• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Deal With Gilt Groupe Sales?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Some of their stuff is unjustifiably expensive yet everything seems out of stock.
Originally Posted by teddieriley
"unjustifiably expensive"? Items are on a discount right? If it's not "enough" discount for you, you can always move on. "Unjustifiable"...Gilt's business model justifies it. Apparently, they should not be making money right?
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i think what he means is in comparison to the recession-induced pricing you see nowadays. i still think though Gilt has a competitive sale price for most regular times. and you cant find all of these things in stores anyways.
I just think we've gotten too spoiled by the "fire sale/bargain basement/fell off a truck/90% off or NOTHING" sort of mentality we often have around here. Gilt's pricing for items is very good, very competitive, and for people who don't live near large closeout stores like Last Call, Off Fifth, better Marshall's, etc., a very good deal, from what I've seen.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
"unjustifiably expensive"? Items are on a discount right? If it's not "enough" discount for you, you can always move on. "Unjustifiable"...Gilt's business model justifies it. Apparently, they should not be making money right?

Not everything is on sale. Some of the wool RLBL suits they are selling now is more than the full retail prices at places like Harvey Nichols.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$700 for a black label suit, including a couple of solids on there, is an amazing price, especially in an assortment of sizes. They could easily have priced them $200 more and still sold them.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Not everything is on sale. Some of the wool RLBL suits they are selling now is more than the full retail prices at places like Harvey Nichols.

unclear.
you mean the gilt price is more than the full retail price of the same items at places like harvey nicols

or
you mean the gilt price is on a good discount, and the harvey nichols is selling them at full retail?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PocketCircle: I see suits on there priced $598 to $700 or thereabouts (though they are now sold out). How is that not on sale for a $1700-2000 suit?

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
unclear.
you mean the gilt price is more than the full retail price of the same items at places like harvey nicols

or
you mean the gilt price is on a good discount, and the harvey nichols is selling them at full retail?

a to be exact

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh? I'm confused. AFAIK every single item gilt is selling or has ever sold is at a discount. Nothing is sold at retail.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyway, happy shopping guys. Ignore my messages.

Maybe I should start buying and selling RLBL suits.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a to be exact

You mean the stores in England? Are we taking into account exchange rate? I'd like to see an example.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyway, happy shopping guys. Ignore my messages. Maybe I should start buying and selling RLBL suits.
What are you talking about? Who is selling at retail Black Label suits for less than $700? You are saying Gilt's suits aren't on sale; they are. You are saying their retail price at HN is less than $700. You'll need to justify that or provide an example, because that just doesn't make sense.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Now let say there are generously speaking about 10,000 members. They been around awhile so I would say that is a safe estimate.

You're way off on this one. They have over 500,000 members.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I've not bought anything- I do watch the Gilt sales and everything I've compared is discounted.

There's something to be said for rarity as well. Several things they sell I can't find anywhere else (onlne ayway) so If I want ity that badly I should technically I should be willing to pay near retail, even a little above. So a discount is a bonus.

The internet culture that demands that everything be available somewhere for 70% off will be the end of many clothing lines, and yet another nail in bepoke tailoring.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
What are you talking about? Who is selling at retail Black Label suits for less than $700?

You are saying Gilt's suits aren't on sale; they are. You are saying their retail price at HN is less than $700. You'll need to justify that or provide an example, because that just doesn't make sense.

as I said yesterday, I can easily find a RLBL suit at $700 or less at least 4 times a year both in NYC where I live and on the Ralph Lauren website.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyway, happy shopping guys. Ignore my messages. Maybe I should start buying and selling RLBL suits.
Like the NWT one I can't move in B&S for $475 shipped?
laugh.gif
The sale frenzy helps them move a lot of merch, I'd guess. Buy it now or it will be gone. Don't let it disappear out of your cart! I've managed this with a couple of huge B&S threads, but it seems to require a critical mass of desirable merch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads