• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are 6x2 DB suits so much more common than 4x2?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
There is a big difference between what people notice about other people (how they are dressed, how they behave, what their hair looks like, etc.) and what they tell you about, especially if you don't know the other person. Complimenting a stranger on a nice tie, jacket or shoes is fine, but starting to criticize their jacket lapels, shoelaces, buttons or (lack of) waist suppression is just rude. You also can't compare postings on an internet forum where people ask for opinions and specific word of advice/improvements and general compliments from people you meet randomly or casually. If you actually ask people to comment such details as your jacket lapels or the cut of your suit, you may find that some people actually do care and notice, but that doesn't mean they will tell you unless you ask. I notice odd things about people every day, but I don't go up them and lecture them about how they should dress or what they should or shouldn't wear.
There may be a big difference but it is very hard to measure which is why I wanted to see if Yachtie, because of his style choices had been sacked and ostracized. It appears that in spite of his choices which according to some posters here should be sure fire clunkers, he is able to maintain some semblance of respect. Whether other factors come to into play, such as an agreeable disposition or a sense of self assured-ness not understood by certain clothing posters, is a matter for consideration. Now, if as I read mentioned here over and over that the public generally does not care about tailored clothes much then who are we talking about and what's their frame of reference? It could be that some of the posters who are concerned about normalcy in clothing are the same ones who scan for it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
There may be a big difference but it is very hard to measure which is why I wanted to see if Yachtie, because of his style choices had been sacked and ostracized. It appears that in spite of his choices which according to some posters here should be sure fire clunkers, he is able to maintain some semblance of respect. Whether other factors come to into play, such as an agreeable disposition or a sense of self assured-ness not understood by certain clothing posters, is a matter for consideration.

Now, if as I read mentioned here over and over that the public generally does not care about tailored clothes much then who are we talking about and what's their frame of reference?

It could be that some of the posters who are concerned about normalcy in clothing are the same ones who scan for it.

What Style Choices?!?
plain.gif

laugh.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And what is this "normalcy" stuff? Are we really back in the Harding administration?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
And what is this "normalcy" stuff? Are we really back in the Harding administration?

Hear hear!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

"normalcy"= talons of propriety

I meet an individual and sooner or later we talk about someone we both know and because they know I am a tailor they will comment on that persons style of dressing. Almost 100% of the time they pinpoint something specific. The shoulder, the collar, jacket length etc.. It really surprises me but it is really, really common and I am usually surprised by the awareness of the comments. Believe me, people notice what you wear and how it fits. The other common thing is they usually don't have familiarity with clothing vocabulary and will ask, "what do you call this part of jacket" and then make a comment.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
"normalcy"= talons of propriety

I meet an individual and sooner or later we talk about someone we both know and because they know I am a tailor they will comment on that persons style of dressing. Almost 100% of the time they pinpoint something specific. The shoulder, the collar, jacket length etc.. It really surprises me but it is really, really common and I am usually surprised by the awareness of the comments. Believe me, people notice what you wear and how it fits. The other common thing is they usually don't have familiarity with clothing vocabulary and will ask, "what do you call this part of jacket" and then make a comment.

Aah, but aren't those people already somewhat self-selected as they're interested in clothes enough to see you?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Aah, but aren't those people already somewhat self-selected as they're interested in clothes enough to see you?

I know for a fact that Despos gets a monthly Chinese food bill, so he appears to have contacts outside in the real world.

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not really. Happens with co-workers a lot of the time.
Believe it or not, many of my clients are not into clothes in the SF sense. They buy for fit, quality, convenience and working with someone who knows a little bit about clothes so they don't have to.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. Happens with co-workers a lot of the time.
Believe it or not, many of my clients are not into clothes in the SF sense. They buy for fit, quality, convenience and working with someone who knows a little bit about clothes so they don't have to.

Hmmm. Then maybe it's my bubbly personality.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Don't worry...Yachtie averages them all out for you.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads