• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Import Duty

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Too bad the Norwegian customs service stopped falling for the "gift" trick years ago. Internet shopping has become so common the recent years, especially while the dollar was low, that the customs people pretty much know every trick in the book by now. I stopped bothering about these things and realized I can't avoid the 25% VAT long time ago. After all, it's still cheaper than shopping in retail stores most of the time, not to mention you can buy stuff you can't find in stores.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
You are doing the merchant a big disservice by leaving your post up.

Agreed, you have confirmed my earlier suspicions. Thank you.

bobbers

Reaction score
Not too long ago I ordered a few meters of fabric from the UK and it was shipped to the US using UPS. When it arrived, there was no amount due to UPS, though I was expecting to pay at least something.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobbers
Not too long ago I ordered a few meters of fabric from the UK and it was shipped to the US using UPS. When it arrived, there was no amount due to UPS, though I was expecting to pay at least something.
I am curious if they might charge you later? I ordered a pair of shoes once and ~6 months later, I got a bill from DHL for the duties. That was kind of a kick in the pants seeing as I had forgotten all about that possibility. Do FedEx and UPS generally bill for customs after the package has been delivered?

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Do FedEx and UPS generally bill for customs after the package has been delivered?

Yes. All "serious" shipping companies do this.

g-double

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
Anyone has experience with items shipped from Canada to US? Is there any carrier that doesnt charge duty/customs for such shipments?

I used to order quite a bit of hockey equipment from Canada, and I never paid duty/customs on it. Additionally, I didn't pay as much in tax either....

This was roughly 2 years ago, best of luck.

G

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just informed that my next pair of shoes coming from the UK will be shipping via FedEx. Should I be alarmed?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I was just informed that my next pair of shoes coming from the UK will be shipping via FedEx. Should I be alarmed?

Yes. FedEx will most likely charge you a handling fee.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just hinted to the seller that I would prefer they ship via Royal Mail. Hopefully if I do incur a charge it won't be so much.

jcc123

Reaction score
U.S. Customs will tax anything larger than $200 for personal use. In order to avoid such nonesense just ask whoever is sending you the merchandise to put on the customs declaration amount less than $200 U.S. and make sure to label "For personal use".

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, hopefully they take the sale price in the country of origin's currency into account.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
This thread has got me nervous since I have some Loakes on the way.
confused.gif

What method does Pediwear use to ship to the US?

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
Not shoes but I had a Charvet made in Paris last year, arrived with an additional $80 duty or so on it, I was unhappy to say the least.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Yes. FedEx will most likely charge you a handling fee.

Just got the Fedex tracking number. I guess if there's a silver lining they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads