• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner at Per Se - Suit or Blazer?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
This is a subculture that's new to me. I would never dream of doing it and have never seen it done. I guess it feels a bit like those people walking around a city videotaping everything--instead of enjoying the experience now, they're recording it for future enjoyment. Perhaps that's unfair.
I just want to say that, much to gdl's surprise, I agree with Grimslade.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

And much to your collective surprise, I'd agree with both of you.
eek.gif
lookaround.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Originally Posted by gdl203
eek.gif
lookaround.gif

It's a newfangled development.

What's next? I fear that all this outlandish sharing of food photographs with friends...even instantaneously through devices known as cell phones...will lead to darker things, like posting pseudo-anonymous photographs of oneself in public media like the interwebz...perhaps, even photographs of closets.

Mark my words: if the latter ever happens, we're fucked. There will even be websites on which people discuss things anonymously about anonymous people on other websites.

- B

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it can get that bad. Closets?
crazy.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I have a friend with a food blog who does it, he's asian so I get to make racist comments; win/win.

If I extrapolate to other areas based just on those facts, I suspect you have a few more wins that you could concatenate to that string.

- B

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
eek.gif
lookaround.gif

eh.gif

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
This is a subculture that's new to me. I would never dream of doing it and have never seen it done. I guess it feels a bit like those people walking around a city videotaping everything--instead of enjoying the experience now, they're recording it for future enjoyment. Perhaps that's unfair.
It really isn't much different from people posting in WAYWT or recent purchases. I have an interest in knowing what dishes at a restaurant look and taste like, and I appreciate people who take time to document that. Same appreciation for those who take time to document the fit and look of a garment and their own fits

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
It really isn't much different from people posting in WAYWT or recent purchases. I have an interest in knowing what dishes at a restaurant look and taste like, and I appreciate people who take time to document that. Same appreciate for those who take time to document the fit and look of a garment and their fits
I agree with that to some extent. It's just that one is generally done in the privacy of one's home (except for Phat Guido of course) while the other one is very public. It transforms the experience of dining into a dining-slash-reporting experience, for the reporter-diners but also a little bit for the other diners around them. It doesn't really bother me that much most of the time to be honest, but I see a difference there.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
It really isn't much different from people posting in WAYWT or recent purchases. I have an interest in knowing what dishes at a restaurant look and taste like, and I appreciate people who take time to document that. Same appreciation for those who take time to document the fit and look of a garment and their own fits

Yes, it is.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with that to some extent. It's just that one is generally done in the privacy of one's home (except for Phat Guido of course) while the other one is very public. It transforms the experience of dining into a dining-slash-reporting experience, for the reporter-diners but also a little bit for the other diners around them. It doesn't really bother me that much most of the time to be honest, but I see a difference there.

I agree with this. I'm conflicted, as I do enjoy photos of dishes taken from a diner's perspective. I suppose as long as it doesn't intrude on other diners, it won't bother me.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree with that to some extent. It's just that one is generally done in the privacy of one's home (except for Phat Guido of course) while the other one is very public.

Into what category does the WAYWRN photographic motif of the public lavatory fit? Public or private?

It transforms the experience of dining into a dining-slash-reporting experience, for the reporter-diners but also a little bit for the other diners around them. It doesn't really bother me that much most of the time to be honest, but I see a difference there.

I agree with that.

It should be unnecessary to say that common sense, sensitivity to one's surroundings, and consideration for others should prevail. Even if one's community motivations are weak, self interest would suggest enjoying an expensive evening out in the ways that separate it from the every day.

Those are all things that underlie the OP's original question...is there merit to applying personal effort in the interest of contributing to a group experience that is only possible when everyone adheres to a standard?

I would like to think that this is merely a rhetorical question.

- B

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Into what category does the WAYWRN photographic motif of the public lavatory fit? Public or private?

Would that not depend on whether the public lavatory also served as principle residence?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why not hand your camera to the waiter at the beginning of the evening and ask him to take pics in the kitchen of every dish before he brings them out so you don't disturb anyone dining in your area.
plain.gif

After a meal at Alinea you are given a menu of the meal you just consumed. No pics.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Why not hand your camera to the waiter at the beginning of the evening and ask him to take pics in the kitchen of every dish before he brings them out so you don't disturb anyone dining in your area.
plain.gif

Why not just invade the kitchen entirely?

476797146_jpBY6-L.jpg

Originally Posted by Despos
After a meal at Alinea you are given a menu of the meal you just consumed. No pics.

Do they staple the bill to it? My Chinese take-out place does that.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads