• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Great finds, guys. Great job on putting that Oxxford together, 83glt.

Doc, I think I'm going to grab some white Levi's sometime soon.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
we need to have a thrift exchange on here

I think this is a great idea.

A thrift exachange area in BS would be perfect for many of us that find great stuff thats not in our size.

Rather than flipping it, an exchange marketplace would give everyone the opportunity to aggregate the thrift store finds into the community and benefit us all.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I think this is a great idea.

A thrift exachange area in BS would be perfect for many of us that find great stuff thats not in our size.

Rather than flipping it, an exchange marketplace would give everyone the opportunity to aggregate the thrift store finds into the community and benefit us all.

Great idea!

I have got some nice shoes in size 12D and a few sport coats from size US 44 to 50 that I don't know how to deal with. I will post picture if such a thread appears.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. A thrift exachange area in BS would be perfect for many of us that find great stuff thats not in our size. Rather than flipping it, an exchange marketplace would give everyone the opportunity to aggregate the thrift store finds into the community and benefit us all.
Yup, I too think this is a good idea. I've found a lot of stuff in 44-48 sizes that I sometimes leave behind. Passing the good deals on is a good idea.

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Picked up two Borrelli shirts for $8.00.

iap6132qh9.jpg

are they in your size? if not, what size and willing to sell?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Great idea!

I have got some nice shoes in size 12D and a few sport coats from size US 44 to 50 that I don't know how to deal with. I will post picture if such a thread appears.

Originally Posted by Nataku
Yup, I too think this is a good idea. I've found a lot of stuff in 44-48 sizes that I sometimes leave behind. Passing the good deals on is a good idea.

I"m 48L
bounce2.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku

Should we talk to the admins about this? I see no reason that this wont work?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Why don't you just list the stuff in B&S at the price you paid + shipping? Same thing without the need for another forum to check.

I think the idea was to create a no or minimal cash offset trading forum... I view BS for those who choose to thrift and flip for $$.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the idea was to create a no or minimal cash offset trading forum... I view BS for those who choose to thrift and flip for $$.

But how often are two people going to be able to work out a trade? If I have a 44R coat, what are the odds some 44R will have found a 38R coat (or other item in my size) I find appealing enough to do a direct swap? I'd guess very low.

The Trad thrift thread over at Andy's seems to have settled on offering stuff at relatively low prices.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
But how often are two people going to be able to work out a trade? If I have a 44R coat, what are the odds some 44R will have found a 38R coat (or other item in my size) I find appealing enough to do a direct swap? I'd guess very low.

The Trad thrift thread over at Andy's seems to have settled on offering stuff at relatively low prices.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing Doc. BTW, what is the marshall's near you? I may call them and see if they will ship.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If memory serves, VMan (I think) started a barter thread, probably in the old Buying & Selling. A search would probably turn it up. The problem that Doc raises is the issue. Barter is great when it works, but money was invented for when it doesn't.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

That and I think that this would be cool for just us thrift-hounds. Anyone who's not into thrifts will probably see the word "thrift" and pass it over. The B/S forum is filled with so many lurkers as it is something priced cheaply will be gone in a split second.

I'm not sure about you, but I do buy some things too good to pass up (Brioni, Oxxford, Isaia....) and hang onto them in the case someone will want it. I think there are a couple other guys on here who do the same thing. We can also use it as a lookout page, where we post our size and if someone finds what we're looking for, they post it up. There are only a handful of us who frequent this thread (20 members maybe), so it shouldn't be too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads