• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not to persist in being a buzzkill, but I would suspect that most guys who would sneer at thrifting aren't buying used clothes to start with. The nice stuff would disappear from the thrift forum just as fast as in regular B&S, unless you really insisted on trades. Then, I imagine, things would slow way down. But I'd be pretty irritated if there was something I wanted and had nothing to trade, or the other guy traded it to someone else while we were negotiating.

Maybe you guys could start a thread in B&S and see how it goes? My reluctance is just having yet another forum to check, especially when I suspect it won't get that much traffic, in terms of items posted.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Not to persist in being a buzzkill, but I would suspect that most guys who would sneer at thrifting aren't buying used clothes to start with. The nice stuff would disappear from the thrift forum just as fast as in regular B&S, unless you really insisted on trades. Then, I imagine, things would slow way down. But I'd be pretty irritated if there was something I wanted and had nothing to trade, or the other guy traded it to someone else while we were negotiating.

Maybe you guys could start a thread in B&S and see how it goes? My reluctance is just having yet another forum to check, especially when I suspect it won't get that much traffic, in terms of items posted.

I guess there is some logic in what you are saying. Another solution is a trade or list a $$ price in case you have nothing the other person wants. Its hard to create something in good spirit when there is $$ in the offing.

I'd be willing to kick off a thread but dont know how it would be managed. Maybe the first post are rules and then the thrifting community can go to town??

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think all points thus far raised are valid. I suggest we try it out and see how it works. If it's a flop it's a flop. But, it may actually work for the the few of us who are generally interested.

Perhaps a good way to start, beyond some rules or guidelines, is for interested members to give a brief introduction including their size and/or preferences. That way, not only can it be a thrift exchange, but members who become familiar with others' sizes/preferences different than their own, can grab suitable stuff while thrifting and "pass it on" as opposed to "passing on it", as is likely occurring now. Personally, I've often passed on otherwise good stuff because it's not my size or something I'd wear. But if I know there's someone here who will most likely want it, I might grab it and offer it to that person. I mean as it is, you see all the time in the thrifting thread where people have picked something up that's not in their size, only to have a half dozen members inquire as to "how much?" This might be a good way to set something up in advance that members can rely on.

Just some ideas here. Looking at recent finds, it certainly appears that the thrifting has been generally very good all around.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I think all points thus far raised are valid. I suggest we try it out and see how it works. If it's a flop it's a flop. But, it may actually work for the the few of us who are generally interested.

Perhaps a good way to start, beyond some rules or guidelines, is for interested members to give a brief introduction including their size and/or preferences. That way, not only can it be a thrift exchange, but members who become familiar with others' sizes/preferences different than their own, can grab suitable stuff while thrifting and "pass it on" as opposed to "passing on it", as is likely occurring now. Personally, I've often passed on otherwise good stuff because it's not my size or something I'd wear. But if I know there's someone here who will most likely want it, I might grab it and offer it to that person. I mean as it is, you see all the time in the thrifting thread where people have picked something up that's not in their size, only to have a half dozen members inquire as to "how much?" This might be a good way to set something up in advance that members can rely on.

Just some ideas here. Looking at recent finds, it certainly appears that the thrifting has been generally very good all around.

How many folks do you actually think would take part in something like this? If its not like 100 then it can never generate any traction.

Take 100 people. You have something you found, say a pair of shoes, that pair might only fit 20 of the 100 if its a common size, and then from there, only a few, 4 or 5, might like and need somethign like that --- and then you are going to happen to ahve something they want also.

Hmmm, rationalizing this a bit, it seems like there are not going to be too many connections being made that will result in acutal trades.

Anyone disagree with my maths?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Guys, on a photo forum that I frequent there is a thread that is solely for "paying it forward" where people post an item that they no longer need or want, and the first person to respond will take it off their hands. In return, the person who took the item should then post something up for grabs shortly thereafter. Maybe this can be incorporated into this idea somehow.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Guys, on a photo forum that I frequent there is a thread that is solely for "paying it forward" where people post an item that they no longer need or want, and the first person to respond will take it off their hands. In return, the person who took the item should then post something up for grabs shortly thereafter. Maybe this can be incorporated into this idea somehow.

Too many Conne's on this forum. Doubt it will work.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Got a small Prada bag for $1.99 at GW. But I am not sure about the authenticity, what do you think? ]
Fake. Hardware and the triangle fonting and markings are off.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
How many folks do you actually think would take part in something like this? If its not like 100 then it can never generate any traction. Take 100 people. You have something you found, say a pair of shoes, that pair might only fit 20 of the 100 if its a common size, and then from there, only a few, 4 or 5, might like and need somethign like that --- and then you are going to happen to ahve something they want also. Hmmm, rationalizing this a bit, it seems like there are not going to be too many connections being made that will result in acutal trades. Anyone disagree with my maths?
I'm not sure - I'm assuming it'll be the same general group we have posting in here. For a rule, I personally think that if a person were to use the "purchase" option, they should be a seasoned member and not just some new guy who just joined trying to get a deal and really doesn't give a rat's ass about the thrifting game. The point of the thread would be to think of other's as well as yourself while you're out and about. As for me, I picked up a few things today to trade/sell if we do get this thing going.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Yup, I too think this is a good idea. I've found a lot of stuff in 44-48 sizes that I sometimes leave behind. Passing the good deals on is a good idea.

I can't find anything in 46 which is my size.

I think an exchange would be a great idea as well. You could post your item and what you are looking to swap for. Nataku runs across Hermes Ties all the time. He might be willing to swap two of those for say a certain sport coat or pair of shoes.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
Nataku runs across Hermes Ties all the time. He might be willing to swap two of those for say a certain sport coat or pair of shoes.

Indeed I would.
smile.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in!
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was asked to consider this idea.

I don't think it's going to be enough to warrant a whole subforum, but I could definitely see an ongoing thread working well. It might be worth looking at Basenotes' wardrobe/swap list system as well. And actually the easiest way to do it might be to make a shared spreadsheet (Google Docs?) that everyone can enter all their "haves" in and another with all the "wants" and then people can search both (sort by size etc) to see if they can make a swap offer. Thinking about this, I kind of wish I had put all the thrift items I have into a spreadsheet since then I'd have a good idea of what I have and people could look and get something they want. As it is I'm going to be sending a couple of big boxes off to be sold on ebay consignment because I just don't want to deal with all of it anymore.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you possibly do a pinned thread in buying and selling for this?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a finds related note, today I found: Vintage gray blazer from Oxxford (dated 1970). Slim lapels, higher button stance, very TB-ish. Patch pockets Hamilton custom shirt from fall '07. Fits too small
frown.gif
Two Canali b/d shirts. Passed up a couple Robert Talbott shirts in a 16x33. Spread collar with blue/white vert. stripes and I can't recall the other one's pattern. If there's any interest in these I will go back tomorrow and grab them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads