larger than $200 for personal use. In order to avoid such nonesense just ask whoever is sending you the merchandise to put on the customs declaration amount less than $200 U.S. and make sure to label "For personal use".

You're complaining over a $200 import limit before tax? Try paying 25% VAT on anything imported worth more than $30... (Oh, and the shipping company usually charges $20 or so for "processing").

Labeling stuff with "no commercial value", "product sample", "gift", "for personal use", etc. is fraud, by the way.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
You're complaining over a $200 import limit before tax? Try paying 25% VAT on anything imported worth more than $30... (Oh, and the shipping company usually charges $20 or so for "processing").

Labeling stuff with "no commercial value", "product sample", "gift", "for personal use", etc. is fraud, by the way.

I think you're confused. Saying something $2000 is worth $200 is fraud. Saying that it's for personal use is not since that's what its used for. I'm not reselling it as most of the people here aren't.

Keroberos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
This thread has got me nervous since I have some Loakes on the way.
confused.gif

What method does Pediwear use to ship to the US?

Royal Mail.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Yes. FedEx will most likely charge you a handling fee.

Originally Posted by apropos
My gosh - then what is the seller paying for?

My point is that FedEX and other such shippers will go out of their way to make sure it goes through customs so that they can claim the handling fee.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't the WTO and NAFTA supposed to be getting rid of this?

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
My point is that FedEX and other such shippers will go out of their way to make sure it goes through customs so that they can claim the handling fee.

FedEx and UPS have Customs facilities on-site - it's not an option. When an international package flies into Memphis, it goes thru the process w/o question. By choosing one of these carriers you are, by default, giving them the brokerage responsibility for your 'importing' activity...which you will pay for, generally. Also, the onus is on you to be aware of the duty classification and any licensing issues. For example, you cannot buy an alligator belt or wallet from off shore and have it shipped here without the proper CITES paperwork, and a Fish & Wildlife License. Any company would know this and not deliver, but you can't get something like this from Ebay/UK, for example. At least legally.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Isn't the WTO and NAFTA supposed to be getting rid of this?

If only.

They're too busy arguing over farm quotas to actually do something useful...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
FedEx and UPS have Customs facilities on-site - it's not an option. When an international package flies into Memphis, it goes thru the process w/o question. By choosing one of these carriers you are, by default, giving them the brokerage responsibility for your 'importing' activity...which you will pay for, generally. Also, the onus is on you to be aware of the duty classification and any licensing issues. For example, you cannot buy an alligator belt or wallet from off shore and have it shipped here without the proper CITES paperwork, and a Fish & Wildlife License. Any company would know this and not deliver, but you can't get something like this from Ebay/UK, for example. At least legally.

Ah. The more you know!

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that when shipped through regular post, and if the goods are clothes/shoes for personal use, they are not slapped with an import tax unless the value is $2000 or above (not $200). I've never been slapped with a duty fee, and I have purchased clothes of $300+ properly labeled and no fee.

BevisFrondFan

Reaction score
Hello. New member here. Does anyone have a link to what the actual US import duty schedule should be? I tried to google and could not find anything like a table of duty versus value. I am interested in buying shoes from England would like to know what my liability might be (Price > $200 equivalent).

I tried the search function for Styleforum but did not see anything other than members' varying experiences regarding duties being assessed or not being assessed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DrPat

Reaction score
When having things shipped to Switzerland I always ask the seller to
(1) Declare purchase a gift
(2) Send invoice separately

Some will do this and some won't. I'm not sure if it depends on the country or origin but below is my experience so far. I've only gotten nailed at customs once, and that was from a package from the US. Almost all of my packages have been opened though.

From the US: retailer said it is illegal and refused
From Australia: declared as gift and no invoice in package. True value of item written on box.
From the UK: depends on the company. Some will, some won't.
From Hong Kong: declared as gift with no invoice. $20 value stated instead of the actual value of $200 (I didn't even have to ask for this)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BevisFrondFan
Hello. New member here. Does anyone have a link to what the actual US import duty schedule should be? I tried to google and could not find anything like a table of duty versus value. I am interested in buying shoes from England would like to know what my liability might be (Price > $200 equivalent).

I tried the search function for Styleforum but did not see anything other than members' varying experiences regarding duties being assessed or not being assessed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

See chapter 64.
http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm
When it comes down to it though, it ends up being around 8.5% to 10%.

jon5986

Reaction score
I paid $56 on my last pair of shoes. Sometimes I pay nothing.....

Just depends on who is sending them and the value.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Unless you can get the shipper to declare a low value or declare as a gift, it's best to ask shippers to ship with anyone but Fed. Ex. or UPS. As mentioned above, they usually bill you $25 just for their "efforts" at customs brokering, which is complete BS. Then your package is scrutinized by customs so you may end up paying duty as well. Much better off getting shippers to ship with their local/national postal service (i.e., Royal Mail, POS Malaysia etc.) so that it is passed onto the USPS. I have yet to be assessed duty on anything delivered by USPS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads